• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How to fix it (Defense)

Mr. Scot

(Currently posting different threads breaking down changes that I feel need to be made if we're going to salvage this season; keep in mind as you read that not everything can be fixed this year, so I'm attempting to concentrate on those things which realistically can be, and going unit by unit)

DEFENSE

Point blank, it isn’t the scheme. Transition to the new scheme is a problem, it’s not the problem.

Likewise, it isn’t the injuries. Injuries are a problem, not the problem.

To me, the problem is three problems.

1) A gaping hole at a core position

2) Weakness in fundamentals and discipline

3) A lack of toughness

Here’s what can be done about it.

Trade for a quality defensive tackle

Yeah, I know. We did that already. But he’s out for the year.

Julius Peppers isn’t getting it done on the end. Why is that relevant to a discussion of the defensive tackle spot? Because the lack of corresponding interior pressure is one of the reasons he’s not earning his money.

Edge rushers can be rendered thoroughly ineffective when the quarterback they’re trying to pressure has a safe pocket he can easily step into. Blitzing can help compensate to a certain extent, but blitzing can be exploited and doesn’t really fit well into a Cover 2 based scheme.

The answer is interior pressure to push the pocket. We don’t have it. Damione Lewis is capable of generating it, but if he’s the only threat a blocking scheme can easily handle that.

As far as the run defense aspect, do I really need to say anything? Tonight’s results should make it painfully obvious that what we have right now just isn’t enough. Could it be over time? Maybe, but I’m not ready to count on that.

Yes, a trade will cost us, but the other option is dealing with a glaring hole all season.

Decide for yourself which of those is the more frightening option.

Focus on fundamentals and discipline

Jack Del Rio wasn’t the coaching god that people remember him to be, but one thing he did well in his year with the Panthers was to preach the fundamentals of hard hitting, solid tackling and disciplined play. Under Mike Trgovac, fundamentals declined pretty much on an annual basis until they were barely there.

Sad to say that although we’ve changed defensive coaches, the fundamentals haven’t shown back up yet.

Even if you have the best scheme in the league, and players with experience in that scheme, it doesn’t mean jack if you can’t tackle. And right now, we can’t. One of the words we heard over and over again as new staff was brought on to replace departed staff was “teacher”. Right now, the students look like they need to go back to class.

Charles Godfrey is one example. The ideal safety is a guy who hits like John Lynch and covers like Deion Sanders. Right now, Godfrey appears to be a player who covers like Roy Williams and tackles like Deion Sanders. Quinton Teal? Not any better, but realistically who expected him to be? Teal has limits, but at least he looks like he’s trying. Half the time, Godfrey looks like he’s almost afraid to hit people (except James Anderson).

Which brings me to the last point…

Grow a pair

Maybe it’s because they’re unsure of themselves in the scheme. Maybe it’s because they didn’t do enough hitting in training camp. Maybe it’s because injuries to key starters have slowed things up. Maybe it’s because they’re having to overcompensate for the problems caused by injuries and by point one of this rant.

Don’t know. Honestly, don’t care.

Outside of Thomas Davis and Jon Beason, few if any on this defensive unit are playing like they have any heart, any pride, or any of what Davis once famously called “bad intentions”.

And that is a big, big problem.

There needs to be a big emphasis in practice on hitting and intimidation. Right now we look like a team that people can just run right over.

And in the weeks to come, we better show somebody that we’re not, or we will be…all year.

___________________________________________________________________________________

In short, beef, brains, and balls.

We have none of those things right now, and until we get them we’re going to continue to be a defensive doormat.

I really believe Peppers had destroyed the team mentality. Yeah, the players may know in their head that it's just business. But their hearts are telling them he is making alot of money and ain't doing poo to earn it, so why should I bust my ass for a whole lot less.

I really believe Peppers had destroyed the team mentality. Yeah, the players may know in their head that it's just business. But their hearts are telling them he is making alot of money and ain't doing poo to earn it, so why should I bust my ass for a whole lot less.

I don't know that I'm ready to buy into that, but I accept it as at least a possibility.

Julius has got to show up if we want this defense to be what it could, and I honestly believe getting a proper replacement not so much for Ma'ake Kemoeatu, but for Kris Jenkins[i/], would go a long way.

Nice reference about Godfrey taking Anderson out of the game :lol:

Seriously though, I tried to count the number of times where he constantly tackled/bumped into other panther players, neglecting them to make a play at the ball. It was just unbelieveable!

Mr. Scot, would you say lose'n the "strip it" mentality would help with the tackling?

Because most of the tackles that are missed seem to be because they player doesn't wrap up... but grab at the ball try'n to knock it out. Thusly try'n to tackle with one arm, and well, that doesn't work much in the NFL.

Just an observation I made back in Preseason.

Mr. Scot, would you say lose'n the "strip it" mentality would help with the tackling?

Because most of the tackles that are missed seem to be because they player doesn't wrap up... but grab at the ball try'n to knock it out. Thusly try'n to tackle with one arm, and well, that doesn't work much in the NFL.

Just an observation I made back in Preseason.

It is possible to do both. Ron Rivera has proven that.

I would say going for turnovers is good, but make the tackle first.

Pepper is one of the Captains on the Defense. But yet he does not show leadship bit. He only gets out there to earn his 1million$ paycheck and move onto the next game. Peppers is surppose to be one of the leaders of this team and on D. But he shows no hearts at all. He goes out there and shows no emotion what so ever. The only people on that D showing any heart is Beason and TD. The rest are playing for the paycheck and that is it. Peppers is surppose to stepup. But it will never happen. bottom line peppers is the key to the panthers D heart and soul. If peppers starts playing well then the D will do fine. But if peppers keeps on playing like he is. Then we are screwed for the rest of the season. The changes need to be made now and not later.

FYI: I toyed with the idea in this thread of bringing back up the previously discussed idea of doing a position swap between Charles Godfrey (to corner) and Richard Marshall (to free safety). I have no realistic belief that such a thing could happen though, so I left it out.

I'd add that Godfrey looked better at the end of last season than he does now, which combined with other secondary issues has me wondering about Mike Gilhammer and Ron Milus.

It is possible to do both. Ron Rivera has proven that.

I would say going for turnovers is good, but make the tackle first.

Yeah, that's what I mean, they are try'n for the rip more than the tackle.

I understand when there in one of those gang tackle spots to try. but, man.

There is one tackle Richard Marshall missed after someone else missed early in the game on a ball carrier toward teh sideline, he jumped on him, and had the player stumble'n, but then when he let go with his right had to try and swat at the ball, the player broke away, and got the first down.

And I support Marshall. I have been wait'n to see him start. but, man if this is our tackling...I'd rather just have them tackle, and worry about turnovers later.

In Godfrey's defense, I would be scared too after the juke Felix Jones put on that nearly broke both his ankles.

In hindsight, I actually laugh at that...

But it's one of those laughs where you die on the inside a little each time the sound escapes your mouth...

My favorite part of the broadcast last night, John Gruden says that tackling in the NFL is like a lost art. And, obviously, Carolina has lost it.

Archived