• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

why you probably won't see Shaun Smith in Panther uni...

rayzor

at least not any time soon.

Former Cleveland Browns veteran defensive tackle Shaun Smith has had a rough week.

It started when the Detroit Lions released him on Saturday night and ended with him being suspended four games for violating the league's anabolic steroid policy, according to a league source.

Since Smith was released, roughly six teams have contacted him about the possibility of signing him. But Smith had to inform each of those teams he will be serving his suspension during the season's first four weeks and he will be available in Week 5, if anyone is interested. Smith also told teams he took a water pill, an over-the-counter, non-performance-enhancing substance.

Water pills are banned under the league's anabolic steroid policy as they are commonly employed to mask steroid use.

Over the past two seasons, Smith started 20 games for the Browns. Shortly after Cleveland released him this summer, Smith signed a one-year, $1.1 million deal with the Lions. It is unclear whether Smith's pending suspension entered into Detroit's decision to release him.

Adam Schefter is an NFL Insider for ESPN.

link

says that 6 teams have contacted him. pretty reasonable to think that the panthers were among those.

don't think that anyone is going to be chasing after him much for the first part of the season. lot's of knocks against this guy anyways and then adding suspension for breaking the leagues steroid policy (really dumb move) for a few weeks just makes him that much more unattractive (read: cheaper).

Depending on how well the DTs on the roster do (or don't do) the next three weeks we could find ourselves with a big DT coming out of the bye against the redskins.

it's a long shot and considering all the crap that comes along with him, i could understand them not wanting to bother. just as much, though, i could understand them being desperate enough to in that they do reach out for a year contract with an option for more if he keeps his junk together.

Anybody would be crazy to sign him before the season because it would fully guarantee his salary for the year. If you sign him after the first game and he mouths off or goes nuts - you can cut him immediately and only pay for the games he played. Given his history of temperamental behavior, this would be the safest way to go.

I hope we find that by the bye we don't need him. I could be wrong but i have high hopes that Louis Leonard will be an adequate run stuffer and that the other guys will be decent in pass pressure.
yours, mine, and the panthers i'm guessing.

if we can do well enough without that headcase on the team i'd be happy.

i agree that signing him before the first game is going to be a boneheaded move for anyone considering the risk. after this week i expect there will be some very seriously interested parties talking to him more.

week 1 injuries usually will have that effect.

Archived