• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Delhomme's Mechanics and Decision Making

MurkN

So why are we throwing twice as much as we run, BEFORE the game gets out of hand?

Might have something to do with the fact that teams are lining up with 5 down linemen and 3 linebackers equalling 8 in the box with the strong safety there as well. Teams will be selling out to stop the run and daring us to throw them out of stacking the box.

Alright now here is a play broken down from the preseason against the tough Ravens defense. We come out in the I-Formation in the Twin Pro set with both wideouts lining up on the left side of the field with the ball spotted on the far right hash mark. For all you Maddenites out there here is the play art.

playcall.png

Smitty lines up on the far outside flanker position while Moose takes the slot. The play begins with play action. We have all seen this type of play before.

jake-decisions.PNG

Before the play actually begins, Jake points out the middle linebacker. Now he only does this once, even when the opponent runs a 3-4 defense where two middle linebackers are used. You can see he is not pointing at Ray Lewis, who is the middle linebacker I would be pointing to, but then again he may be pointing out to Brad Hoover the other linebacker to block.

The play begins and Brad Hoover does in fact start blocking to his right side where Jake had pointed out the blitzing linebacker slightly off screen. As the play unfolds, Goodson finds a soft spot in the middle of the field after King clears the middle. Moose runs a nice route and is actually open. Wide open in fact. From the looks of things Delhomme sees this, but instead of throwing it to Moose for a big gain and maybe even a touchdown, Jake decides to throw it to Smitty in very tight coverage.

While the pass fell incomplete, it easily could have been picked off by Ed Reed or somehow brought in by Smitty, but it wasn't a very smart pass. One could argue that the throw to Moose might not have worked because the other safety may have been there to break it up, but the fact remains Moose was more open than Smitty.

That was a very impressive post,to say the least.

Why do you believe Jake should be pointing out the other MLB? Is there any basis for this at all? Does this sincerely matter?

This is more for the oline to set there assignments as well as for the RBs that will be blocking.

Heres something else I noticed that goes along with the point I was trying to make to Mr. Scott. It appeas very very seldom does Jake even attempt to make a progression through options.

Take this play for instance. Remember in the dallas game, TD to Rossario at the end of the firt half? If you do when they came back from break they showed and commented on Jake looking off the saftey. He looked left and then threw to the right streak to Rose. This was pre determined to me. He was making the throw to rosario to start, before the ball was even snapped. He was looking down the center of the field the whole play. This to me was another of his "singular" read plays, but had some benifical lipstick on it, which is much better than what we usually get.

Heres something else I noticed that goes along with the point I was trying to make to Mr. Scott. It appeas very very seldom does Jake even attempt to make a progression through options.

Take this play for instance. Remember in the dallas game, TD to Rossario at the end of the firt half? If you do when they came back from break they showed and commented on Jake looking off the saftey. He looked left and then threw to the right streak to Rose. This was pre determined to me. He was making the throw to rosario to start, before the ball was even snapped. He was looking down the center of the field the whole play. This to me was another of his "singular" read plays, but had some benifical lipstick on it, which is much better than what we usually get.

Of course he was going to throw to Rosario after he surveyed the defense and knew what coverage they were in. He saw him lined in single coverage and knew he had to move the safety to the other side. So he looked left to intentionally cause the safety to shade that way and hit Rosario going the other way. That isn't a singular read, that is looking at the defense, knowing who is going to be open or in single coverage and manipulated the defense to get the matchup you want. You guys are amazing. Jake makes a great read and masterfully manipulated the defense and you try and make it out as a negative.

Unbelievable!!!:out:

I thought similarly to you when I first started watching the Panthers. Now I think Jake is a bit slow on reading the entire field, but when given time does it adequately. When pressured however he throws to what seems like a set receiver that the play is designed to take a chance on being the most likely open given a conservative play style from the defense.

Of course he was going to throw to Rosario after he surveyed the defense and knew what coverage they were in. He saw him lined in single coverage and knew he had to move the safety to the other side. So he looked left to intentionally cause the safety to shade that way and hit Rosario going the other way. That isn't a singular read, that is looking at the defense, knowing who is going to be open or in single coverage and manipulated the defense to get the matchup you want. You guys are amazing. Jake makes a great read and masterfully manipulated the defense and you try and make it out as a negative.

Unbelievable!!!:out:

You completely missed the point and the topic.

You completely missed the point and the topic.

No you failed to make a legitimate point. Jake reads the field well when given time. Does he sometimes telegraph things and stay on one receiver? Yes. Does he other times look off the receiver and do a great job manipulating the defense to find the open guy. Absolutely. The idea of looking at one play good or bad and extrapolating to a general statement is ridiculous.

Archived