• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

worst move hurney has ever made?

John Fox

This talk just pisses me off because it would be part of the fallout from trading last years first for Brown. Had Hurney not done that then nobody would even have to entertain the thought of trading Smith or Stewart. I am not for trading either of them to get back to round 1 for a QB. My thought is they take a QB in round 2 or 3, sign a free agent QB, and then possibly pick a QB in round 1 the following year. Another solution would be to complete the thought process of trading for Brown by unloading Peppers to get back into the first round.(assuming they could get a 1st round pick for Peppers)

The Brown pick was in hopes we moved Peppers. I think when it is all said and done. Brown will be a great addition to our defense.

It is sad we don't have a 1st rounder this season but the logic and decision for going after brown when we did was worth it.

Go Panthers

I do believe they shouldve tried harder for a backup qb, but I think they thought Moore was the answer for one year. And that why they didnt go for flacco/another rookie. Of course I could be wrong.

Delhomme's contract wasnt that bad considring they were going to owe him tons of money. I seriously doubt it was because they wanted him for years to come. Because of it we were allowed a little cap room that was needed.

Everte Brown wasnt bad considring he was considred a 1st round prospect. And with the Peppers up in the air, Brayton average and not fulling knowing what they had in Johnson, I dont think it was too bad of a call.

The Brown pick was in hopes we moved Peppers. I think when it is all said and done. Brown will be a great addition to our defense.

It is sad we don't have a 1st rounder this season but the logic and decision for going after brown when we did was worth it.

Go Panthers

Hurney has said the brown pick had nothing to do with peppers.

Go Panthers

Hurney has said the brown pick had nothing to do with peppers.

I think the Brown pick was a bad move because come draft time, Peppers still hadn't signed his franchise tender and we couldn't trade him and his agent certainly found no suitors.

I call BS on Hurney, the Pep offseason free agency was so poorly managed we had no idea if we'd have Peppers on our roster this year.

Trading a future #1 for Brown a second rounder was a desperate move to win and cover your ass.

Hurney has made some desicions that in hind sight look bad. The Delhomme extension though was not one of them, Delhomme was going to count 10 mil against the cap anyways. Without giving Jake the extension we were going to be close to not even signing our Rookies. Also without the Jake extension, no way do we have the money to bring in Leonard and Tyler, possible cornerstones of the DL in the future. The Thomas signing would also have been tight. Was it wise to re-sign Jake, no. Was he against a rock and a hard place and had to do something, yeah. I can excuse it because nobody saw Jake being this bad. Maybe not great but not smash your face in a wall bad.

Pep getting the Tag was also a mistake but you can't hardly let 2 players in 2 years bitch thier way out of town. Should he have taken a little less than what he was probably offered, yeah. They thought the team was set and we didn't really have a need for a lot FA help so to them, at the time it didn't seem like a huge risk. A lot of this falls on Pep himself for not signing the damn thing and helping everyone out.

Trading the first for Brown is hard to defend. Other than that he may end up being a GREAT DE. Once again, Pep not signing his Tag kind of forced his hand. He had to do something just in case. Definitely wasn't ideal but it could work out in the end.

A lot of our problems all stem from Pep not signing the damn tag when he should have. The more I think about it the more pissed I get. Damn Carrey.

I think the Brown pick was a bad move because come draft time, Peppers still hadn't signed his franchise tender and we couldn't trade him and his agent certainly found no suitors.

I call BS on Hurney, the Pep offseason free agency was so poorly managed we had no idea if we'd have Peppers on our roster this year.

Trading a future #1 for Brown a second rounder was a desperate move to win and cover your ass.

How is that Hurneys fault? Peppers was the sole decider on how to end it. They already offered a tremdous contract before.

The fact that we didnt have Peppers, points more to the idea that Brown was needed. Because we had to have some depth, and future at the position, in case we didnt get Peppers back.

His blunders have been numerous, but the Jake contact extension was a terrible decision. I haven't come across one football fan who thought that was a good idea. In fact, most people I've talked to about it think it is laughable.

