• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Smitty and returning punts.

weyco2000

My thoughts exactly. Just before Moore botched the return, I was thinking about that 05' playoff game and how they should think about putting Smith back there.

Now that I think about it, that game had a lot riding on it. Getting to .500, keeping the momentum that they had built from the past 2 wins. why not at least try?

I wouldn't expect him to run it back, but if he had a shot, take it, if not, get what you can and get out of bounds. And hell, even if all he could do was fair catch the damn thing, it's better than what ended up happening.

When they are one of your best offensive weapons, highest paid at that position, they don't tend to put them at risk.

Ed Reed may be the best defensive player in the league...and that arguement can be made for many previous years. They put him at risk.

MJD is the Jacksonville Jags - they put him at risk.

If players can make an impact and coaches feel that impact is needed....then coaches put them in. I would have had Smitty field that last kick in against Buffalo....our returners have potential but they don't have confidence. They also aren't natural returnmen....I wouldn't use Smith often but I would use him.

Ed Reed may be the best defensive player in the league...and that arguement can be made for many previous years. They put him at risk.

MJD is the Jacksonville Jags - they put him at risk.

If players can make an impact and coaches feel that impact is needed....then coaches put them in. I would have had Smitty field that last kick in against Buffalo....our returners have potential but they don't have confidence. They also aren't natural returnmen....I wouldn't use Smith often but I would use him.

I just looked at the returners for this season, and I see no player who is the highest paid at their position on their team. But I do thank you for the fan club stuff, CRA! Catdaddy Rules All!

I just looked at the returners for this season, and I see no player who is the highest paid at their position on their team. But I do thank you for the fan club stuff, CRA! Catdaddy Rules All!

I just gave you 2 examples.

Don't see anyone who is the highest paid player, at their position on their team, returning any kind of kicks. Give me some facts, and I'll believe you, but until then keep worshipping me!

Ed Reed has been argueably not only the best S on his team but the best defensive player in the entire NFL....for a few seasons.

there are many others who meet the criteria this year you set...and there are many who meet your criteria every single season if you actually look at the facts.

Ed Reed has been argueably not only the best S on his team but the best defensive player in the entire NFL....for a few seasons.

there are many others who meet the criteria this year you set...and there are many who meet your criteria every single season if you actually look at the facts.

He's had 3 returns for 11 yards, and he's not highest paid at his position on his team. Keep worshipping!

He's had 3 returns for 11 yards, and he's not highest paid at his position on his team. Keep worshipping!

I was going to chime in and comment on how I agree with you about the big shots punt returners are exposed too but then you started that "Keep worshiping" crap and I simply can not align myself with such douche bag behavior.

and again, I am not saying Smith should be the return man...but he should be used. The Ravens have consistantly used Ed Reed as a return man in select situations the past few years.......

the past few seasons Ed has been used (exactly how I claim Smith should be used). Ed Reed does meet your critieria....if not more so than Smith the past few seasons.

and again, there are plenty of guys who meet the critieria you are suggesting...

whether you agree they should be used is different...but the simple fact remains coaches do use these guys in situational returning roles which makes you 100% wrong.

and again, I am not saying Smith should be the return man...but he should be used. The Ravens have consistantly used Ed Reed as a return man in select situations the past few years.......

the past few seasons Ed has been used (exactly how I claim Smith should be used). Ed Reed does meet your critieria....if not more so than Smith the past few seasons.

and again, there are plenty of guys who meet the critieria you are suggesting...

whether you agree they should be used is different...but the simple fact remains coaches do use these guys in situational returning roles which makes you 100% wrong.

I would put Smith in if he didn't have the contract he has, or if teams didn't double team him , but you have a good point. Ed has ran how many picks back for Td's since he's been in the Nfl? That is more like a punt or kickoff than being a number one receiver catching a pass. On offense you know where you and your teammates are going to be on the field. You got to have a feel for it, and Smitty does, but the lack of practice at it isn't worth the risk. But still Ed is all you have? He again, is not the highest paid. But back to the worship thing, I'm joking. I clearly know your initials mean Carolina romps Arizona!

I would put Smith in if he didn't have the contract he has, or if teams didn't double team him , but you have a good point. Ed has ran how many picks back for Td's since he's been in the Nfl? That is more like a punt or kickoff than being a number one receiver catching a pass. On offense you know where you and your teammates are going to be on the field. You got to have a feel for it, and Smitty does, but the lack of practice at it isn't worth the risk. But still Ed is all you have? He again, is not the highest paid. But back to the worship thing, I'm joking. I clearly know your initials mean Carolina romps Arizona!

Who is the highest paid S then? He was the highest paid the previous seasons at his position in Balt....so if he was jumped it was just this year.

He isn't the only example...he is just the best. I don't have 09 to look at to rank all salaries but I can look at every other year....there are plenty example each season fo coaches going to those guys in situational roles.

Moose was injured Sunday as he was blocking, injuries most times happen when you dont see it coming. My point was he should have returned those 2 punts only. A HC puts his players in position to win games and the season could have been turned around if he breaks off a big return or a TD. If you go back and watch the falcons game, when they stopped them on third down, Smitty was putting his helmet on and running as if he was going in to return the punt. Just imagine a punter or HC crapping their pants as smith runs on to the field, gives us another weapon in CLOSE games. Makes other teams prepare for this in practice also. If he refuses to return kicks when asked, that are potential game and season changing, then he needs to stop bitching about getting the ball. It's a TEAM sport, it shouldnt be about personal statistics. I would be willing to bet Marino or Brees would give up all their records for a SB ring. Maybe thats the problem with this team, not everyone is putting the team first!

I hope they don't do it. If he was to get hurt doing it, there goes our double covered receiver, which helps us in so many ways. It helps the run game more than you believe, as well as the tide ends getting open. If he was to go down, the other teams could man to man our receivers and stack the box for the run.
This!

Smith could tear his ACL playing soccer w/ his kid. He is a football player and he is at no more risk returning punts than he is playing other snaps as WR.
You got a bunch of special teamers trying to make a name for themselves running down the field kamikaze style wanting to be the one to knock Steve Smiths head off!I think there is a lot more risk for him to return punts.I could see him doing it once in a playoff game that is close,but that's it.

Archived