• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Fox's best interest

carolinanimal

It's in John Fox's best interest to coach the entire '10 season the way he does the last 3-4 games in years when he has been eliminated, or damn near, from the playoffs. Which is why I think Fox coming back with no extension will be the best thing for him and the Panthers. It's also why I believe he won't continue his blind loyalty to Jake. This is his "contract" year.

every coach should think that way (except the rams). fox probably thought that way this year, but looked what happened. bad personnel decisions and other factors made this a bad season.

SH*t happens for sure and people like you and I think that way. Highly successful people often don't. Look at him, whether he stays or leaves he is highly thought of and no matter what he will have his choice of teams in 2011. If there is a lockout he has made something like 35 million since 2002. I really doubt he is counting his pennies or worried about paying the bills.

Just found an interesting article.. it looks like Fox may have already been offered a contract extension, but he hasn't accepted. It is an anonymous NFC team.. could be the Panthers..

--------------------------------------

"...Owners are also asking coaches to take a pay cut if there’s an NFL lockout or strike. Language for work-stoppage-related salary reductions started creeping into coaches’ contracts about two years ago. Currently, management is asking coaches to accept salary reductions of 50-75 percent of their 2011 salaries, depending on the length of a possible work stoppage.

I know of one team that has asked its coaches to take a salary reduction at their arbitrary discretion with no definitive start date. This NFC team could reduce salaries to whatever level it chooses, or eliminate them altogether, as early as March in anticipation of a lockout or strike. Once again, this doesn’t sit well with coaches and has them quietly huddling to discuss their options because many have already been offered extensions but have yet to sign. Yes, this is going on right now during the season and is a distraction for some staffs.

Many NFL coaches I’ve spoken to the past few months have voiced frustration and concern about their futures."

It's in John Fox's best interest to coach the entire '10 season the way he does the last 3-4 games in years when he has been eliminated, or damn near, from the playoffs. Which is why I think Fox coming back with no extension will be the best thing for him and the Panthers. It's also why I believe he won't continue his blind loyalty to Jake. This is his "contract" year.

only issue i have with that is you just dont start coaching better because your in a contract year. the same guy that coach this and last year , if he returns will be the same guy coaching in the upcoming season.

another question is what record would keep him here as a coach?

if you look at the john fox contract situation, i think it is in his best interest to leave this year. look at it this way

if john fox stays next year and does just OK or we are one and done in the playoffs. , he probably wont be extended. with the possibility of a lockout in 2011, he may be off for a year w/o pay and no possible contract for the future. no idea where he could go.

or he could take us to the superbowl and get a major extension. But even that is a 1/32 chance. not good odds.

as we all know fox is a conservative coach. he doesnt take a lot of risks. so why would he risk it all on year not knowing what will happen, when he could look for a long term deal somewhere else and have security for him and more importantly his family for the next couple of years?

Thats why i think it is in his best interest to look for a deal with maybe cleveland or buffalo if possible.

The man is going to make over 6 million next year. If he is out of work in 2011 maybe he can take a well deserved vacation.

Archived