• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offseason: Draft, FA, and What Gettleman Should Do

Saca312

So, there's no hope this season. It's blatantly obvious after Sunday night's fiasco. There's no way we're making the playoffs, and quite frankly it looks like we may be lucky just winning a game coming down the road.

This year was different from last year in so many ways. Just imagine if only we capped off last year with a Superbowl; this year wouldn't have stung as much.

But that's the reality of the situation. We got teams that are incomplete offensively or defensively coasting out on easy schedules (Dallas comes to mind) that will make the playoffs, as many claimed of us last year. I personally think when healthy we have the most complete team in the NFC with a decent healthy o-line and talent everywhere, but injuries and inept offensive coordinator Shula hindered us.

So anyways, I'm always cheering for my team, even if it'd be better to lose out. If we win, great; that basically shows we have had some gas in us, and injuries have killed us a plenty this season. But don't be surprised if we only win one more game (I suspect a last year type of event of a demolishing of the Failcons, ruining their first seed to the Bucs), and looking at a top 10 pick this year. 

Considering that, it's basically time to talk offseason in December (painful to say, but it's true.) Before talking about that, let's consider what exactly our positions of greatest need are:

-Safety

-Offensive Tackle (Especially if Oher isn't back)

-Running Back Depth (preferably someone who can block behind Stewart)

-Consistent Defensive End

-A WR that can get separation

-A solid blocking 2nd TE

Personally, I feel these positions are our greatest positions of need. In fact, some of these are stretches, considering we'd have a decent group in most of these categories with starters, though granted top 2 shows some obvious holes.

Safety is the one that has given up a lot of yards for the secondary more than our corners by far. We need a consistent leader that can play SS, since Kurt isn't good enough for it. We need a playmaker, a leader, and someone who can communicate; a Roman Harper type of player without his sluggish play.

Our offensive tackle depth got exposed this season, and one could say we need at least 1 backup quality tackle for every position. I feel we need a quality depth type of player for LT, since Remmers is about as much of a turnstile as one can be at left tackle. If Oher isn't back, this position is exposed even more, and we may need to consider using draft picks and getting free agents to find a rough in the gem type of player.

Stewart is a great guy, but he's injury prone. He's also lost a bit of steam in him this year, though granted our oline isn't helping any bit. He's our only solid blocking RB, and we desperately need depth behind him. As much flashes as CAP has shown running, he's shown nothing in the blocking game. We should consider looking for our RB of the future now, and that's why it's ranked so high as a position of need.

Everything really is just depth at most, and a WR solid route runner is also a pretty big stretch. But these are our glaring needs, and they should be addressed accordingly.

Gettleman is well known as someone who likes skimming FA for the bargain gems, which he excels at. However, he hasn't proven himself as to someone who dives for some big, good names. Most of his time, however, he had the CAP that Hurney left over to worry about and fix up, so that proved to be an issue.

But this season, he's got an abundance, projected about $62,843,461 in cap space. 

That's a lot of money, something Gettleman hasn't had in a while. Now granted, we have a lot of free agents next year, but we would still have a lot left over.

This offseason, IMO, will define Gettleman as either a cheap, polar opposite of Hurney, or a real, intelligent GM. He's got a lot of cap space that could be worked and help sign some key free agents now, and keep enough to sign 2018 players. If he doesn't take advantage, then I say I may even start questioning what he's doing exactly, and I'm sure @CPantherKing would definitely say I'm a Gettleman supporter/nuthugger. 

That says a lot about what this offseason really means.

Now, if I were GM of the Panthers, here's what I'd do, Free Agency and the Draft:

(Sites Used: https://walterfootball.com/draft2017TE.php , http://overthecap.com/free-agency/http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/2017/)

Staff:

1. Fire Shula

2. Fire Shula

3. Fire Shula

4. Fire Shula

5. Fire Shula

'Nuff said. 

Free Agency:

Panther Resigning/Cuts

1. Cut Tolbert

Tolbert has been deadweight this season. He should never have gotten an extension, and retired in peace. However, that's obviously not the case, and he's costing us. Tolbert used to be amazing. He used to be this unstoppable bowling ball, the tolldozer, and leave defenders withering under his impressive strength and hard running. 

Now, he's just a tub of lard and useless fat.

