• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Clock Management and its effects

Moorgan

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

Actually, I think not taking a time out is bad time management, whether it is in the fourth quarter with a minute to go, or in the first quarter three minutes in. A time out better be followed up by a score or an emergency first down, otherwise it is wasted, no matter which quarter it comes in.

If it's called because the QB has to keep calling the play to get everyone lined up properly, that's a waste. Or, and this does happen with us, if the QB was showboating a bit too much after a running play that didn't stop the clock, then it's bad time management.

Did you forget that without time outs available coach can't challenge any plays? So not taking TO's, to me, can be a good thing. Honestly, I don't recall TO's called because of Cam's 1st down celebration but there were a few where Kalil wasn't hiking the ball fast enough when Cam was ready.

18 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

If it's called because the QB has to keep calling the play to get everyone lined up properly, that's a waste. Or, and this does happen with us, if the QB was showboating a bit too much after a running play that didn't stop the clock, then it's bad time management.

if you're gonna come in with accusations like that I'm gonna need specific examples. 

5 hours ago, stbugs said:

That was not clock management, that was let's call such conservative plays that instead of giving the opponent 2 4th quarter drives down 21+ points, let's give them 4 or 5 to make sure they score at least twice. Clock management is Teddy Bridgewater getting sacked when they didn't have enough time and then not getting a FG chance. We didn't have any of those snafus. The losses we had were from our offense not scoring when we had plenty of time.

I really hope we do learn from that. While our D did fall apart as well, we sure didn't help them stay off the field and recover a bit with multiple 3 and outs when up big.

Conservative play call is bad clock management.

Wasn't it the NFC Championship game where the ref held the ball until 5 seconds left on the play clock before he put it down on the ground.  Forced us to take a time out. I think that may have happened more than once last season.  I'm not sure if it was because we did a late substitution and they had to wait for the opponent to substitute or what.

Archived