• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers' Martin brings home pair of Arizona souvenirs

Rod Butsecks

(By Charles Chandler, [email protected]) Sherrod Martin brought two footballs home from Arizona, one for each of his interceptions of future Hall of Fame candidate Kurt Warner. p/ It was a splendid starting debut for Martin, the Carolina Panthers' rookie free safety who was filling in for injured Charles Godfrey. Martin's interceptions helped spark the Panthers to a 34-21 win over Warner and the Cardinals.

More...

Martin watched Brees and the Saints beat Atlanta on Monday Night Football and, of course, has been deep into film study of New Orleans' attack this week.

But Martin doesn't look or sound intimidated, or even wide-eyed, about the prospect of facing Brees.

"It's the NFL and a quarterback is a quarterback," he said. "I'm coming in and just trying to help the team out.

"It's all about what you do when you step on the field. Everything you've done in the past goes out the window. If you step on the field and you've done great things, you've got to do them all over again."

I like that quote.

The fact that he was in position to make two of those picks was better than what Godfrey has offered. One thing is for sure...Meeks has delivered on improving our defense over what Turdovac was doing.
it sounded like some people were saying that his INTs weren't that big of a deal or didn't speak to how good he is because he was just "in the right place at the right time" but isn't that how you are supposed to be? it isn't easy to put yourself in that situation. it isn't easy to be in the right place. that is where being a ballhawk comes in.

am i calling martin a ballhawk? not yet, but he could be.

he very well could be. i know that of anyone we have had in years, he stands the biggest chance of being one.

wouldn't it be great if we got one shut down corner (munnerlynn) and one balhawking safety (martin) in this draft?

i feel some optimism creeping back in my brain.

Archived