He's not his old self, and that has been the way for a while. He really fell off a cliff in the Superbowl, fumbling that ball at a crucial moment. I can't think of any positive play from Tolbert this year in all honesty, and that's saying a lot. He's done; he's got no more gas in the tank. Recently, his most memorable moments have been botched blocks, the scared-to-get-hit "dance" Tolbert put on in Oakland, and the "Oh crap I'm so fat" butterfinger fumble to start off in Seattle.

Cut him, get that $1.5 million in cap savings, and use it for useful things.

2. Resign DT Kawann Short for $12 million tops; Avoid Cox Money Or Overpaying

Short bet on himself this year, and failed to replicate his 2015 breakout performance. He's come on decently as of late after the bye, but other than that he's just not his monstrous self this year. He's still good, and has a lot of potential to replicate his 2015 success next year, but he already shows to not be on Cox level elite. He's good, but he's just not going to get that monstrous contract he wants. I'd attempt to give him a generous $12 million deal, or maybe $13 tops, but try not to tag him. He isn't worth the money he wanted last year, and it shows in his numbers, but he's still a DT we need to try and keep. Try and resign Short due to his integral role, but avoid overpaying.

3. Resign DE Charles Johnson on a $6-7 million dollar per year deal, and Addison $5 million.

Try and get Charles Johnson market value for what he got last year the best you can. He's more than proven his worth at this point, and he's been instrumental with his sudden reemergence as of late. However, considering the lack of DEs on the market this year, he may be a tough case with teams desperate for looking for 

Charles Johnson has reemerged after the bye, when the coaching staff realized that the D-line needed a new rotational change. Addison has proven more than capable of emerging as a fantastic situational pass rushing threat. They both need to be resigned for good deals and kept through any means possible. They're a consistent good threat still, and any continuity in our pressure we're getting from our ends is needed.

4. Resign Norwell, Ginn, Work a deal with Lotulelei, get depth players signed for around $20 million tops (all these players combined).

This is self explanatory. Get the other key guys signed, get Star on a good deal, and make sure they're not going anywhere. This is achievable.

Theoretically, this will go for a price tag of $40.5 million in signing our players alone max, based on salary averages. This accounts for the cap Tolbert would bring if cut, and doesn't include any other depth player being released, or any other cuts. Soliai might be another option as well honestly to get the axe, but I won't add that just yet.

That leaves us with about $22.3 million in cap left for free agency. Sure is quite a lot lower after signing our own players, but that's still some cash we could work with.

Now, what to do about actual free agency?

Well, here we go:

1. Do WHATEVER IT TAKES to sign S Eric Berry - Up to $11.5 million honestly.

This right here is important. Harrison Smith was paid $10.25 mil per year last offseason, and that pretty much set the bar for this safety-depleted 2017 FA class. I don't care if you want to try and save every penny, give him whatever it takes to bait him into Carolina. If he hits the free agency market, I'd dare even pay him up to $11.5 per year just because of the impact he'd have on this safety-deprived team. He's been the key to KC's success, and there's no way they'd be able to get him back at this rate. Pay the man; get him connected to Cam again, and we're definitely Superbowl bound with this signing.

That's the only big splash I'd make honestly, and that immediately patches up a huuge position of need. Gettleman needs to see this, and I hope he does. 

That leaves us with about 10.8 million in cap, but likely we'd have around $14-15 million if we had extra cuts and management as well. I'd then see if I can get Matt Kalil for a good deal off of free agency, and hope Oher is back in full health by then. I'd then find some cheap diamond in the rough players to round out some positions.

Make sure we have enough cap for the draft, and just coast and ride.

Now, what about the draft you might ask?

Well, let's see our positions of need:

-Safety  Eric Berry Takes Care of This

-Offensive Tackle (Especially if Oher isn't back) Matt Kalil gives good depth, and project material

-A solid blocking 2nd TE

So, considering these needs/luxuries, let's see what I'd do in the draft for the first 2 rounds:

Round 1:

Top 5 pick: DE Myles Garrett

Pray and Hope DE Myles Garrett Falls To Us if we have this high a pick. Browns already got some decent DEs last year, and many mocks are predicting they get a DT. Jets and 49ers need a QB. The only real threat is the Jaguars, and possibly Bengals, but they could win out some of their games and we get lucky. 
Pipe dream, I know, but if this happens then the NFL better watch out.

