• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's talk about Darnold

Jaxel

20 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Darnold was drafted in 2018, and played under Todd Bowles his rookie season, where he looked like a rookie.  He was 31st in completion percentage that year (57.7), 23rd in yards, 24th in TD's, 24th in TD %, 2nd in INT's and 4th in INT%.

In 2019, Darnold spent his first year under Gase and *improved*.  This is the year he had mono, and he missed a grand total of three games.  Oh, and, he got "better" under Gase.  He made it up to 25th in completion percentage (at 61.9), 25th in yards, 24th in TD's, 19th in TD %, 9th in INT's and 27th in INT%.  Those numbers aren't good, but they show some marginal improvement.  So despite mono and Adam Gase, Darnold marginally improved this year.

This year has been heavy regression from Darnold, in all measurements.  And here's the real problem:  his decision making isn't getting better.  A guy who makes bad decisions isn't the DNA of what Brady / Rhule want in a QB.

Darnold has played actual NFL football and not shown that he can elevate himself or those around him.  Yes, his team is terrible.  Look, I think it's possible there's a player in Darnold.  But I have no actual evidence to support that.  All I can do is speculate that perhaps it's there.  Same as anyone else.  Thus, and in keeping with the thread topic, I wouldn't sacrifice anything of real value to get him here. 

I'll eat my crow on my comment. It doesn't necessarily change my opinion. I still Darnold is viable option that can succeed given good coaching.

Darnold plays well for a year you get the right to pay him $100 to $150 for 4-5 years.

Rookie plays well you get to pay him $11-$30m for the next 3-4 years.

Only way going with Darnold makes sense is that if you feel he has a substantially better chance of being successful and nothing he has done so far tells you that.

Archived