• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some of you need to get away from football for a few days

Gipetto

17 minutes ago, Donald LaFell said:

The issue hasn’t been philosophy, I think we’ve been very aggressive. They genuinely thought they could sign o linemen with good measureables and coach them up. No matter what. They gambled and lost big time. 

I think they took who they could and who fit their system.  Not every olineman is good for a zone blocking system.  Or put another way, a great olineman can look bad in the wrong system.  I think "gambled" is a shitty way of putting it.  Every player, every draft pick is a gamble.  Nothing is guaranteed in football.  The connotation in that sentence is odd because yes we gambled (every player is a gamble), yes we lost, no we are not on the hook for huge draft picks and dead cap.  I'm not sure how these FA signings were big time losses?  They weren't.  We missed on two relatively cheap FA's in year 2 of a rebuild...

Draft wise, I'm pretty sure the goal was maximize picks and get BPA because we still needed players all over the roster.  Olinemen did not line up this year with that strategy except for Christianson who specifically traded back up for.  I think if more olinmen graded out where we were drafting, we would have picked more olinemen, but those stars did not align.  I imagine we will have a more targeted oline draft next year because we have much less holes compared to the last two years and most of those holes is on the oline. 

As for being aggressive vs running the ball.  Darnold was playing like poo.  Maybe the coaches could see Sam was a turnover waiting to happen and were purposely taking the ball out of his hands?

Edited by Luciu5
  • Pie 1