• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kemba Walker On His Future

20 hours ago, RIAnBOW said:

The point on Harden is OKC declined to offer him an acceptable deal.....same as letting him walk.

I think Mike Jordan is 100% inept but I would never refer to him as a "useless piece of garbage".  Language like that only makes you look bad.

It appears you believe paying Kemba a super-max contract would be the proper thing to do --- FTR, this is $221 million over 5-years....or, $44,200,000 per year.  ($539,024 per game in case you wondered).

Mike Jordan is already obligated to $103,000,000 in 2019...that doesn't count re-signing Lamb or Kaminsky (who made $11 million combined this year).  Kemba would take the payroll to $147 million and if Lamb & Frank are kept that goes to $165 million minimum.  The luxury tax kicks in at $132 million and if Mike also keeps Lamb & Frank he would be $33 million over that.  At that level his luxury tax bill would be more than another $120,000,000....so total payroll would go to $285,000,000.  In case you are unaware, Mike Jordan has never paid even $1 of luxury tax.... 

Lamb and Frank were integral to the good play last year.

I'm sure I made some kind of mistake/s in the calculations there....

....how about you walk me through your scenario where Mike "works it out". 

These two links might be helpful to you (team salary obligations & NBA luxury tax details):

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/CHO.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxury_tax_(sports)

Makes me look bad? You know who really made themselves look bad? Him, for starters. How does that make me look bad. Not my fault Batum's play has been nowhere near the level of a 26 million dollar man. 

I'm very aware of the luxury tax and NBA salary rules and I'm not insinuating that we play Kemba the super-max.... I was actually insinuating that we actually don't get reeled into a John Wall type scenario in a post above. He is not worth the super-max and he won't get it imo. I'm saying we should attempt to pay him a reasonable amount of money instead of letting him walk. 

I know we're not going to pay the luxury tax, nor should we. Also why are you assuming we re-sign Lamb. That's a no if Kemba stays. I understand how the luxury tax works, you don't have to explain it to me. Adding up money to get to absurd luxury tax levels doesn't change my mind.

The scenario where Mitch works it out you ask? Well, we've got 50 million in expiring contracts this season, which gives us a LOT more wiggle room to make some financial magic happen than we could last year. I'm thinking some sort of Marvin/MKG trade or even Biz could happen, even this summer if we need to shed the money before signing Walker. 

2 hours ago, RIAnBOW said:

Yes, makes you look bad.  Batum didn't give himself that contract, Mike Jordan did.  No reason to call him "garbage".

In your opinion what is the maximum amount the Hornets should offer Kemba?

You position seemed to be that keeping Kemba would allow the team to capitalize on the momentum they had at the end of this year as they plow into next year.  Lamb was a huge part of that.  Who will replace Lamb that will be as good or better?  Do you think we should keep Frank the Tank?

In fact only 2 contracts are guaranteed going into 2020-2021....Batum & Cody for a total of $42.5 million....but, NBA players don't play for free and I have zero faith in Mike Jordan's ability to rebuild that roster with players who are both effective and good value --- "financial magic" is not something Mike is capable of.

Nobody wants Marvin or MKG or Biz....they are not tradeable.

A few things:

1.  Mike Jordan is on the record saying he will not pay luxury taxes unless it's for a team that "is a contender".

2.  I can't see any way that Mike can re-sign Kemba and not immediately exceed the luxury-tax threshold for 2019...which would thereby obligate him to pay luxury taxes.

3.  Even if Kemba is re-signed the team will not be a contender.

Do you believe Mike Jordan will reverse his position and start paying luxury taxes this season in order to keep Kemba around on a non-contender?

No I do not think Mike will want to pay the luxury tax. I'd be cool giving him a five year max at $188 million total to be honest. I think that's fair for both sides. If he's up for the super max I don't think I'd be willing to go that high. 

Marvin and MKG, and Biz are tradable because they are expiring. Also Mitch is the GM, not Mike, I'm sure he's the one who can handle this stuff. 

