• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam vs Kyle

AU-panther

KA will an ERFA after this season aka cheap as fug. 

All I have to say is IF KA keeps up winning, it will be hard and tbh very moronic to bench a hot hand that has rapport for the majority of the season with O unit.

Cam would and will need to be 100% or at least 90% before I would allow him to play again, for his long term health. All players should value long term health over money imo. Cam is a smart man, has tons of money, has multiple charities, is loved by the kids/fans worldwide, knows how to make an impact off the field, and is marketable. I am leading to what could happen that I see.

So three different paths I see:

If Cam were to comeback and struggle due to rust and lack of team rapport (this take hinges on IF KA getting Panthers a chance to be in the post season), how will this look upon Cam. A PR nightmare. It would be a huge risk. I do not want Cam to go out in flames. He would be prime to be cut in the offseason if that happened, especially IF KA had a winning streak and Cam showed no progression "recovering" from the injury. A tarnished image is not what I want for him, an a la Jack Delhommie ending........

If Cam were to be IR'd after testing his foot and discovering that it is not fully healed or will not heal properly, I can see him retire after the season. I would not be worried because he has a good head on his shoulders and a big heart. He will be successful in post NFL that is for damn sure. Hell I can see him and Smitty reunite in Sports Broadcasting! Now to the last take that will piss the Huddle off.

If Cam were to comeback healthy enough and wins the SB this year to silence his critics on this board, social media and the pundits forever, the next step is to extend or not? He will be crossing over the 30 barrier, with a string of injuries as of late and a hefty price tag. What would you do? I would prob pull the most raging thing ever. I would trade Cam for capital on his final year. Why? Like Tepper, I am a numbers man, a realist, a man that loves to analyze. Putting myself in Tepper's shoes, I know the window of what and who Cam is will be a small window at a steep price with a high probability of reinjury or worse. Cam is an investment that the old guard neglected imo, did not protect him, and did not maximize his talents majority of the time so the shelf life is less than normal. Tepper forked up a lot of dough to purchase this team. He knows it would be best to offer an extension that would be Brady-like team friendly type deal but trading gives the team draft capital and tons of cap space IF Cam said no to the deal. This league is all about team play instead of one player. Cam in his best, is straight up dominant. I mean, he only carried the offense pretty much every year he has played. Bullet passes, cannon arm, lowering the shoulder for a block to help the RBs, and bullying or being an acrobat on his way for TD. How many more times is there left of those moments? The new contract hinges on what is left. A big contract hinders maintaining draft talent, FA shopping, etc. This is a team sport at the max. Look at Philly during their SB win. The iggles had depth, great defense and offensive weapons. QB position is still the most important of all which makes this situation exciting and enraging all at the same time. This why I would shock the world and be a contrarian to the conventional.

Lol let thepoo GIF

commence.

I think at this point Cam is not going to garner a 4 year, 30+ million per year contract like many people are implying. First off, there's no need to extend Cam this offseason. We have him at a bargain next year. If he looks like he's rounding back into form and manages to stay relatively healthy through next year, we could offer a 3 year, $70 million contract with $30 million or so in guarantees giving us a reasonable out after one year if he looks done again. If he wants significantly more than that, we move on to Kyle Allen or plan C rather than getting stuck paying a 32 year old Cam 20% of our cap space. Now obviously if he starts playing at an mvp level again, his asking price will be much higher but as much as I'd like for that to happen, it seems fairly unlikely. And even then, I don't think you can justify a contract with a ton of guarantees with his recent injury history. 

11 hours ago, musicman said:

Unless Cam comes back and leads us to the SB, I think they will go in a different direction and I hate that because I really like Cam. 2015 was so special. But, you can't afford to extend Luke, pay CMC, Samuel, Bradberry and Shaq and maybe sign a new guy or 2. And what about DJ Moore in 2 years? I think they take the money, Allen and Grier and role the dice with keeping the rest of the team in tack (if they remain healthy and play well).

I agree.  If we somehow win the SB with Cam at QB, I'd hand him the checkbook and tell him to write in a number.

But if Allen keeps winning, I doubt Cam will be "fully healthy" this year. If we make the playoffs with Allen at QB, I believe the Cam era will be over. 

If he is healthy, we can trade Cam.  We save the 20m, get a couple of high picks, and continue to build up the defense.  There are probably several teams out there that are willing to roll the dice for a potential franchise QB. But if we can put together a top 3 defense that can hold teams to 14-17 points per game, we simply do not need a 30 million dollar QB. 

Archived