• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dear Mr. Zod... What is it about you and Davidson?

Cyberjag

At some point yesterday Billick said that Davidson and Fox are of the same mind when it comes to playing that conservative football so many of us despise.

He also says bugaboo a bunch.

I would not put much stock into it.

But what Davidson does have some control over I like. The OL is the best it has been since 2003 under his guidance, not surprising for an ex lineman himself. The running backs look great, tight ends have developed nicely. Hard to judge the WR development, as Davidson has had Delhomme all season.

Don't you think a lot of Davis's success has to do with the level of talent he has to work. After all, the OL has a 1st round LG, a 1st round RG and a 2nd round center who some thought should have gone in the first as well. Plus, he also has two first round running backs. So four out of seven positions are first rounders and one of the remaining three is a second rounder. Sorry, but even I could look good with that much talent.

Don't you think a lot of Davis's success has to do with the level of talent he has to work. After all, the OL has a 1st round LG, a 1st round RG and a 2nd round center who some thought should have gone in the first as well. Plus, he also has two first round running backs. So four out of seven positions are first rounders and one of the remaining three is a second rounder. Sorry, but even I could look good with that much talent.

So blame Davidson for Jake sucking and say the rest of the offense's success is because of pure talent?

Sorry, not buying it.

Its one of those situations a lot like starting Matt Moore (giving Davidson the reins). In both you don't know what will happen if they get there shot but I do know what will happen if Fox continues. Jake will continue to start our offense will continue to be conservative to cover up this fact and the whole staff will be gone when the new HC comes in (most likely). Might as well give him a shot as Fox lost his job yesterday (if it wasn't already lost) if he struggles we are in no worse shape then we are now on O.

And as far as all the talent I actually agree but look at the D how much they have (Pep, Brayton, Davis, Beason, CJ, Gamble, Marshall, and Harris 5 1st rounders and 1 of both a 2nd and 3rd) and they were horrible for much of last season. Most of that talent was here before Davidson and struggled. So how much was Davidson and how much was it having superman (Dwills new nickname) line up in the backfield.

Most of that talent was here before Davidson and struggled. So how much was Davidson and how much was it having superman (Dwills new nickname) line up in the backfield.

Davidson's first year was terrible as well. You can blame that on Jake being out but if you do that, than you will have to credit his success last year with Jake's return.

Last year - Davidson's first successful year - he had all the first rounders. And you are wrong about the talent being here before Davidson. Henning never had Otah, Kalil or Stewart.

So blame Davidson for Jake sucking and say the rest of the offense's success is because of pure talent?

Sorry, not buying it.

I never said anything about Jake. I just pointed out the talent Davidson has to work with in response to your comment about the OL never being better.

Davidson's first year was terrible as well. You can blame that on Jake being out but if you do that, than you will have to credit his success last year with Jake's return.

Last year - Davidson's first successful year - he had all the first rounders. And you are wrong about the talent being here before Davidson. Henning never had Otah, Kalil or Stewart.

Davidson also didn't have Moose that 1st year which Henning had almost his entire career. That might not mean much to you but the 2nd best Run Blocking WR in the NFL can help your running game out a ton. Look at the Colts would you discount the things that Manning has done in his career based solely becuase of all the 1st rounders the Colts have invested in that O. My personally I give credit were it is due and Manning is one of the best in our leagues history. Football is a team sport of course you have to have good talent to succeed.

Davidson has done well working within the confines of a bad starting QB and a framework of ultra conservative play calling dictated by the head coach.

You guys are making a huge mistake in assuming Davidson has the option to change things up at halftime any way that he wants. Fox's nose is in to everything. He lays the groundwork, the big picture. The coordinators must work within that. This is why many quit this past offseason. They grew tired of him interfering and then they would catch the blame for poor performances.

But what Davidson does have some control over I like. The OL is the best it has been since 2003 under his guidance, not surprising for an ex lineman himself. The running backs look great, tight ends have developed nicely. Hard to judge the WR development, as Davidson has had Delhomme all season.

All in all, I'd say to really see what Davidson has done, you should first be able to recognize what is really holding the offense back (Delhomme and Fox). If you can't, then there is little we can discuss and agree on.

So I get the following from your statements, correct me if I'm wrong.

• He's done a good job on the offensive line. And he gets the credit over Dave Magazu for that.
  • He's done a good job with running backs, which means he must have been forced to name Foster as his starter by Fox.
  • He would probably call more innovative plays if Fox wasn't telling him what to do.
  • Fox makes his halftime adjustments for him.
  • He would air it out more if he had a quarterback who could do it.

Is that all fair?

And if it is, here's what I would follow up with, point by point.

• Moving Wharton to Guard has been done before, and he was good there. We got a legit tackle in the draft, and had already gotten Kalil. The talent there was not from Davidson, and I am not sold that it came together so well through his efforts. Especially given it's poor performance early this year. This isn't really a follow-up question, just a comment that I'm not sold on that point.
  • I'm curious about whether you think his running plays would be better than Henning's or any other established OC in this league, given the talent of Williams, Stewart, and the line.
  • Where has he called more innovative plays? Why do you think he would if he could?
  • Is this based on rumblings out of the locker room? I can believe that Fox would interfere with his game-planning, but playing around with offensive adjustments is a surprise to me.
  • I can believe this, he certainly tried to air it out enough with a quarterback who can't do it. What does that say about his judgment?

I know that seems argumentative, but I figure there's got to be more than just a hunch behind your position, and if so it's worth exploring. I don't like being a hater, but I haven't found a ton to like about the guy--ever.

Thanks.

Archived