• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2016 Free Agency Discussions

HeatCheck

3 minutes ago, HeatCheck said:

Wouldn't like the idea of signing I'm of anything over the $12.25 million we can offer with the Early Bird. By doing so, we hold on to his $9 million cap hold and have some money to spend. Once we go over that $12.25 we are dipping into cap space and aren't using his EBR.

Would dislike this signing a lot but it is the Hornets so let us see them mess up free agency after hitting a homerun. We need a starting center? No biggie let us sign our 3rd PF and ponder over starting Zeller at center.

Marvin at 2 years for 24ish I could live with, Marvin at 2 years 36 and I might vomit. Unless we can opt out after one year and even then still might vomit.

If we sign him regardless of cost we basically have to dump Hawes cap space entirely and hope we can get someone like Mahimi cheap to start at center.

4 minutes ago, HeatCheck said:

There's goes his $20 million cap hold. Not like we wouldn't have renounced it anyways. Mahinmi is no expendable with Turner and Jefferson there.

Mahinmi is older but it is what it is. The team is ignoring the center position to keep a 3rd PF. Must be ready to play small ball.

1 minute ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

Zeller and Frank can both play Center in todays game..

Disagree because I have watched both get manhandled in the paint but hey guess the Hornets want to find out the hard way. Both of those guys struggle defensively in the paint as well which was our number one weakness. The team has yet to address this weakness.

1 minute ago, HeatCheck said:

When you say yet to address, you mean 12 hours into free agency? Give it time, I think they saw that was an issue of ours. 

My thing is signing Williams cuts salary by a lot if it is between 12-17 a year. That means they will not be getting a good defensive player in the post. At least a guy who could mold into more than a defensive post player. They will settle with a mixed bag at center. I am a die hard Tar Heel fan and I am not a fan of Marvin Williams' game.

7 minutes ago, OldNorthPowell said:

Disagree because I have watched both get manhandled in the paint but hey guess the Hornets want to find out the hard way. Both of those guys struggle defensively in the paint as well which was our number one weakness. The team has yet to address this weakness.

i said they can play center, not that they can play center well

yes, we need a better center - someone who can rebound and be a shot blocking presence.. BIZ??

Just now, bLACKpANTHER said:

i said they can play center, not that they can play center well

yes, we need a better center - someone who can rebound and be a shot blocking presence.. BIZ??

Sorry I just got sick to my stomach and was wondering what you meant and jumped the gun lol. Bringing back Biz would be great but doubt he comes back to a team that dumped him like he was trash.

3 minutes ago, OldNorthPowell said:

My thing is signing Williams cuts salary by a lot if it is between 12-17 a year. That means they will not be getting a good defensive player in the post. At least a guy who could mold into more than a defensive post player. They will settle with a mixed bag at center. I am a die hard Tar Heel fan and I am not a fan of Marvin Williams' game.

He only cuts into at $9 million if we use the Early Bird rights.

Being serious, how would you have handled our free agent situation?

4 minutes ago, HeatCheck said:

He only cuts into at $9 million if we use the Early Bird rights.

Being serious, how would you have handled our free agent situation?

I would have let everyone walk except Batum, signed a back up PG like Chalmers or Bayless, signed a center who plays better defense and has potential to start, and traded Hawes. Then let pieces fall where they may and met with other players who may have interest in playing in Charlotte. I think Marvin Williams stunts the growth of Zeller and Kaminsky at PF. Plus he didn't do much until he was in his contract year with us. Of course my moves could be bad moves but it is just my opinion. In the end we shall see with the Hornets.

Archived