• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Comic book collectors

The Lobo

I read just about everything. Marvel, DC, Image, as long as its good I'll read it. Here lately though, I've only been buying single issues of Indies and trade waiting the books that interest me from the big two. With me being an hour away from my comic shop, teaching full time and my wife being pregnant, trade waiting the majority of the books that interest me makes sense. I'm currently reading the following: 

Single Issues: 

• The Walking Dead 
  • Invincible (it's over tomorrow though :() 
  • Southern Bastards 
  • East of West 
  • Outcast

Prob some others that I'm forgetting. 

Trade Waiting:

• Superman Rebirth (Easily the best DC rebirth book) 
  • Batman Rebirth (King's been up and down but it's had its moments)
  • Nightwing Rebirth (Been a fun run so far. Seely just finished it though so i'll prob hop off after that volume comes out unless the new guy kills it) 
  • TMNT IDW series (This series is awesome. And i'm waiting for the collectors editions so the books look awesome on the shelf) 
  • Despicable Deadpool (new volume isn't out yet but it's getting really good reviews. I'll check it out once it comes out) 
  • Captain America (If Waid and Samnee are on it, i'm buying it) 
  • GOTG (I'm just a sucker for the Guardians. Book looks fun though. 
  • Redneck (Only indie book im trade waiting atm. This book is AWESOME. Go read it. Now) 

Man, I used to have hundreds of comics as a teen. Even worked in a comic store for a while (right when Image got started). I mostly collected Marvel and some Batman. I was all in on XMen. I even had #98 I think it is. The one AFTER the new XMen get introduced and Thunderbird dies (spoiler alert). It wasn't anywhere near as valuable but was still the prize. That and the ones right around 141 (Days of Future Past) and 211 (Wolverine and Sabertooth). Chris Claremont was the writer back then and I was hooked.

And McFarlane was awesome to watch. His days on Batman were amazing and his transformation of Spidey were great. And then Image revolution was so satisfying but not long after...I stopped reading comics and moved on. As for the best graphic novel I've ever read, my default would be Dark Knight Returns. That book had a profound impact on how I thought about all comics. But probably the one that was the most interesting to me was Kingdom Come. To actually add depth to the cardboard cut out that is Superman and make him a 3 dimensional character combined with the jaw dropping art of Alex Scott (I think that's his name)...that book was transformative, to me.

52 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

Man, I used to have hundreds of comics as a teen. Even worked in a comic store for a while (right when Image got started). I mostly collected Marvel and some Batman. I was all in on XMen. I even had #98 I think it is. The one AFTER the new XMen get introduced and Thunderbird dies (spoiler alert). It wasn't anywhere near as valuable but was still the prize. That and the ones right around 141 (Days of Future Past) and 211 (Wolverine and Sabertooth). Chris Claremont was the writer back then and I was hooked.

And McFarlane was awesome to watch. His days on Batman were amazing and his transformation of Spidey were great. And then Image revolution was so satisfying but not long after...I stopped reading comics and moved on. As for the best graphic novel I've ever read, my default would be Dark Knight Returns. That book had a profound impact on how I thought about all comics. But probably the one that was the most interesting to me was Kingdom Come. To actually add depth to the cardboard cut out that is Superman and make him a 3 dimensional character combined with the jaw dropping art of Alex Scott (I think that's his name)...that book was transformative, to me.

I've tried to get into the TDKR numerous times and I  appreciate it for what it is and how meaningful it was for the industry as a whole, but it comes across a little silly to me at times. I think the art and the street gang throw me off for whatever reason. 

1 hour ago, RealBitsOfPanther said:

I've tried to get into the TDKR numerous times and I  appreciate it for what it is and how meaningful it was for the industry as a whole, but it comes across a little silly to me at times. I think the art and the street gang throw me off for whatever reason. 

