• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would Trading Shaq to Seahawks Be An Option?

Soul Rebel

On 9/23/2020 at 2:43 AM, Peon Awesome said:

As far as his contact being untradeable, are you guys factoring in the fact that we are responsible for his entire signing bonus? Whichever team trades for Shaq essentially gets him at 4 years, $40 million, completely unguaranteed. Not a bargain but a reasonable price for a starting linebacker especially if you think you can get more out of him in your scheme with better players around him. Not sure it makes much sense for the Panthers since we probably can't expect more than a late round pick, would be stuck with about $13 million in dead cap spread out over this year and next, and be even thinner at possibly our weakest position. But no I don't think it's crazy to think a team in contention would entertain a 5th or 6th at least, knowing it'll be at the end of the round to boot.

My conclusion exactly actually reading the contract, something 95% of the posters didn't but that did not stop them from "knowing" his contract is untradable. 

And some even after you posted this. 

The world we live in I guess... 

8 minutes ago, Thorrez said:

My conclusion exactly actually reading the contract, something 95% of the posters didn't but that did not stop them from "knowing" his contract is untradable. 

And some even after you posted this. 

The world we live in I guess... 

You do realize that his base salary is still:

2021: $10.18 mil

2022: $11.2 mil

2023: $12.36 mil

There are not going to be many teams lining up to pay that and certainly not many willing to trade significant draft capital to do it. Couple this with the fact that the salary cap is projected to retract next season. So, where in your mind does that all of a sudden make underperforming and overpaid players valuable on the trade market? That makes no sense whatsoever. 

16 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

You do realize that his base salary is still:

2021: $10.18 mil

2022: $11.2 mil

2023: $12.36 mil

There are not going to be many teams lining up to pay that and certainly not many willing to trade significant draft capital to do it. Couple this with the fact that the salary cap is projected to retract next season. So, where in your mind does that all of a sudden make underperforming and overpaid players valuable on the trade market? That makes no sense whatsoever. 

Yes, but non of it is guaranteed. 

At this point a trade is about $3M for the rest of 2020 for an above average lb. Then you cut him with no dead cap. Worthy of a high or even mid round pick? Of course not. But tradable? Very. 

27 minutes ago, Thorrez said:

Yes, but non of it is guaranteed. 

At this point a trade is about $3M for the rest of 2020 for an above average lb. Then you cut him with no dead cap. Worthy of a high or even mid round pick? Of course not. But tradable? Very. 

I would question him being an above average LB but you are correct. It isn't guaranteed but, as you say, it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to trade much in draft capital for a one year rental. I will back off the "untradeable" statement and say that it is possible that he could be traded but the scenarios involved are very unlikely. 

Archived