• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam needs to step up this year

He does, but let's not act like he's Vince Young. Cam will ball out if:

1. His o-line can give him adequate protection.

2. He is allowed to stay in the pocket and run the offense to a large extent.

His best quarterback play was the first few games of the season. Mediocre o-line, bad defense, no running game, slow receivers. And he was still dealing.

The offense will be better. And Cam will step up big time...

Remains to be seen, but I hope you are right. 

Protection problems mean he has to make quicker reads and get the ball out fast.

If your receivers are blanketed by defenders getting the ball out is just gonna result in alot of interceptions. You can't have slow receivers and a weak oline and no running game. That's what we had last season until they made changes. One these problems can be masked by good quarterback play, but not all of them at once....

And no i'm not saying its all the teams fault and Cam is perfect or any other type of hyperbole.

If your receivers are blanketed by defenders getting the ball out is just gonna result in alot of interceptions. You can't have slow receivers and a weak oline and no running game. That's what we had last season until they made changes. One these problems can be masked by good quarterback play, but not all of them at once....

And no i'm not saying its all the teams fault and Cam is perfect or any other type of hyperbole.

Damn dude, you're killing it in this thread.

This thread is funny to me after seeing some of the hate of other QBs in this forum.

A guy like Ryan has no running game, O-line, no consistent individual running ability, and Julio Jones as his only consistent weapon. but you guys loove to sling all kinds of poo at him. Cam even has one of the best defenses in the NFL at his disposal, while Ryan has one of the worst. 

Yet make a topic pointing out Cam's obvious inconsistencies and those excuses are all of a sudden valid.  

Good stuff guys smitu.gif

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/2014-incomplete-pass-breakdown-passers

I am not really buying EVERY receiver being blanketed EVERY play excuse. 

How fast you are doesnt automatically translate to how much seperation you can get (especially talking about in just 3-4 seconds) or your route running ability. If that was the case players like Hill wouldnt be practice squad players. 

Most defenses play zone. Its more about calling the right routes, and the receivers running those routes and finding the open spot in the zone.

This is the NFL. Most WR and TEs are athletic and all run in the 4.4-4.6 range.  

Most of this comes down to play calling, route running, and QB's ability to make pre snap reads and go throw his progressions quick. 

I am not really buying EVERY receiver being blanketed EVERY play excuse.

How fast you are doesnt automatically translate to how much seperation you can get (especially talking about in just 3-4 seconds) or your route running ability. If that was the case players like Hill wouldnt be practice squad players.

Most defenses play zone. Its more about calling the right routes, and the receivers running those routes and finding the open spot in the zone.

This is the NFL. Most WR and TEs are athletic and all run in the 4.4-4.6 range.

Most of this comes down to play calling, route running, and QB's ability to make pre snap reads and go throw his progressions quick.

Well we all know playcalling wasn't great last year, but we didn't have any speed to threaten teams with. Case in point, the Packers game. Their dbs didn't bother sticking with their man. They just broke for the ball because they knew our guys weren't fast enough to get there first. They could afford to gamble because they knew they had enough speed to recover. That's pretty bad. Go look at the videos of that game. Look at Kam Chancellor's pick six. Cam was late on his read but Dickson just sat there. It made it an easy pick.

Way to stop the Panthers last year? Rush Cam on the edges, double KB, and let them implode. We had no real running game without Cam threatening teams with his legs. And our oline couldn't handle four or even three rushers with Olsen staying in to block. Top it off with Cam's erratic throws and no speed at receiver. 0-6 stretch.

This thread is funny to me after seeing some of the hate of other QBs in this forum.

A guy like Ryan has no running game, O-line, no consistent individual running ability, and Julio Jones as his only consistent weapon. but you guys loove to sling all kinds of poo at him. Cam even has one of the best defenses in the NFL at his disposal, while Ryan has one of the worst. 

Yet make a topic pointing out Cam's obvious inconsistencies and those excuses are all of a sudden valid.  

Good stuff guys smitu.gif

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/2014-incomplete-pass-breakdown-passers

And that's why Ryan regress the last 2 years.. No 1,000 yard rb or Goat at TE to carry his ass...

Archived