Anyhow, here's a more logical idea of what could happen:

Top 10 Pick:

Round 1

*Option 1 represents one route (i.e. If x player is picked in round 1 for option 1, then round 2 option 1 would be a player that is picked because round 1 option 1 player was picked, and same for option 2)

Option 1: RB Leonard Fournette

Obvious reasons. He's the most consistent back so far in College, and he's been a monster. He's getting AP comparisons, and rightfully so. He's going to be a beast in the NFL, and a complete RB to complement an aging Stewart will help a lot, especially with Tolbert gone. He's shown ability to run over defenders, find holes, and take advantage. He's also a decent receiving back, and he's got a ton of skillset. If he can make the impact Elliott has had to our run game, well the NFL better watch out.

Option 2: DE Derek Barnett

The Panthers desperately need a good, consistent DE on the defensive side. Bennett would help alleviate a position in need of an every down type of player. Bennett has shown to be competent and do great things against top tier college olines, and is a great player from Tennessee. He's beat LTs from Bama and gotten strip sacks and makes plays. This would help alleviate our DEs and make us not have a reason to keep Delaire on the team anymore. He's a bit raw in some areas, needs to learn some pass rushing moves and spins, but he's still a good, competent player.

Round 2:

Option 1: TE Jordan Leggett

He's been a solid TE at Clemson. He's been great at blocking and receiving when necessary. He's likely to be available in the second round, and I wouldn't mind pulling the trigger on him this early. What makes him stand out from other TEs ranked above him like Engram and Njoku in my opinion is his solid blocking ability. We don't need a catching TE who can't block; I'd rather have a solid blocking TE that couldn't catch honestly. I think Leggett will make a great prospect, and 2nd round pick with a lot of upside, with immediate impact potential.

Option 2: RB D'Onta Foreman (applies also if we somehow get DE Myles Garrett)

Just be glad this draft is deep with RBs D'Onta Foreman is a talent that is worth consideration at this late in the round. He's a Stewart type of back, but fresher and much more upside. A powerback, he looks a lot like Stewart, and he's good at running over defenders. He can hit holes, and looks like a good talent. As a second round pick, I'd definitely consider snagging this gem.

As for the rest of the draft, I'd get a project OT, maybe a future C, and then fill up depth in S, and other positions. 

If this were to happen, I'd be happy. I think these picks would be great, and help better the Panthers. 

-

I like some of your ideas, but we're not getting Berry.  I seriously doubt he leaves KC.  If we can get Baby Kalil on a cheap contract and Gettleman doesn't think that's enough to take care of the situation like he did when he got Oher I'd be down for it.  I like your draft picks except I don't know the TE.  We're eventually gonna need a pass catching TE.  Blocking TEs are to be taken in the later rounds, like Nick Vannett in Seattle. I wanted him in this past draft.  4th round or so. 

I like it. Everything. Kalil, low risk cheap signing. If we could get Berry it would be great, I wish it would happen.

Keeping and cutting the right guys for us. I hope that our money saving ways were to prepare us for this offseason.

Draft wise I think Garrett goes before our pick. Realistically I think Barnett or Adams are the most likely choices for us in round 1. Fournette and Cook are less appealing to me because I really like Foreman, Gallman, Chubb and Perine if he declares. 

This draft should have a good TE option available in round 3.

Cam Robinson is the only NFL ready OT in the draft in my opinion. He has major red flag issues. Everyone else is a project and will require a redshirt. I'm tired of the Shaq and Vern project/Part timers. We need a stud in round 1.

Kelvin Benjamin. I like KB, but we need someone who can work underneath and get some YAC. I like Funchess better than KB going forward, partially due to durability/conditioning. I feel like having 2 big "slow" receivers has made the 2016 Panthers offense stall in a way that the 2015 Panthers did not. Jerricho/KB is the major difference for our O personnel wise. I would like Gettleman to see what is available for trade. Great player, but maybe not great for us.

4 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I like some of your ideas, but we're not getting Berry.  I seriously doubt he leaves KC.  If we can get Baby Kalil on a cheap contract and Gettleman doesn't think that's enough to take care of the situation like he did when he got Oher I'd be down for it.  I like your draft picks except I don't know the TE.  We're eventually gonna need a pass catching TE.  Blocking TEs are to be taken in the later rounds, like Nick Vannett in Seattle. I wanted him in this past draft.  4th round or so. 

