• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Adrian Peterson is NOT better than Deangelo or J-Stew

SOJA

Peterson can be great at times, but his turnovers kill you. And tonight he wasn't alone.

Any one of those turnovers either doesn't happen or gets recovered and the Vikings probably win.

Favre's ego really got the better of him on that game ender. He should have just run it.

Peterson doesn't have the leauge's best backup. Williams and stewart swap out every series, so they have an advantage there. They're fresher and less likely to get injured. The more touches you get the harder it is to keep up a high YPC and the energy to make the same plays you do when you're fresh.

You have no idea how they would fair the whole season as a feature back. The evidence says they would be pretty good, but you can't say a player's better based on hypothetical situations.

Producing more and having better physical traits doesn't just magically make you better than the other guy. However, it's entirely rational, and fair for the guy that does to be heralded and celebrated as the best. It's just plain wrong to give credit based on ifs and buts.

No matter how likely it is, you can't give credit based on the unkown. It's not fair to the players who have actually done it. That's just how it works.

It's not like the scouts listen to ESPN, buy one of those scouting magazines

in the offseason and I'm sure Willams/Stewart will be the cream of the crop.

But you don't deserve to go to the probowl, be an All Pro, or a HoFer just because of how good you COULD be or what you WOULD do under certain circumstances.

Good post.

People actually buying the scouting magazines and such?

I think I can say, with perfect objectivity, given the choice I'd take Williams.

Williams can do what Peterson does, and do it without the fumbles. That's a pretty clear cut choice.

Not buying the backup argument either. Chester Taylor is no slouch and has seen plenty of duty (especially this season).

I think I can say, with perfect objectivity, given the choice I'd take Williams.

Williams can do what Peterson does, and do it without the fumbles. That's a pretty clear cut choice.

Not buying the backup argument either. Chester Taylor is no slouch and has seen plenty of duty (especially this season).

I know I said Stewart is the best backup in the leauge but what I was trying to convey is the fact that they split carries more evenly than most tandems.

But talent does matter a little. Stewart scares defenses more than Taylor. Stewart and Williams are interchangable, going from AP to Taylor there's a drop off.

When AP arrived Chester Taylor saw a jump in his YPC and he had more TDs. The year that they both shared carries in 2007 is the best total rushing yardage they have put up since AP has been there. And this year taylor actually saw less carries than any year AP has been there. The more Taylor participates the higher AP's YPC gets.

Look at how reggie bush blossomed once he didn't have to carry the load. The saints also had much more rushing yards once they got more talent into the backfield and shared carries.

Somehow even we beat last years rushing totals when stewart/williams shared carries evenly. We also brought in more talent in the backups which helped too.

When you have good talented backfield sharing carries it is much easier than just having one blue chip guy do all the work.

I'm sure there are exceptions and I'm pretty tired so I don't know how sound my case is. There are plenty of other factors that tie into this. Every season is different so I don't really like using stats but it kind of illustrates what I'm trying to say. But here's my summary.

You can't assume a linear curve in projecting a RB's stats based on his YPC or touchdowns when he's sharing carries or doesn't play a full season. When you share carries you are better utlized so you get a better YPC average and TDs on less carries. Also the talented guy keeps you fresh by absorbing the hits you would be taking.

From what I've seen the totals for team rushing yardage goes up when you have talent in the backfield and share carries.

Bush blossomed because he isn't a running back, he's a wide receiver.

It's obvious that if a running back shares the load he's going to play better. It's Childress' fault he doesn't give Taylor the ball more often, he's a very capable running back and with the way Peterson runs he's drastically shortening his career. Chris Johnson is going to shorten his career too because he refuses to share the load with White.

Peterson doesn't have the leauge's best backup. Williams and stewart swap out every series, so they have an advantage there. They're fresher and less likely to get injured. The more touches you get the harder it is to keep up a high YPC and the energy to make the same plays you do when you're fresh.

You have no idea how they would fair the whole season as a feature back. The evidence says they would be pretty good, but you can't say a player's better based on hypothetical situations.

Producing more and having better physical traits doesn't just magically make you better than the other guy. However, it's entirely rational, and fair for the guy that does to be heralded and celebrated as the best. It's just plain wrong to give credit based on ifs and buts.

No matter how likely it is, you can't give credit based on the unkown. It's not fair to the players who have actually done it. That's just how it works.

It's not like the scouts listen to ESPN, buy one of those scouting magazines

in the offseason and I'm sure Willams/Stewart will be the cream of the crop.

But you don't deserve to go to the probowl, be an All Pro, or a HoFer just because of how good you COULD be or what you WOULD do under certain circumstances.

Okay, AP might not have a back up like Jstew and Dwill, But what they do have is a QB

Everyone who plays carolina are not at all concernd about the pass game ( this year anyway ) Deangelo and Jonathan had to run into 9 and even 10 man boxes, and still put up better YPC then AP.

Not to mention Deangelo was hurt at the end of the year and Jonathan took the whole load on like AP does, and brought his YPC up from 4.6 to 5.1 or something, all in all AP is no where near the skill level double trouble are :o.

And anytime AP breaks a big run it's either pass the next play or hes on the sideline catching his breathe so i understand the whole fresh legs thing but in reality it's not like AP is gasping for air when hes in the huddle.

Archived