But considring we owed him 10 million and were furthered hampered by Gross and Peppers, It wasnt that bad a move, we needed cap . Its not like they did it so he the qb for years to come.

How is that Hurneys fault? Peppers was the sole decider on how to end it. They already offered a tremdous contract before.

The fact that we didnt have Peppers, points more to the idea that Brown was needed. Because we had to have some depth, and future at the position, in case we didnt get Peppers back.

The Peppers situation should have been put to bed one way or another long before the draft. The Franchise was in limbo the entire offseason.

You just can't defend trading what looks to be a top ten pick for the 43rd pick.

The Peppers situation should have been put to bed one way or another long before the draft. The Franchise was in limbo the entire offseason.

You just can't defend trading what looks to be a top ten pick for the 43rd pick.

But with the draft came a oppurtunity for a chance at a trade ( however likley it was). The only other way was to just drop him for nothing. Which was not an option, with Johnson, Brayton and taylor.

And at the time we had no idea, nor no reason to believe it was a top ten pick. That is pure hindsight.

But with the draft came a oppurtunity for a chance at a trade ( however likley it was). The only other way was to just drop him for nothing. Which was not an option, with Johnson, Brayton and taylor.

And at the time we had no idea, nor no reason to believe it was a top ten pick. That is pure hindsight.

We COULD NOT trade Peppers draft day, he had not signed his tender.

If we dropped him it wouldn't have been for nothing.

16.7 million dollars in cap space would have been freed up.

A lot can get done with that kind of cash. Ain't nothin' hindsight about that.

Okay looking at our team this year what holes do we have?

QB- Pretty big, unless Moore or Cantwell turn into something but my hopes aren't getting up for this one. The Delhomme resigning was a necessary evil, and he'll retire before the end of the contract. The only big screwup is not picking up Brees when he was a FA but a lot of GM's made that mistake too.

RB- We have an AMAZING backfield that Hurney put together with the exception of Hoover. The only questionable move was Stewart but I would have made the same pick all day long.

WR- Fairly big, we haven't done very well at all with the WR position since he became the GM, but Jarrett showed some promise this past weekend and so did Moore. I think they need to be given more of a chance on the field than anything.

TE- You have got to be pleased, we have 3 good TE's that were all drafted on the second day. Kudos.

OT- Both of our tackles are good and were picked up by Hurney, can't argue either one.

OG- Wharton, one of Hurney's picks, is very good but Vincent is clearly not the same player he was last year. Robinson may be the answer but we won't know yet.

C- The Hartwig pick up was less than ideal but Kalil has become a solid center who regressed a bit this year but that may be due to the declining skills of Vincent causing him to work much harder to maintain inside gaps on passing plays.

DE- We have loads of them and all brought in under Hurney. I refuse to comment on the Brown trade until a couple years from now because we have no idea how good of a player he is and at the time it seemed like we weren't giving up a high pick. Brayton has really turned around here and Johnson is coming into his own. Very nice.

DT- At the start of the season we were screwed but now we have a solid group of DT's and more importantly next year we will have a very good DL with all the returning players coming off IR.

LB- One of the best LB Corps in the league and it was put together entirely under the Hurney administration, Davis and Beason are amongst the best in the league at their respective positions. Can't really argue against Hurney here. However the Landon Johnson FA pickup was a bust, and his salary definitely didn't help us any this year.

CB- Gamble is a good corner and Munnerlyn has shown a lot of promise, both players coming from opposite ends of the draft. The one I have issues with is Marshall who seems to have issues with zone assignments and puts far too much pressure on his safeties.

S- Godfrey was a poor pick but Martin has been excellent in his two starts at FS and we all know about Harris. Both players brought in under Hurney as well.

K/P- Kasay we all know about and Baker who is one of the best at pinning teams inside the 20, was brought in by Hurney. Not only that but we got rid of the miscreant Sauerbrun and got a draft pick out of it as well. Lloyd was another interesting move that I'm not sure will work out in the long run but the justifications are there.

Archived