• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

'I was the best wide receiver in the draft.' Garrett opines

top dawg

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

OK, not trying to sound like a Garrett apologist, but you can pull the draft profiles of some of the top wide receivers in this year's draft from the same site and paint a picture as to why any one of them shouldn't have been drafted. But for draft projections and NFL comparisons (which ultimately mean nothing), there is always a reason why someone may not be drafted.

Well, that's all I've got. If there are any hidden, hushed reasons for passing on him, they're staying hidden. Lots of WR's in this draft and all I can think is that his injury and slow start up time (due to his size if nothing else) put teams off. As for his short list of routes at Tulsa, if that's on him it shouldn't be. If Ricky likes him, so do I until I see a reason to not like. 

I don't believe the hype.

You're talking with the same people waiting to see Stephen Hill make the active roster, Kevin Norwood to take off his invisible man suit, and Damiere Byrd to add another 5 lbs of muscle to his upper body.

The tape I've seen on this guy is limited, but the only thing, at this point, that makes him any different than the second coming of an almost Dwayne Jarrett is his positive attitude.

Don't get me wrong, I WANT this dude to ball out and break every WR rookie record for the Panther's sake... But I'm not getting on this hype train because, lately, it is a runaway train...

Calm down folks. We just got through the rookie camp. Let's see if he disappears any once the pads go on.

29 minutes ago, caatfan said:

Well, that's all I've got. If there are any hidden, hushed reasons for passing on him, they're staying hidden. Lots of WR's in this draft and all I can think is that his injury and slow start up time (due to his size if nothing else) put teams off. As for his short list of routes at Tulsa, if that's on him it shouldn't be. If Ricky likes him, so do I until I see a reason to not like. 

are you going to reply to my comment?

24 minutes ago, Bronn said:

I don't believe the hype.

You're talking with the same people waiting to see Stephen Hill make the active roster, Kevin Norwood to take off his invisible man suit, and Damiere Byrd to add another 5 lbs of muscle to his upper body.

The tape I've seen on this guy is limited, but the only thing, at this point, that makes him any different than the second coming of an almost Dwayne Jarrett is his positive attitude.

Don't get me wrong, I WANT this dude to ball out and break every WR rookie record for the Panther's sake... But I'm not getting on this hype train because, lately, it is a runaway train...

Calm down folks. We just got through the rookie camp. Let's see if he disappears any once the pads go on.

Comparisons to Jarrett are not really on point, and that's even before you get to attitide (which is obviously a major difference).

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Comparisons to Jarrett are not really on point, and that's even before you get to attitide (which is obviously a major difference).

I think they are on point, actually... They are pretty much the exact same physically...

6'4" - 219 lbs
4.62 40 yd dash
Vertical - 36.5
Broad Jump - 10'1"
20 yd Shuttle - 4.2
3 cone drill - 7.28
20 yd dash - 2.64
10 yd dash - 1.58

vs.

6'3" - 220 lbs
4.4 40 yd dash
Vertical - 36.5
Broad Jump - 10' 8"
20 yd Shuttle - 4.33
3 cone drill - 7.3
20 yd dash - 2.7
10 yd dash - 1.62

Who is who?
Those measurables aren't that different at all. If you factor in level of competition, system, and success, then Jarrett might actually have a slight edge. Counter that with Garrett's positive attitude and maybe it is a wash.

So to me, at least at this point, it is a matter of if we have time to develop him into something better than Jarrett was. I think we have that time, but I am still not going to climb aboard this runaway "steal of the undrafted, best WR in college football" hype train...

Let's see how he shows out during that July heat in Spartanburg and during the preseason before we crown him as a lock to make the 53 man roster.

1 hour ago, Moose Hoover said:

are you going to reply to my comment?

If you mean the question you asked, then no I didn't see the 'what' you referred to, and therefore no reply. I don't usually go back and reread stuff. I mostly just move on to new stuff.

I hope Garrett pans out but I think his best WR in the draft comment was overly cocky and unwise. 

6 minutes ago, caatfan said:

If you mean the question you asked, then no I didn't see the 'what' you referred to, and therefore no reply. I don't usually go back and reread stuff. I mostly just move on to new stuff.

I hope Garrett pans out but I think his best WR in the draft comment was overly cocky and unwise. 

I was just trying to make you say underwear, just messing with you homeboi

Just now, Bronn said:

I think they are on point, actually... They are pretty much the exact same physically...

6'4" - 219 lbs
4.62 40 yd dash
Vertical - 36.5
Broad Jump - 10'1"
20 yd Shuttle - 4.2
3 cone drill - 7.28
20 yd dash - 2.64
10 yd dash - 1.58

vs.

6'3" - 220 lbs
4.4 40 yd dash
Vertical - 36.5
Broad Jump - 10' 8"
20 yd Shuttle - 4.33
3 cone drill - 7.3
20 yd dash - 2.7
10 yd dash - 1.62

Who is who?
Those measurables aren't that different at all. If you factor in level of competition, system, and success, then Jarrett might actually have a slight edge. Counter that with Garrett's positive attitude and maybe it is a wash.

So to me, at least at this point, it is a matter of if we have time to develop him into something better than Jarrett was. I think we have that time, but I am still not going to climb aboard this runaway "steal of the undrafted, best WR in college football" hype train...

Let's see how he shows out during that July heat in Spartanburg and during the preseason before we crown him as a lock to make the 53 man roster.

I am not going to split hairs too much, but I am not talking phyical measurables or Combine stats. Jarrett was thought to be a first round talent, who was known for route running, had superlative hands, and the ability to use his body to win contested catches. The main thing is that he was known for being a beast of a pass catcher.  Garrett hasn't been heralded at all really. His claim to fame so far is leading the nation in receiving yards last season, and that's about it.  Obviously that wasn't enough of a reason to draft him at all, much less the second round.  So this "hype" is really sort of a red herring that is perhaps reason for his "claim to fame" that is really not really that complimentary when you think about it.  Moreover, I don't think that anyone takes this "best wide receiver in the draft" seriously, as Garrett is the only one who is saying it.  I mean, I guess you could say that he is hyping himself up, but that's not really anything new. So he hype train is more of a subway train that hasn't even left the station. 

But, his attitude is something that can't be discounted especially  when juxtaposed against his college production and what he has had to overcome.  You could never say that for Jarrett. 

5 minutes ago, Hammerin'Cameron34 said:

I am high on Garrett but I watched some of his highlights

Not much YAC .. idk pretty pedestrian on tape, but college tape means not much

Well, he should fit right in with all they guys we currently have...

I would like to leave this though (from PFF)

• Can make people miss once the ball is in his hands; forced 21 missed tackles on 96 receptions. Again, this was a massive improvement from 2014, where he forced just two from 47 receptions.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/03/31/draft-pff-scouting-report-keyarris-garrett-wr-tulsa/

55 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Well, he should fit right in with all they guys we currently have...

I would like to leave this though (from PFF)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/03/31/draft-pff-scouting-report-keyarris-garrett-wr-tulsa/

"As good as his hands were in 2015, they were bad in 2014"

Good thing 'good' was last year and 'bad' was 2 yrs. ago. If it's a trend then '16 should be better and '17 great.

Archived