• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My silly dogs!

d-dave

I have two rescue dogs, Minerva is my Stafford Shire Terrier and Taylor is my Boxer-Beagle mix.  Both of my girls had a really hard life before they were rescued.  As you can see, they live a life of luxury.  Though don't tell them that, they often think they are neglected, never fed, and never loved!  Oh the life of a dog!

PXL_20210104_231744049.thumb.jpg.7fb6c45a40339acbdae94b658d83b6b0.jpgIMG_20200412_130305.thumb.jpg.bd13c09c18f43013b8866fb82f1dff82.jpgPXL_20201211_002959391.thumb.jpg.30b04d568ac12578337f347921bce3ea.jpgI

6 minutes ago, Ncpantherfan71 said:

A boxer beagle mix, what is her personality?  That should be a very active dog!  Does she have the different beagle barks?

She has several different barks!  The worst are the "someone is at the door" bark.  It's so shrill!

Generally, she's a pretty affectionate girl.  She's our princess dog, dainty, careful, super sweet.  When she gets the zoomies going, she's off like a shot.  She loves ball play and going on walks.  I wouldn't describe her as super active.  She's not destructive.  She's just super sweet.

Now she does have some SERIOUS anxiety.  In her previous life, she was a bait dog in a dog fighting situation.  Someone broke her teeth out so she couldn't fight back.  It happened really young.  She has a VERY strong flight reaction.  Like after we'd had her for a couple of months and put her in boarding where she had been with the rescue before.  We got a call that she climbed a 9' fence and ran into the woods!  Loud noises freak her out.  The constant firework on remotely festive holidays are hell for her.

That's all from her past life.  Can't blame her.  But when she came to us, she seemed to almost be in shock, and was quite distant for a year.  Then we adopted Minerva, a mommy dog.  She was a breeding dog for a dog fighting ring.  They kept her pregnant through a couple of litters so she has a strong maternal instinct.  She taught Taylor how to dog, and she treats her like her baby.  But it's really helping Taylor feel confident and safe, and she's relearning how to "dog."

We love her, and she's our little princess.  She claimed my wife, and we never turned back.

That sucks.  I never understood dog fighting for sport, or people fighting for that matter.  My first boxer mix, Scooby, just showed up in the yard one day.  House broken and great with the kids so he just kind of moved in.  I was active duty military and it wasn't too uncommon for people to drop off their pets in other areas when they moved.  He was a great dog, moved from NC to Utah, then back to NC when I retired, went on vacation to southern CA to visit inlaws, Traveled the distance extremely well.  I stopped and took him out 2 times a day.  I hope the 12 years he spent with us were good. When we had to put him down due to cancer it was very hard on me and the kids.  My youngest still has a picture of him up in her room and he has been gone 6 years now.

It's really special seeing the relationship between children and animals.  We had two cats with my son was young, and he still talks about them, keeps pictures of them.  

It sounds like your boxer mix had a pretty rockin' life =)

Archived