• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lake Dawson Has Second Interview With Panthers For GM Job

bobsfoodbasics

Just now, Black&Blue said:

You act like cronyism is rare in the NFL.

I'm completely with you on JR botching this thing from the very beginning.  It was impulsive and wreck less.   What I reject is the notion that the Carolina Panthers are universally  just because the former owner once allegedly said ****** once.  

When I research potential coaches / front office / players / whatever, I always look at prior connections. Heck, that's why we have Norv Turner.

Cronyism isn't necessarily bad.  It becomes bad when the beneficiary of it isn't good at their job.  For example, Ron Rivera kept Mike Shula and defended him against pressure to let him go because he liked him.  And likewise, Jerry Richardson is the only person that will hite Marty Hurney as a GM because they're buddies.

Is Richardson racist?  A lot of people on this board would say yes.  Me? My answer would be I don't know.  He made a racist comment that was apparently bad enough he needed a non-disclosure agreement to keep the story out of the news.  Judge for yourself how much weight that carries.

His wanting to hire Hurney over far more qualified African American candidates may be seen as racism by some.  I personally attribute it more to stupidity than racism, but everyone will make their own judgment on that front.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Would make more of a difference if he were a better owner.

And that's the thing: It's not so much that Jerry Richardson wants to hire Marty Hurney over Lake Dawson.  The problem is that Jerry Richardson wants to hire Marty Hurney over anybody and everybody. And it has nothing to do with Marty being good or bad at his job.  It has everything to do with him being a loyal employee.

I actually didn't mind Hurney and I'm probably one of his few supporters on here.Dawson, Raye III and Mayhew are all qualified candidates although I'm not as high on Mayhew as the other two. With the allegations coming out it's time to move in a new direction. Give Dawson or Raye III a 4 year deal and see what kind of roster we get.

4 minutes ago, The Righteous Troll said:

I actually didn't mind Hurney and I'm probably one of his few supporters on here.Dawson, Raye III and Mayhew are all qualified candidates although I'm not as high on Mayhew as the other two. With the allegations coming out it's time to move in a new direction. Give Dawson or Raye III a 4 year deal and see what kind of roster we get.

Raye was my favorite choice, but after doing more extensive research on Dawson I'm now very high on him as well.

If they ultimately do make the stupid move of choosing Hurney, I'd say giving him more than a one year contract is probably a waste of money.  If the new owners have even the slightest clue about football, they'll fire him.  And then all that accomplishes is getting Marty one last big paycheck (which is one possible goal here).

12 minutes ago, Black&Blue said:

You act like cronyism is rare in the NFL.

I'm completely with you on JR botching this thing from the very beginning.  It was impulsive and wreck less.   What I reject is the notion that the Carolina Panthers are universally  just because the former owner once allegedly said ****** once.  

Richardson has a track record but the reason isn't him saying ***** once (trust me he probably used it more than once), the reason he is in trouble is because of the workplace misconduct with women.

Your is example is like saying :"Of all the women he's hired how could we call him a sexist for making repeated unwanted advances on a few female employees"

He's not Harvey Wienstein or Donald Sterling  screwed but he's really did get "#Metoo ed". The Panthers exist it's time to get far far away from Richardson

4 minutes ago, The Righteous Troll said:

Richardson has a track record but the reason isn't him saying ***** once (trust me he probably used it more than once), the reason he is in trouble is because of the workplace misconduct with women.

Your is example is like saying :"Of all the women he's hired how could we call him a sexist for making repeated unwanted advances on a few female employees"

He's not Harvey Wienstein or Donald Sterling  screwed but he's really did get "#Metoo ed". The Panthers exist it's time to get far far away from Richardson

The charges detailed in SI were extensive, well documented and not limited to one or two women.  They made it quite clear this was a culture, not an exception.

I've wanted to see the Panthers under new ownership, but I hate that it happened this way.  Seems like this team never makes the most positive changes unless someone or something forces them info it.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Raye was my favorite choice, but after doing more extensive research on Dawson I'm now very high on him as well.

If they ultimately do make the stupid move of choosing Hurney, I'd say giving him more than a one year contract is probably a waste of money.  If the new owners have even the slightest clue about football, they'll fire him.  And then all that accomplishes is getting Marty one last big paycheck (which is one possible goal here).

The new owners will probably let him honor the remainder of his contract but for the most part he'll act as a facilitator to whoever the new GM will be. He could come back at another position but he needs to lay low....too much of the wrong publicity is on the Panthers right now.

Archived