• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If anyone in a rural area needs decent internet and don't have many, if any options, I advise looking into Starlink

jayboogieman

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They've had my $100 deposit for nearly a year now. It was supposed to be available in my area by late summer/early fall of last year then got bumped to spring of this year.

They had bumped us from last sprint to last summer to last fall and finally to this spring. We've had it for a few days now and it works great. I had to move the dish a little further back on the backside of the roof to get a better line of sight to the north though. It was dropping out a little due to a partial obstruction(100 plus year old pecan tree) before I moved it. I'm happy with it though. We can stream and work at the same time now. Downloads speeds are consistently over 150 Mbps with upload usually between 5-10 Mbps. Though they will sometimes hit 20 Mbps or better.

8 hours ago, Inimicus said:

Dont know how Im going to get along without gigabit service but we are looking at property back east that Starlink may be my only option.

Where I live 20Mbps DSL that drops every time it rans for days after is as fast as it gets. And the only reason I got that is because I knew one of Centurylink's supervisors and they got the local supervisor to agree to move my line to another dslam that supports the 20Mbps service.

On 2/21/2022 at 10:23 PM, jayboogieman said:

Where I live 20Mbps DSL that drops every time it rans for days after is as fast as it gets. And the only reason I got that is because I knew one of Centurylink's supervisors and they got the local supervisor to agree to move my line to another dslam that supports the 20Mbps service.

That's been a pretty decent synopsis of my internet experience both in CO and NC. I like to live out in the sticks but that's the price you pay for living out in the sticks. I can only see one other house from my house and I can only see it during the winter.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's been a pretty decent synopsis of my internet experience both in CO and NC. I like to live out in the sticks but that's the price you pay for living out in the sticks. I can only see one other house from my house and I can only see it during the winter.

I would prefer living like that. I live on a farm that has seen a lot of the surrounding land get sold off as lots that have been built on. Too many people for my tastes. Plus, the state took part of the land to build a highway on that is now less than 200 ft from my house.

You might get your Starlink order filled soon. My sister had been on the list for about a year too and they just got their kit yesterday.

34 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I would prefer living like that. I live on a farm that has seen a lot of the surrounding land get sold off as lots that have been built on. Too many people for my tastes. Plus, the state took part of the land to build a highway on that is now less than 200 ft from my house.

You might get your Starlink order filled soon. My sister had been on the list for about a year too and they just got their kit yesterday.

I'm surrounded by a farm that just sold to older folks who plan to keep it as a hobby farm. Next to them is a guy trying to sell his farm but whatever happens there there's a ridge between me and that. I think he's shopping for a horse idiot anyway. He's asking $1.4M. if he gets anywhere near that, my place is probably gonna hit the market too. To my rear is miles and miles of mountainous wooded terrain stretching to South Mountains State Park that isn't well suited for much of any type of development. I should be pretty well protected for the foreseeable future.

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm surrounded by a farm that just sold to older folks who plan to keep it as a hobby farm. Next to them is a guy trying to sell his farm but whatever happens there there's a ridge between me and that. I think he's shopping for a horse idiot anyway. He's asking $1.4M. if he gets anywhere near that, my place is probably gonna hit the market too. To my rear is miles and miles of mountainous wooded terrain stretching to South Mountains State Park that isn't well suited for much of any type of development. I should be pretty well protected for the foreseeable future.

Sounds like a good place to live for the most part. As for your neighbor. 1.4M? It better be a lot of land, have a huge house on it, a combination of both, or something else that makes it worth that much besides some views.

16 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Sounds like a good place to live for the most part. As for your neighbor. 1.4M? It better be a lot of land, have a huge house on it, a combination of both, or something else that makes it worth that much besides some views.

I think his is about 60 acres with a couple of nice barns, etc. I'm sitting on 11 but a much newer significantly nicer house. 

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think his is about 60 acres with a couple of nice barns, etc. I'm sitting on 11 but a much newer significantly nicer house. 

Is most of it cleared land or being used as a Christmas tree farm? If not, he's wanting way too much. That said there is that old saying about fools and their money.