He's up that high because he's a solid catching TE as well from Clemson. He's just a well rounded guy who is also a catcher, but can block. That's why I put him that high, but I agree with the fact a pure blocker is someone picked up late.

Why sign Cj back to 6-7 mil a year when he makes 3 mil? Firing Shula doesn't solve our major issues, which is defense, Ron or Sean need to get that in figured out first. Wr is a bigger issue that's emerging lately, both wr and OT positions need to be upgraded. No more there's no one out there or worth it bs, that's literally been the excuse since gross retired. Other then that I agree with majority of your statement, however I'd put CB need above safety.

Don't make the same mistakes we have made in the past twice, don't get contempt with one good CB, and don't wait til the year of, to replace probowl players.

Ps: get cam some help, it's long over due

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

8 hours ago, Saca312 said:

He's up that high because he's a solid catching TE as well from Clemson. He's just a well rounded guy who is also a catcher, but can block. That's why I put him that high, but I agree with the fact a pure blocker is someone picked up late.

Vannett is a good prospect and warrants a 2nd-3rd round I would take him,hecould have impact like Hunter Henry, espeically if we are going with a weak FA LT. 

I would only take Myles in the 1st round other wise there are mid round prospects that have better value. 

RB/TE  or  LT/RB

I like the only idea of the post.  I don't think we get Berry though unfortunately.  KC would be idiotic to let him go as his return has energized that defense.  I do like the idea of Matt Kalil playing on the line with his brother, but only for a prove-it-to-me type of deal maybe back load money into years 2-3.  

I want to sign STEPHON GILMORE at all cost.  South Carolina native with a market value of $10-13 mill a year and is only 26. 

Retain KK on a top 10 DT contract.  Retain CJ and Addison at team friendly deals.  Find some way to retain Star as well.

Cut the Hell out of Remmers, Tolbert, and Dickson. 

Draft Leonard Fournette if in top 5, draft Jamal Adams if in top 10. 

Sign the meanest smash mouth blocking FB out there and get back to ground and pound offense with play action.

10 hours ago, Saca312 said:

-Safety

-Offensive Tackle (Especially if Oher isn't back)

-A solid blocking 2nd TE

This is a pretty good list, sad we have so many holes. These are all real needs.  I'd probably bump DE to #1 or 2 on the list.

What about Fullback?  Tolbert has been very disappointing this season.  I think he's gone.

I hope we don't also need to add Center to the list.  Has anyone heard anything new about Ryan Kalil's shoulder surgery? I just saw a tweet about a week ago that said he was probably going to need surgery, but nothing new since.

Wonder if place kicker will also be on the list?  Gano is a pretty big cap hit and his performance has not been what we need this season.

1 hour ago, Catufb85 said:

I like the only idea of the post.  I don't think we get Berry though unfortunately.  KC would be idiotic to let him go as his return has energized that defense.  I do like the idea of Matt Kalil playing on the line with his brother, but only for a prove-it-to-me type of deal maybe back load money into years 2-3.  

I want to sign STEPHON GILMORE at all cost.  South Carolina native with a market value of $10-13 mill a year and is only 26. 

Retain KK on a top 10 DT contract.  Retain CJ and Addison at team friendly deals.  Find some way to retain Star as well.

Cut the Hell out of Remmers, Tolbert, and Dickson. 

Draft Leonard Fournette if in top 5, draft Jamal Adams if in top 10. 

Sign the meanest smash mouth blocking FB out there and get back to ground and pound offense with play action.

IF KC does resign him, it blows the theory that you have to have GMan level financial restraint, sacrificing others on the team, to do such things out of the water.  

I like it. Would be incredible to get Berry, but I doubt it happens. He is arguably the best safety in the league and single handily won that game against us. I would much rather grab a DE round 1 and a stud running back round 2. I mean the RB class is so freaking deep this year. Fournette, Cook, McCafe, Foreman, Chubb, Freeman, Gallman...I mean it's nuts. But please lord stay away from Hurd, the dude is a punk and a quitter. The only thing I disagree with is resigning CJ to a 6-7 million deal. It's not that I don't think he is worth that, it's just that CJ has a lot of miles on him for his age in the NFL and we saw last year what injuries can do to his production. So I'm a maybe on that type of deal..

Archived