• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Overdue Huddle debate: Gas or charcoal?

pstall

So I have 2 random grilling questions:

1. I love the whole pre heated cast iron skillet method of searing steaks using butter and then most times I finish it off on the grill but how the hell do you do that on a stove without grease splattering all over this kitchen floor? When the skillet is on such high heat and there is butter involved, even using a splatter guard is not going to prevent the mess because you have to take it off to turn the steaks. Every time I start to sear steaks that way, I can see the frustration on my GF's face as she goes to grab the Wet Swifter to prepare for clean up.

2. For propane users - I usually just do the propane exchange wherever convenient but last time I took my empty tank to BJ's and had them fill it up for about $10. I swear it seemed that I got about 1/2 the life out of that tank than I do when I just do an exchange. I thought it would last longer filling it up instead of doing the exchange. What gives?

I dont do skillet or butter.

Mediterranean sea salt and crushed black pepper. Less is more sometimes.

Use lemons to squeeze on there before you eat. Tasty.

I just hit up a gas station for propane.

So I have 2 random grilling questions:

1. I love the whole pre heated cast iron skillet method of searing steaks using butter and then most times I finish it off on the grill but how the hell do you do that on a stove without grease splattering all over this kitchen floor? When the skillet is on such high heat and there is butter involved, even using a splatter guard is not going to prevent the mess because you have to take it off to turn the steaks. Every time I start to sear steaks that way, I can see the frustration on my GF's face as she goes to grab the Wet Swifter to prepare for clean up.

2. For propane users - I usually just do the propane exchange wherever convenient but last time I took my empty tank to BJ's and had them fill it up for about $10. I swear it seemed that I got about 1/2 the life out of that tank than I do when I just do an exchange. I thought it would last longer filling it up instead of doing the exchange. What gives? 

yes there will be splatter...........the awesomeness of the steak should outweigh that.

You might have a tank thats leaky.........I've come across those. Go exchange it and then go back to BJ's.

Having them filled is the way to go.

PS...........$10 won't fill up a tank. My last visit was for over 3 lbs of gas and cost me over $15.

Archived