• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitt is Making Saint Style Moves

Troys99x4

58 minutes ago, t96 said:

That could definitely happen and it's not a bad question. The new contract would just be added on top of the money we're already paying him for this contract. The $5M signing bonus is spread out over this year and the void years. Here are the cap hits for each year for this deal:

(disclaimer; these are tiny bit off, don't feel like dealing with the decimals)

2021: roughly $2M (around $1M base salary and $1M from the signing bonus)

2022: roughly $1M from signing bonus PLUS up to $2M if he hits the sacks and/or pro bowl incentives

2023-2025: roughly $1M from signing bonus EACH year.

For discussion sake, let's say we signed him to an extension that was worth $40M over 4 years, with a $20M signing bonus and $5M base salaries each year and keep it simple at that with no roster or other bonuses -- each year's cap hit in this hypothetical deal is $10M. The total cap hits would be:

2022: $10M PLUS 1-3M depending on incentives from this contract

2023-2025: $10M PLUS $1M from this contract's signing bonus which is spread over the void years

Small thing (I had to look this up for my own clarity), but the $1m hit for 2023-2025 seasons does get accelerated into 2022 once the contract voids so the current situation is:

2021: ~$2m

2022: ~$4m (+$2m in incentives, potentially)

And like you laid out, a potential extension would change how that money is allocated. 

9 minutes ago, electricbluecats said:

Small thing (I had to look this up for my own clarity), but the $1m hit for 2023-2025 seasons does get accelerated into 2022 once the contract voids so the current situation is:

2021: ~$2m

2022: ~$4m (+$2m in incentives, potentially)

And like you laid out, a potential extension would change how that money is allocated. 

https://overthecap.com/player/haason-reddick/5597/

I was looking at this and when I clicked "extension" it looks like the signing bonus cap hit would be charged for each of those void years rather than getting accelerated into 2022 if we extend him, though I've seen conflicting sources on this and am not 100% sure which is correct. Either way whether it's piled up in 2022 or spread out, any new money from an extension would just be added to how this current contract hits our cap. If we let him go, you're right that $4M of the signing bonus would all hit in 2022.