• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offseason: Draft, FA, and What Gettleman Should Do

Saca312

For fun, not serious, but for fun, I guess we could do like the Chicago White Sox and trade away a couple of their best players for about 10 guys who will help their team.

So, what would Cleveland give us for Cam?

First over all pick this year - DE Garrett

Ogbah, their second rounder from last season

Next years first.

So, what could we get for Luke?

Would Pittsburgh trade anything to get a great MLB?  Or only teams that run a 43 D?

I know, just messing around on a Saturday

8 hours ago, Nails said:

In that scenario you would also ask for their young safety they have who has shown great promise but also had some relative on field issues (like KB), but who by all indications is a good guy and hard worker, reunite him with his college teammate Bradberry, and fill a need in a relatively cheap way (likely the way GMan would want to spend on safety) with experience.

Relatively old or not, Staley represents one of the only sure fire short/medium term options to protect our franchise which was beat all to hell this year.  That's worth paying for, and while the 49ers would be wise to take ALL the help they can get, they aren't giving him away for free, nor should they.

We also aren't giving away KB for free, but you have to give something to get something.  The 49ers might demand a player, who knows.  The Panthers had the #1 offense without KB and most only days ago were calling him a bum.  I don't agree but if I HAD to trade him to protect Cam I would at this point.

I'm going to forget that you even mentioned KB in a trade scenario. He has to much value. I understand your point but you are really thinking TOO outside the box. 

Like I said, any smart GMs could pull a trade for Staley with our two 3rd round picks: a high and another low pick. Pretty much the value of a 2nd. It just depend if that GM has some big enough balls to call Baalke. SF is rebuilding at this time and just gave contracts to three mediocre young players. 

We need a SS badly. I didn't believe in Tre Boston when seems like everybody else did in the offseason. Tre is a good depth guy who come in and make some plays here and there but he's not staring quality. Kurt needs to go back at FS. It's a pretty good class of FA safeties coming. I would rather go there then send KB and picks for Staley and Tart. Believe it or not, just my opinion, a safety might be our #1 pick (top 10 or not). I'm not talking Peppers. I'm talking Jamal Adams. 

3 hours ago, stirs said:

For fun, not serious, but for fun, I guess we could do like the Chicago White Sox and trade away a couple of their best players for about 10 guys who will help their team.

So, what would Cleveland give us for Cam?

First over all pick this year - DE Garrett

Ogbah, their second rounder from last season

Next years first.

So, what could we get for Luke?

Would Pittsburgh trade anything to get a great MLB?  Or only teams that run a 43 D?

I know, just messing around on a Saturday

You gotta sober up at some point brother. 

1 minute ago, FootballLivesMatter said:

I'm going to forget that you even mentioned KB in a trade scenario. He has to much value. I understand your point but you are really thinking TOO outside the box. 

Like I said, any smart GMs could pull a trade for Staley with our two 3rd round picks: a high and another low pick. Pretty much the value of a 2nd. It just depend if that GM has some big enough balls to call Baalke. SF is rebuilding at this time and just gave contracts to three mediocre young players. 

We need a SS badly. I didn't believe in Tre Boston when seems like everybody else did in the offseason. Tre is a good depth guy who come in and make some plays here and there but he's not staring quality. Kurt needs to go back at FS. It's a pretty good class of FA safeties coming. I would rather go there then send KB and picks for Staley and Tart. Believe it or not, just my opinion, a safety might be our #1 pick (top 10 or not). I'm not talking Peppers. I'm talking Jamal Adams. 

I think we overvalue our own players too much.  And even I personally think two 3rds is too much.  A 3rd and a day 3 pick OR our 2nd with them giving back a day 3 pick is fair value IMO.  Obviously we're desperate, but so are they to have any hope in the medium/long term as they have zero hope short term.  All of my scenarios were placing the 3rd/day 3 or 2nd/they give day 3 value on Staley.  I hope for Cam and the franchise's sake something can be worked out.  No sane reason it can't from either side.

8 minutes ago, Nails said:

I think we overvalue our own players too much.  And even I personally think two 3rds is too much.  A 3rd and a day 3 pick OR our 2nd with them giving back a day 3 pick is fair value IMO.  Obviously we're desperate, but so are they to have any hope in the medium/long term as they have zero hope short term.  All of my scenarios were placing the 3rd/day 3 or 2nd/they give day 3 value on Staley.  I hope for Cam and the franchise's sake something can be worked out.  No sane reason it can't from either side.

So not giving up two 3rds for Staley is too much? 

But you rather give SF a high 2nd + a 3rd for Staley and a 4-6th round pick? SMH

only guy we overvalued and it's not by us fans, but the coaches is Remmers.

1 minute ago, FootballLivesMatter said:

So not giving up two 3rds for Staley is too much? 

But you rather give SF a high 2nd + a 3rd for Staley and a 4-6th round pick? SMH

Read again.  If they play hardball and insist on additional picks then our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd plus 1st next year for Staley (or Thomas) PLUS Garrett is fair draft trade value and would make sense for both sides.  That would not be my preferred deal but all options have to be on the table to protect Cam.  I never said our 2nd AND 3rd for Staley or Thomas alone.  I think their value is somewhere between 50-75 overall on this year's trade value chart.  Their reliability and positional value make it worth it but their age, salaries, and hopelessness of those teams give us leverage in our own right.

3 minutes ago, Nails said:

Read again.  If they play hardball and insist on additional picks then our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd plus 1st next year for Staley (or Thomas) PLUS Garrett is fair draft trade value and would make sense for both sides.  That would not be my preferred deal but all options have to be on the table to protect Cam.  I never said our 2nd AND 3rd for Staley or Thomas alone.  I think their value is somewhere between 50-75 overall on this year's trade value chart.  Their reliability and positional value make it worth it but their age, salaries, and hopelessness of those teams give us leverage in our own right.

You're so overboard man. KB isn't even a Chip Kelly receiver. They rather have Ted Ginn and he's a FA.

9 minutes ago, FootballLivesMatter said:

You're so overboard man. KB isn't even a Chip Kelly receiver. They rather have Ted Ginn and he's a FA.

KB is an asset to any team (despite people calling for his head here), especially a team so devoid of talent and of a skill set like KB as the 49ers.  Who knows if Kelly is even there in 2017.  Trades are give and take, my point is that there are multiple ways to skin a cat and not having reliable blindside protection for Cam next year is not only irresponsible, but inexcusable.  Find a way.  I've listed several.  There are others.

3 minutes ago, stirs said:

Staley a bit too old to be investing draft picks in, no?

Definitely too old for our 1st, unless it includes a deal for Garrett as described above.  But no, he's absolutely not too old to count on through the end of his reasonable deal ($11+ mil in 2017, $7+ mil in 2018, and $7+ mil in 2019).  Giving up a day 2 pick would suck but it's by FAR the best of multiple BAD and VERY BAD options available at LT for the next 1-3 years.

Archived