• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Keeping the Carolina in Carolina Panthers (article by Eric Spanberg)

SCP

2 minutes ago, CatScratchFever said:

I would think that members of the existing ownership group would step up if anything ever happened to Jerry.  So much money in this City.

Here is how the ownership breaks down:

Carolina PSLFC, LLC (53%)

JMB Football, LLC (owned by the Estate of John M. Belk, Claudia Belk, Mary Claudia Belk Pilon and the John M. Belk Trust f/b/o the Children of Mary Claudia Belk Pilon) owns 5.1945%;

The Big TomKat, LLC (owned by Katherine McKay Belk, Katherine Belk Morris, Thomas M. Belk, Jr., H.W. McKay Belk, and John Robert Belk) owns 4.5720%;

H.C. Bissell owns 4.8833%;

Erskine Bowles owns 1.8353%;

DSC Football, LLC (owned by Derick S. Close and the DSC 2007 GRAT) owns 9.7666%;

Close Football, LLC (owned by Elliott S. Close, Frances A. Close, Crandall C. Bowles, Katherine A. Close) owns 9.7666%;

Cameron M. Harris owns 2.4416%;

John W. Harris owns 1.9533%;

Donald R. Keough owns 7.8133%;

Levine Football, LLC (owned by Leon Levine, Sandra Levine and Amy Beth Levine) owns 19.5331%;

Jerry L. Wordsworth owns 16.1202%;

Steve A. Wordsworth owns 16.1202%.

Panthers GP, LLC (46%)

PFF, Inc.** owns 10%;

Jerome J. Richardson owns 63.6672%;

Rosalind S. Richardson, Mark S. Richardson, Jerome J. Richardson, Jr., and Ashley R. Allen each own 6.5832%

**PFF, Inc.-- Jerome J. Richardson owns 70.7412% and Rosalind S. Richardson, Mark S. Richardson, Jerome J. Richardson, Jr., and Ashley R. Allen each own 7.3147%.

Yeah was thinking it would go to a minority shareholder of the current group. 

1 hour ago, CatScratchFever said:

I would think that members of the existing ownership group would step up if anything ever happened to Jerry.  So much money in this City.

Here is how the ownership breaks down:

Carolina PSLFC, LLC (53%)

JMB Football, LLC (owned by the Estate of John M. Belk, Claudia Belk, Mary Claudia Belk Pilon and the John M. Belk Trust f/b/o the Children of Mary Claudia Belk Pilon) owns 5.1945%;

The Big TomKat, LLC (owned by Katherine McKay Belk, Katherine Belk Morris, Thomas M. Belk, Jr., H.W. McKay Belk, and John Robert Belk) owns 4.5720%;

H.C. Bissell owns 4.8833%;

Erskine Bowles owns 1.8353%;

DSC Football, LLC (owned by Derick S. Close and the DSC 2007 GRAT) owns 9.7666%;

Close Football, LLC (owned by Elliott S. Close, Frances A. Close, Crandall C. Bowles, Katherine A. Close) owns 9.7666%;

Cameron M. Harris owns 2.4416%;

John W. Harris owns 1.9533%;

Donald R. Keough owns 7.8133%;

Levine Football, LLC (owned by Leon Levine, Sandra Levine and Amy Beth Levine) owns 19.5331%;

Jerry L. Wordsworth owns 16.1202%;

Steve A. Wordsworth owns 16.1202%.

Panthers GP, LLC (46%)

PFF, Inc.** owns 10%;

Jerome J. Richardson owns 63.6672%;

Rosalind S. Richardson, Mark S. Richardson, Jerome J. Richardson, Jr., and Ashley R. Allen each own 6.5832%

**PFF, Inc.-- Jerome J. Richardson owns 70.7412% and Rosalind S. Richardson, Mark S. Richardson, Jerome J. Richardson, Jr., and Ashley R. Allen each own 7.3147%.

Thanks!

So many people forget, the teams not owned outright100% (far from it) by Jerry!!

Though of course he does have majority and controlling interest.

The team won't go anywhere.  The growth of Charlotte alone is hard to deny.

As much as a free market guy that i am and know and love investing.  I'm not the biggest fan of public money when so many other pressing needs are goinf on.

If the proportion of funds to wants vs needs of a city and state are in line i can get behind that. The economic impact though is a bit more overrated then reality but that can be parsed a million times over if you want.

The relationship between the team and the region has just now gotten to tjr next level and i only see it getting stronger.

43 minutes ago, thebigcat said:

Michael_Jordan_in_2014.jpg

Aren't there crossover ownership rules in the NFL that would prevent Jordan from owning (or at least being primary owner) of an NBA and an NFL team?

This is the best source i can find:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/10/08/nfl-adapts-to-crossover-ownership/

" The league prohibits its owners from having Major League Baseball, NBA or NHL teams in another market where a National Football League club is located, because the NFL wants direct competition between its owners limited to the field. It doesn’t want owners, who are considered business partners, in a position where they are going head-to-head for revenue from tickets, sponsorship, and merchandise, which they share."

I'm concerned what happens when JR passes away. Charlotte is a great market, but after watching what just happened to St. Louis...could that happen here if some total chuckle head billionaire buys the team and just wants to make a splash in another market? I think it could. I think it's a long shot...but it could happen.

4 minutes ago, LawCat said:

Aren't there crossover ownership rules in the NFL that would prevent Jordan from owning (or at least being primary owner) of an NBA and an NFL team?

" The league prohibits its owners from having Major League Baseball, NBA or NHL teams in another market where a National Football League club is located, because the NFL wants direct competition between its owners limited to the field. It doesn’t want owners, who are considered business partners, in a position where they are going head-to-head for revenue from tickets, sponsorship, and merchandise, which they share."

I'm concerned what happens when JR passes away. Charlotte is a great market, but after watching what just happened to St. Louis...could that happen here if some total chuckle head billionaire buys the team and just wants to make a splash in another market? I think it could. I think it's a long shot...but it could happen.

Think key word is other markets. Saints owner own the Pelicans. New Bills owner owns the buffalo sabres. 

36 minutes ago, LawCat said:

It didn't stop Stan from purchasing the Rams in 2010, so it won't stop Jordan. The NFL rules, as have been proven recently,  aren't worth a roll of toilet paper. 

43 minutes ago, LawCat said:

Come on.

Didn't you know the hated Seahawks (who the Panthers just beat BTW) are owned by Microsoft Co-founder, and Portland Trailblazers owner Paul Allen.

Of course, they're not in the same city or region (not that may matter).

Based on the attitude of the NC legislature, it sounds like "Charlotte Panthers" might be the more accurate name.  State government still has this "Great State of Mecklenburg" disdain for anything from Charlotte.

But, being that this is the Carolina Panthers, and there are in fact two Carolinas, might SC offer incentives if a hypothetical stadium battle resulted in the prospect of a new NFL stadium in, say, York County?  I think it's unlikely they leave their current home, but the rest of NC seems unaware that a big chunk of Charlotte's metro area is in South Carolina.

I'll never understand why the state can tell Charlotte what they can or can't do with a tax on food/beverages sold in CHARLOTTE?

I realize some of that kicks back to the state, but the revenue is created in CLT so we should have say over how our cut of it is spent. 

Archived