• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just a random thought.

iamhubby1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hell, if he's T.O. minus the crazy, I hope WE draft him.

I had that thought myself.  I haven't seen him actually play, other than cutups, so I'm reserving judgement.  I also don't know if his injury has the potential to be chronic and effect his play, or if its one of those  "once it's fixed, it's fixed" things.  But if he is that good, then he needs to be on our radar at 8.

9 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Now, don't take this the wrong way, because I truly appreciate your input. But, that did nothing to diminish my confusion.

And I guess no Barnett for you eh?

Barnett is a mid-to-late first round prospect, in my opinion.  He's just not explosive enough to be a top-10 pick, although he has incredible bend and uses his hands well.  He was sick at the combine.  If he can regain some weight and put up better numbers at his pro day, then he could vault himself into the top 10.  Explosion is critically important for edge players - it is the single most predictive factor in forecasting college-to-pro pass rushers.

The bad QBs - and the fact that a few of the elite prospects (Adams, Hooker) are at non-premium positions (premium = QB, WR, OT, CB, Pass Rusher) - makes this an incredibly difficult draft to forecast.

My prediction:  If one of the top 5 "elite" players are there, we pick them.  If not, it's one of the next five.  Fournette, and Howard are probably the most likely of that group.

37 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

last time a prospect was talked about as much as Fournette on here it was Star, this year is a strange one because because most on here think Fournette would be the DUH choice, but we dont know if he would make it to us, my mock draft thread earlier was in part an attempt to figure out if that would be possible and if not who it could be.

so basically it comes down to Jax, will they go QB or not, if not they will most certainly go Fournette.  the only other possible kink is Tennessee but that has to do with WR/TE and not Fournette. the only definite that I can figure out is that we will have a shot at a top end DL and that being either Allen or Thomas.

What is the love for Thomas all about? Isn't he a DT? Or at least, isn't that his main position? I am not sure I like DTs that can go outside, as much as I like DEs that can move inside.

11 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

What is the love for Thomas all about? Isn't he a DT? Or at least, isn't that his main position? I am not sure I like DTs that can go outside, as much as I like DEs that can move inside.

Thomas is DE, Allen is a 3-4 DE which makes him bigger then your typical 4-3 DE and a few people saying he would be a DT, but he is small enough (285lbs) he could still play 4-3 DE.  Allen is arguably the second best DL in the draft but his shoulders are a big concern and will drop. 

3 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

The main reason some people say he's a DT is because he didn't play DE in a 4-3 in college and they have a hard time generalizing his skillset.  But most "experts" say he can play anywhere up and down the line, and could be dominant as a 4-3 DE.  He also showed at the combine that he definitely has the athleticism to play DE in our system.  So, yes, he's a DE...who can slide in and play DT (as opposed to a DT that can slide out and play DE like we have now).

31 minutes ago, Woodie said:

I posted this in the other thread before I saw this is the live one.

I think this draft has the potential to be as good as 2011.

Garrett

Thomas

Adams

Allen

Lattimore

Hooker

Fournette

Howard

At least one of these guys will be there at 8, and I think all can be stars.  No guarantees on any prospect, but each of these guys has the potential to be special.  And that isn’t even taking into consideration McCaffrey, Ross, Davis, and a few others that also have a chance to be special. 

So, I feel confident we will get someone really good at #8.  I do think there is a pecking order, but I’d be pleased with any of these guys.   

So...no Barnett for you either? Me? Personally, I want the best DE we can get. Let's get our cornerstone. This could be the year for it. We have a decent pick for a change. And we have a draft that has a few really good ones.

9 minutes ago, SIGCHI222 said:

I remember this back when it first happened haha, but seriously how bad has the Saint front Office been under Payton and Brees, no first round pick for 2 years, and then cap hell for the last 3 years this years. if that Front office had half a brain they could of had a few more shots at a super bowl with brees. they have been playing with one hand behind their back since pretty much 2011.  talk about squandered opportunity 

23 minutes ago, Woodie said:

First thing you need to understand is that 99% of the posters here don't know what they are talking about...unless they agree with you!

Now come on man. 99% seems kinda high. I mean, there's...wait, what about...ok then...that guy, you know? The one with all the posts. Ok then. Maybe 99% is about right. lol

1 minute ago, iamhubby1 said:

So...no Barnett for you either? Me? Personally, I want the best DE we can get. Let's get our cornerstone. This could be the year for it. We have a decent pick for a change. And we have a draft that has a few really good ones.

Barnett doesn't impress me.  I've watched a couple of his games and seen his highlights, and the impression I get from him is that he is great at taking what the offense gives him, but isn't particularly adept at taking what he wants.  Now, it's great to be able to take advantage of what the offense gives him, but when they aren't giving him anything, I don't think he'll be particularly effective.  That's something you can get away with in college, but it will be exploited in the NFL.  I'd rather have a DE that has the power, speed, technique, counters, etc. to dominate whomever he faces...and I just don't see that in Barnett.  In other words, I see him as a solid, if unspectacular, defensive end.

27 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

I just hope somehow someway John Ross and bolles/Garcia end up on the team, who we pick at 8 regardless,if its Adams, oj, fournette, lattimore or whoever, it's going to be a good pick IMO

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Do you trust Ross to make it through his rookie contract? He really isn't very big. Man, I hate to say it, but, his size does concern me.

Although, I will admit to wanting a talented WR this year. I just hate that most times, you have a waiting period as they grow into the Pro Game. Get you a quick twitch Slot guy. Get him some touches in space. Yupperz.

Archived