I don't think you're wrong. But it was so different than anything at the time. And Frank Miller was a breath of fresh air that was so rejuvinating. Frank Miller was able to make Daredevil very cool...and that's no easy task. He's obviously gone on to do even better things but, to me, TDKR was kind of like the Beatles coming out with SGT Pepper's. It just changed the game really. But I thought Kingdom Come was smarter, accomplished a task not really done before (giving Superman a personality) and the "realistic" watercolor of Alex Ross (that's his name) was just amazing to me.

kingdom-come-4.thumb.jpg.2a2a6cfe473f6d07b64f02e0fa1fa7cb.jpg

2 hours ago, Moorgan said:

I don't think you're wrong. But it was so different than anything at the time. And Frank Miller was a breath of fresh air that was so rejuvinating. Frank Miller was able to make Daredevil very cool...and that's no easy task. He's obviously gone on to do even better things but, to me, TDKR was kind of like the Beatles coming out with SGT Pepper's. It just changed the game really. But I thought Kingdom Come was smarter, accomplished a task not really done before (giving Superman a personality) and the "realistic" watercolor of Alex Ross (that's his name) was just amazing to me.

kingdom-come-4.thumb.jpg.2a2a6cfe473f6d07b64f02e0fa1fa7cb.jpg

Yea with me being born in 89 and my first reading of it being when I was like 11/12/13, it prob diddnt resonate as much with me. I grew up with the animated Batman series so dark,brooding Bats was all I knew. Kingdom Come was dope though. I really enjoyed it when I read it. It's on my shelf somewhere. 

1 hour ago, RealBitsOfPanther said:

Yea with me being born in 89 and my first reading of it being when I was like 11/12/13, it prob diddnt resonate as much with me. I grew up with the animated Batman series so dark,brooding Bats was all I knew. Kingdom Come was dope though. I really enjoyed it when I read it. It's on my shelf somewhere. 

Being born in 1973, I grew up on the TV show Batman (Pow, Bam, etc). A dark and brooding Batman was everything I needed to fall in love with Wolverine.

On 2/14/2018 at 11:03 AM, RealBitsOfPanther said:

Anyone getting any new books today? The last issue of Invincible comes out today :( :(

Sad day indeed. Such an underrated book (i think it’s Kirkmans best) I don’t buy the issues, I have the hardcovers so I’m waiting for them to release. Allen the Alien is the best.

On 2/12/2018 at 12:31 PM, RealBitsOfPanther said:

I read just about everything. Marvel, DC, Image, as long as its good I'll read it. Here lately though, I've only been buying single issues of Indies and trade waiting the books that interest me from the big two. With me being an hour away from my comic shop, teaching full time and my wife being pregnant, trade waiting the majority of the books that interest me makes sense. I'm currently reading the following: 

Single Issues: 

• The Walking Dead 
  • Invincible (it's over tomorrow though :() 
  • Southern Bastards 
  • East of West 
  • Outcast

Prob some others that I'm forgetting. 

Trade Waiting:

• Superman Rebirth (Easily the best DC rebirth book) 
  • Batman Rebirth (King's been up and down but it's had its moments)
  • Nightwing Rebirth (Been a fun run so far. Seely just finished it though so i'll prob hop off after that volume comes out unless the new guy kills it) 
  • TMNT IDW series (This series is awesome. And i'm waiting for the collectors editions so the books look awesome on the shelf) 
  • Despicable Deadpool (new volume isn't out yet but it's getting really good reviews. I'll check it out once it comes out) 
  • Captain America (If Waid and Samnee are on it, i'm buying it) 
  • GOTG (I'm just a sucker for the Guardians. Book looks fun though. 
  • Redneck (Only indie book im trade waiting atm. This book is AWESOME. Go read it. Now) 

East of west is bad ass. Some other good trades if you’re interested (Image) The Wake and Wytches, Scott Snyder may be on of the best writers out there.

I have actually just started reading Redneck, not too shabby. 

only DC stuff I buy is Batman/Nightwing and the flash. I was a huge red lantern fan because of Atrocitus, but Rebirth has changed a lot.

Grant Morrison’s run on Batman and Robin was some of the best stories I’ve read. Also, check out Batman Black Mirror (its when Grayson is Batman) great story. 

Archived