• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stats and facts going into the Giants game:

goncrazi

• Carolina leads the league in rushing touchdowns (Giants tied for 7th) but is tied for 14th best in rushing TDs allowed (Giants tied for 9th.)
  • Carolina is tied for 23rd in passing TDs while NY is tied for 8th (but there is only a seven TD difference between the two.)
  • Carolina is 8th in scoring offense. NY is 4th.
  • Carolina is 6th in scoring defense. NY is 4th.
  • Out of the top 15 rushers in the NFL, only DeAngelo Williams and Ladanian Tomlinson have yet to fumble the ball.
  • Of the top 25 rushers, only Williams and Brandon Jacobs are averaging more than 5 YPC. Williams leads Jacobs by nearly half a yard per carry.
  • Steve Smith has moved into 3rd in the NFL in receiving yards with 1240, but leads the NFL in yards per game. He trails Roddy White (league leader) by 168 yards with 33 fewer catches.
  • Carolina's second best receiver, Moose, has more catches and yards than New York's best receiver, Steve Smith Lite who has 52 receptions for 530 yards.
  • Carolina is the only team (despite the recent "Smash & Dash" controversy) that has more than one running back in the top 20. Stewart ranks 20th with 751 yards and a 4.8 YPC average.
  • John Kasay leads the NFL in field goal percentage (minimum 15 attempts) with a long of 50 yards and his only miss was an ill-advised 58 yard attempt. That is better than '08 Pro Bowl kicker John Carney, who has a 96 percent completion rate with two blocks and ZERO attempts of 50 or more yards.
  • The Giants co-lead the league in safeties with three. I'm not sure the Panthers have forced three safeties in their history.
  • The Giants are tied for 5th with 40 sacks. Carolina ranks 9th with 32.
  • Conversely, Carolina is 7th in sacks allowed with 19, while New York is 10th with 23. (To be fair, eight of those sacks were given up to Dallas last week.)
  • The Panthers and Giants are 15th and 18th respectively in kickoff return average. Neither team has a KO return for a TD.
  • The Panthers are tied for 5th in the league in punt return average. New York is tied for 16th, but that tranlates to less than a two yard difference in averages.
  • The Panthers have fumbled 11 times and lost 7 of them. New York has fumbled more, 16 times, but only lost 3. Are they good or just lucky?

I really wish NFL.com had a way to set parameters for searching stats (by quarter, during a specific time peried, etc.) but this gives us a good snapshot of what the Panthers are up against.

I would say that Sunday night's game will be a clash between two VERY similar teams. There's no way, especially with the injuries each team is dealing with, to tell what kind of game it will be, much less the outcome. The Giants have the advantage of playing at home, but the Panthers will be inspired by Big Cat's heart issues.

The only thing I can say with any certainty, is that this game will be every bit the matchup the NFL hoped it would be when they flexed the game to Sunday night. Enjoy your weekend, Huddlers. Sunday night, we go to war! :mad:

Don't know about all the numbers. Seems what is in the past won't matter. Only the guys who are the most physical and impose their will on the elements and their competitors will emerge victorious.

Panthers gonna roll on Sunday. Gotta be a fool to miss this battle in the snow. That is football at its most primal.

Stats are for losers.

I knew someone would say it.

I'm not big into stats (because I think they can be skewed to support nearly any viewpoint) but I have tried to present these stats without bias toward the Panthers or the Giants. (The key word being tried.)

• Carolina leads the league in rushing touchdowns (Giants tied for 7th) but is tied for 14th best in rushing TDs allowed (Giants tied for 9th.)
  • Carolina is tied for 23rd in passing TDs while NY is tied for 8th (but there is only a seven TD difference between the two.)
  • Carolina is 8th in scoring offense. NY is 4th.
  • Carolina is 6th in scoring defense. NY is 4th.
  • Out of the top 15 rushers in the NFL, only DeAngelo Williams and Ladanian Tomlinson have yet to fumble the ball.
  • Of the top 25 rushers, only Williams and Brandon Jacobs are averaging more than 5 YPC. Williams leads Jacobs by nearly half a yard per carry.
  • Steve Smith has moved into 3rd in the NFL in receiving yards with 1240, but leads the NFL in yards per game. He trails Roddy White (league leader) by 168 yards with 33 fewer catches.
  • Carolina's second best receiver, Moose, has more catches and yards than New York's best receiver, Steve Smith Lite who has 52 receptions for 530 yards.
  • Carolina is the only team (despite the recent "Smash & Dash" controversy) that has more than one running back in the top 20. Stewart ranks 20th with 751 yards and a 4.8 YPC average.
  • John Kasay leads the NFL in field goal percentage (minimum 15 attempts) with a long of 50 yards and his only miss was an ill-advised 58 yard attempt. That is better than '08 Pro Bowl kicker John Carney, who has a 96 percent completion rate with two blocks and ZERO attempts of 50 or more yards.
  • The Giants co-lead the league in safeties with three. I'm not sure the Panthers have forced three safeties in their history.
  • The Giants are tied for 5th with 40 sacks. Carolina ranks 9th with 32.
  • Conversely, Carolina is 7th in sacks allowed with 19, while New York is 10th with 23. (To be fair, eight of those sacks were given up to Dallas last week.)
  • The Panthers and Giants are 15th and 18th respectively in kickoff return average. Neither team has a KO return for a TD.
  • The Panthers are tied for 5th in the league in punt return average. New York is tied for 16th, but that tranlates to less than a two yard difference in averages.
  • The Panthers have fumbled 11 times and lost 7 of them. New York has fumbled more, 16 times, but only lost 3. Are they good or just lucky?

I really wish NFL.com had a way to set parameters for searching stats (by quarter, during a specific time peried, etc.) but this gives us a good snapshot of what the Panthers are up against.

I would say that Sunday night's game will be a clash between two VERY similar teams. There's no way, especially with the injuries each team is dealing with, to tell what kind of game it will be, much less the outcome. The Giants have the advantage of playing at home, but the Panthers will be inspired by Big Cat's heart issues.

The only thing I can say with any certainty, is that this game will be every bit the matchup the NFL hoped it would be when they flexed the game to Sunday night. Enjoy your weekend, Huddlers. Sunday night, we go to war! :mad:

I really think this will be one of the best games this season. What are the chances of a rematch in the NFC title game?

Archived