• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New NFL Helmet Coming In Next Season - Biggest Overhaul Since 1960s

Saca312

On 5/13/2017 at 8:48 PM, TheSpecialJuan said:

It is absolutely not funny and I am offended that you think it is.

I was simply providing pictures of other helmets that people use to prevent head injuries. 

lol empathy, its the buzzword of the year....look it up.

27 minutes ago, dugbug said:

How so? 

Concussions occur when the brain bruises against the skull.  Unless you can prevent that from happening, you will always have concussions.  Yeah sure they can make better helmets, but there will always be concussions in this sport.

4 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Concussions occur when the brain bruises against the skull.  Unless you can prevent that from happening, you will always have concussions.  Yeah sure they can make better helmets, but there will always be concussions in this sport.

Agreed, but that inevitability shouldn't mean that continued safety innovations for helmets and otherwise should cease to exist.  The NFL's future might depend on it.

And as far as a false sense of security goes, (insinuating that more players will lead with their heads if they feel their equipment is safer) is exactly why the league needs to crack down and start ejecting and suspending players.  Obviously the players equipment can't do 100% of the work.  Rules and regulations have to serve as deterrents.  Fines are okay, but depending on the players salary, a several thousand dollar fine might not be a big deal.  Taking them off the field and forcing them to watch their team from the sideline is more effective IMO.

1 minute ago, dpm0409 said:

Agreed, but that inevitability shouldn't mean that continued safety innovations for helmets and otherwise should cease to exist.  The NFL's future might depend on it.

And as far as a false sense of security goes, (insinuating that more players will lead with their heads if they feel their equipment is safer) is exactly why the league needs to crack down and start ejecting and suspending players.  Obviously the players equipment can't do 100% of the work.  Rules and regulations have to serve as deterrents.  Fines are okay, but depending on the players salary, a several thousand dollar fine might not be a big deal.  Taking them off the field and forcing them to watch their team from the sideline is more effective IMO.

I agree they should continue to innovate and find ways to better protect the players.  Though perhaps ultimately, football might become a thing of the past.  I know its pessimistic, but it looks to be the case.

3 minutes ago, Matthias said:

I agree they should continue to innovate and find ways to better protect the players.  Though perhaps ultimately, football might become a thing of the past.  I know its pessimistic, but it looks to be the case.

Yeah, it's without a doubt a much larger issue than most people know or want to believe.  It'd be hard to imagine a life without football every year when September rolls around.

54 minutes ago, Matthias said:

You  have to trust the target will still be there without seeing.

Cn3iu_pWYAANwsT.jpg

I don't see football going away anytime soon. The whole protecting players was out of fear of lawsuits not really caring about players outside of being commodities. America is the most violent of all countries. We will evolve safety issues so that players can play longer and be more productive. But does the league really care about long term care for veteran players and potential head injury concerns?  Is so then why was giving pensions or medical care to retired players something that was forced on the league instead of freely given.

On 5/15/2017 at 8:12 AM, Matthias said:

im sure you can absorb the impact prior to the head such as fluid layer and bendable shell or somesuch

Archived