• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina - Washington Game Grades

WCABBall

While you can't be totally satisfied with the play of the Panthers, it is win #1 on the season and at this point a win is a win. If we can build upon this and come back to 3-3 this season may not be a total waste after all.

Offense: C

at the half this grade was totally in the toilet and I certainly could not have forseen any kind of comeback after the int, but the Panters answered with a big drive for a td and scored the final 18 points of the contest. Again little to no run game and turnover problems hampered their ability to score.

QB : C

Jake had a hard time moving this team again today. Now most of that had to do with the poor o-line play but he is still holding onto the ball for an eternity and the int was his fault. Grade is average because of the last play. I hate the guy most of the time, but you have to respect the fire and desire that he plays with. Maybe the third down conversion will provide confidence.

RB: C-

Stewart played pretty well and with the lack of holes to run through, his bruising style played out better in this game. Bruising 10 yard run near midfield was a shot in the arm and he provided all 11 yards of the decisive scoring drive. Williams was so-so considering there was absolutely no holes to run through. Not much a runner can do and not his responsibility. However, it is his responsibility to hold onto the ball and his fumble almost cost us the game. Add to this grade the fumble by Hoover.

WR: B-

I thought Smith made some big catches in the 2nd half. He didn't pull down 10 for 100 yards but his two tough catches over the middle led to 10 points. Moose also made some plays to convert on 3rd down. I know he had his hands on the int, but the ball was behind and would have been a great catch.

O-Line: D-

Tempted to grade an F, but they did play better late in the game. However, for the majority of the game there was no holes at all and mix in sacks and holding calls and you have a terrible day for this unit. They have to play better for this team to have a chance at .500

Defense: A

The defense was awesome today from start to finish. They had life and energy and played pysical against the run and on the pass rush. 14 of the points were on the offense leaving them giving up 3 for the game.

D-Line: A+

Best game so far for many players on this unit (Peppers, Lewis, Brown, Brayton). Against the run, I thought Hollis Thomas made an immediate impact allowing the LB to make plays. Also Brayton and even Peppers made some plays helping hold the Washington run game to nearly nothing. Against the pass, the rush was the best this year by a mile. Consistent pressure from different guys including DT's. Peppers played like a pro bowl player and needs to bring that in order for us to be good and I liked the play of Lewis in this game.

LB: A

T. Davis continues to have his best year and Beason made a ton of big plays in this game. I love our combo of LB. Little talked about was the job they did along with the S in shutting down Cooley who had caught a pass in the previous 76 games.

DB: B

Solid game from this unit as well. Certainly they recieved a shot in the arm from the return of Harris and the Panthers pass rush.

Special Teams: A

High grade but I felt that this unit had a direct impact on the winning of this game with 2 plays. The Moore kick return was huge for us. At 17-2 we needed something to spark us and Moore provided that giving the Panthers field position in Washington territory and a quick answer TD. The fumble recovery was the play of the game and provided a direct avenue to the winning score. In addition the punt coverage team was good all day and Lloyd finally kicked the ball the way we all expected.

Good win, not pretty but good. If we can correct the turnover problems we win this game easily.

My general rule is your playing in the NFL if you get 2 hands on the ball you should make the catch, and Moose and 2 hands on the ball.

So sorry but that INT was Moose's fault.

I was expecting Moore to start at the #2 spot over Moose coming out of the break. Didn't happen, but Moore still made a big play.

Archived