2 hours ago, archer4364 said:

No I do not think Mike will want to pay the luxury tax. I'd be cool giving him a five year max at $188 million total to be honest. I think that's fair for both sides. If he's up for the super max I don't think I'd be willing to go that high. 

Marvin and MKG, and Biz are tradable because they are expiring. Also Mitch is the GM, not Mike, I'm sure he's the one who can handle this stuff. 

Expiring deals don't have the value they once did, those contracts are pretty much untradable without giving up something in value in return or taking a bad contract back. 

Best route for hornets is to start over.

Draft a young guy, plan on being bad/have low expectations, and see if anyone surprises you. 

This way you can hopefully build a young talented core with cap room and pray potential free agents come then. But this quick fix Jordan and the team have been doing for years won't cut it. 

15 minutes ago, RIAnBOW said:

That's an interesting take.  I was under the impression Gasol had no interest i ncoming to Charlotte.  Is there some press coverage out there that gives details on Kemba's position?

I heard it on that espn playoff preview special. I forgot what nba insider said it l, maybe woj, but they touched on Kemba and said he loves Charlotte but that last minute gasol trade collapse deflated him. 

Found it 

17 minutes ago, RIAnBOW said:

Agreed.

If they can get some sort of pre-packaged sign & trade deal done with Kemba that's fine....but otherwise let him walk.

Tear the house down, clear the lot, and start over with a new foundation. 

If Mike Jordan continues to make all the calls even that strategy has a low probability of paying off but at least it's a logical and responsible path to take.

Man exactly. I wouldn't trust them to tear it all down honestly but that's what you do you throw every possible pick and player at the wall and see what sticks. But it's alot harder when you don't get more pieces/picks for a player and he just walks. 

10 minutes ago, RIAnBOW said:

Very interesting, thanks.  I have nothing to back it up for some reason I'm thinking Gasol didn't want to come here...but I guess for him to control it he would have had to have a no-trade clause in his deal.

Was the glitch due to Hornets unwilling to throw in the #1?

No they were willing to include the pick, the trade fell apart because of protection.

This is also what Kemba was referring to when he said the team had to improve and the ball was in the front offices hands and he would see what they did. They are gonna have to make a major move to keep Kemba. 

Found the article. Here

I saw that NY knicks want a pick in the 30's in exchange to move Frank Ntilikina's lottery contract. 
https://nypost.com/2019/04/19/disastrous-phil-jackson-trade-could-lead-to-frank-ntilikina-draft-night-deal/
"Knicks open to a draft day deal in which Frank Ntilikina could be on the move if the Knicks can obtain a late first-rounder or a pick in the 30’s. If Ntilikina is traded for a draft pick, that would open an additional $5 million in cap space next season."

We have Washington's 2nd rounder. https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

If Kemba and Tony is leaving, we have a rookie contract replacement. 
A defensive passing guard to pair with Malik. 6'6'' with 7'1'' wingspan to guard the SG and willing passer to Malik. 
French connection with Batum. 

Knicks want to open the cap space maybe to sign for Kemba. We could get back a PG. 

Just researching what Hornets could do.

15 hours ago, carpanfan96 said:

No they were willing to include the pick, the trade fell apart because of protection.

Without knowing the details, it's kinda hard to kill the Hornets for that. Especially considering that Gasol could be a free agent this summer. 

4 hours ago, djp14 said:

Without knowing the details, it's kinda hard to kill the Hornets for that. Especially considering that Gasol could be a free agent this summer. 

I'm personally not killing them, this is pretty much Kemba and how he feels and felt. 

I've thought for two seasons that the best course of action was to trade Kemba. I'd have wanted to keep the pick. 

1. For his sake so he can compete for a championship. 

2. So the Hornets get back a decent package including 1st round picks. 

Kemba is a rich man's Isiah Thomas (not that one) yea we will suck next year but we already do lol he's not going somewhere to win a championship so lets stop that talk right now Kemba Walker will not retire with an NBA championship charlotte or not

Archived