• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Summer Blockbusters - lacking the impactful soundtrack/music

dos poptarts

Maybe it's just me, but lately films have been sorely lacking in the soundtrack and music choices. Nothing is sticking with me as I leave the theater.

Last year Guardians of the Galaxy absolutely nailed it with their choice of songs. "Come and get your love" w/ the Star Lord dance number was spot on in the opening scene. But other then GoTG, and the annoying Lego theme "Everything is Awesome", I can't recall any soundtrack or music from the last few years that is so ingrained into the film that the song/theme is just as important as any other facet.  Horror films continue to disappoint.

Marvel Universe - Except for AC/DC in Iron Man & GoTG, I've got nothing. Absolutely nothing comes to mind.

DC - Batman (Elfman's + Prince were awesome.) (Zimmer's TDK is very good. ) Zimmer's Man Of Steel, bleh. The John Williams' Superman theme still rules.

So are there scenes or films I should give another chance?

A couple of my all time favorites:

The Thing Main Theme - creepy as fug (btw, Childs was infected)

https://youtu.be/EnFc7D0ZoCc

Reservoir Dogs - Stuck in the Middle

https://youtu.be/EnFc7D0ZoCc

I too have noticed that musical scoring of movies seems to have completely dropped off the map. GotG had a great soundtrack, but it was basically "The Best of Motown." I can't recall the last time I was impressed by original music on a movie soundtrack (Maybe Blackhawk Down). Which is crazy; it's such an easy way to add emotional depth to a scene.

Pitch Perfect 2 comes out this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly....I rarely notice the soundtracks to movies. Sometimes....but not very often at all. 

Not just the soundtrack, but themes.

The classic -daadah...daadah theme from Jaws.

Zimmer's soundtrack during the Gladiator movie fight scenes.

Braveheart's Freedom and thistle themes.

Indiana Jones

Terminator opening theme

If I played any of these for you, you'd know the film(s). Hell, even the Rocky series had their classic montages.

As Catroop wrote, it can emotional depth to a film. John Williams is the master. Zimmer, Horner, Goldsmith have done very good work also.

Are you kidding? Zimmer's MOS soundtrack was universally praised.

Most soundtracks these days are below average. Mainly because 90% of what Hollywood releases is generic filler crap. Me, personally, I find myself going back to lesser known soundtracks from 5-10 years ago to enjoy anything. Every now and then, a good soundtrack is created but that's quickly becoming a rarity. Here's a few I've listened to recently:

Mulan's Decision (Mulan)

Surface of the Sun (Sunshine)

Death is the Road to Awe (The Fountain)

The Game has Changed (Tron: Legacy)

Red Circle (John Wick)

Emergence (The Hunted)

Molasses (Batman Begins)

I might go back and watch MOS again. I like Zimmer's work (yes even the Bruckheimer stuff), but MOS felt empty to me.

Nice list, will give some of these a listen.

Not just the soundtrack, but themes.

The classic -daadah...daadah theme from Jaws.

Zimmer's soundtrack during the Gladiator movie fight scenes.

Braveheart's Freedom and thistle themes.

Indiana Jones

Terminator opening theme

If I played any of these for you, you'd know the film(s). Hell, even the Rocky series had their classic montages.

As Catroop wrote, it can emotional depth to a film. John Williams is the master. Zimmer, Horner, Goldsmith have done very good work also.

Ahhh...I get it now.

Interesting observation. 

He has his hits and misses but Zimmer is far from generic. In my opinion, he's not the same composer who did The Lion King but he still manages to produce high quality and/or catchy themes.

Hans is guilty of recycling his stuff though (ex. Gladiator/Pirates of the Caribbean).

heh. They've just collected a paycheck at one time or another. Williams mailed it in on Harry Potter. I honestly thought SW was playing when my sister was watching one of he Harry Potter films. The broomstick/Polo game scene. 

Archived