• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fox expects to be fired

klumme

Coach John Fox has told friends and some associates he expects to be fired once the season ends. It's not that Foxy is doing a bad coaching job; it's just that the Panthers are 0-3, and they don't appear capable of catching New Orleans and Atlanta in the South.

But he's being blamed for sticking with Jake Delhomme and Julius Peppers, two high-priced stars, who aren't producing right now. If Bill Cowher is going to leave CBS, it would make sense that his former Pittsburgh boss, Dan Rooney, would try to persuade him to go to Carolina. Rooney and Panthers owner Jerry Richardson are the best of friends. Remember, Rooney accepted a draft-choice penalty (tampering charge) for allowing his then-assistant coach Dom Capers to become Carolina's first head coach.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10201846/Countdown:-Previewing-every-NFL-game

If Fox is hanging out with you and you say, "Hey, if you guys continue playing like this do you think you'll be fired?" Well I'm sure he would either not say anything or respond in the affirmative. If he does say yes, you can just assume the Panthers will continue playing like this and tell everyone he expects to be fired. If he says it while you're out golfing in a foursome, then you get to say he told it to friends and associates. Then you have a great story people will want to read, with only the slimmest of facts to tie it to. That's how professional journalism works now.

Until I see an interview with Fox where he specifically says such a thing, or hear what he says first-hand from someone who's talked to him, then I'm taking it with a grain of salt. This whole "friends and some associates" could mean just about anything, and therefore it means nothing.

If Fox is hanging out with you and you say, "Hey, if you guys continue playing like this do you think you'll be fired?" Well I'm sure he would either not say anything or respond in the affirmative. If he does say yes, you can just assume the Panthers will continue playing like this and tell everyone he expects to be fired. If he says it while you're out golfing in a foursome, then you get to say he told it to friends and associates. Then you have a great story people will want to read, with only the slimmest of facts to tie it to. That's how professional journalism works now.

Until I see an interview with Fox where he specifically says such a thing, or hear what he says first-hand from someone who's talked to him, then I'm taking it with a grain of salt. This whole "friends and some associates" could mean just about anything, and therefore it means nothing.

you might be right about the lack of source, but the damage is done now. Fox WILL be asked about this today by the observer in the post game i am sure of it.

Wait and see.

Archived