• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ubuntu/Linux

donttreadonme

Who here uses Linux Mint or any other Ubuntu based OS? I think I'm going to make the switch. For whatever reason, after downloading Windows 10 on my laptop, the start menu will not work. I have tried every "fix" I could find on the net, but nothing works. I have since factory rest my pc and went back to Windows 8, which everyone knows is awful.

How is Ubuntu? Any major issues? Easy to install?

I used kubuntu for a while but it didn't play very nice with some hardware I had that I could never quite figure out. The only challenge is figuring out how to do certain things from the console, but the Google helps immensely.

Currently run Ubuntu on a dual boot system. If it wasn't for a couple of proprietary windows programs I might would just run it exclusively. Smooth performing for me, no major driver issues and seems to run just fine. Plenty to choose from using the software center. No complaints here.

I have multiple flavors of Unix OSes running.  At work, most of my time is on CentOS servers since my programs are Linux based due to the resources they need.  I have a triple boot (via hot swaps) at home on my main workstation that runs BioLinux 8 (an Ubuntu flavor) for smaller processing tasks, CentOS on another,  and Windows10 on the other for games and random browsing.  Git/Github will be your friend.  

Archived