• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Playmaker vs BPA

Bear Hands

13 hours ago, SCO96 said:

As CSX pointed out we don't have a first round pick.

I'm definitely on board with taking OL or WR @ #33. I do disagree with your Take on TE. I can see getting upset if we took a JAG. If we could find a Kelce, LaPorta,  or Kittles type talent then I could understand why the FO would consider it.

A solid TE acts a security blanket on 3rd an short.

Our QB doesn't have the strongest arm. A solid TE can work the intermediate area of the field where Bryce is more effective.

A solid TE is usually a scoring threat in the redzone.

A solid TE usually helps the running game.

If he could find a TE who could catch 70-75 passes, score 6-8 TDs, and go over 800 yards for the season he would be well worth the 33rd pick of the draft. 

To answer the thread question, it needs to be BPA for every pick in this draft and the next two. We are so far away talent wise it isn’t funny. We were a couple plays away from the first 0-17 team.

Also, as a reply here, I don’t understand why TE keeps coming up. If we go TE at 33 or any pick, we are reaching or likely reaching. This is an awful TE draft class compared to last year. This is a deep WR class. If we go TE, it most likely means Fitterer hasn’t left the building. Unless we draft TE2 on day 3, we didn’t go BPA.

17 hours ago, Johnstonny said:

Given our historical propensity to draft shtty WR's, I hope they don't reach for one at 33 and think hes going to be our playmaker...BPA all the way... too many holes to fill...start building the right way... its painful and not glamorous...Dipper has to understand we're  realistically 2-3 years out for a solid team and these BS band aids we have been applying  are only digging deep holes. 2024 we will find out who Bryce is and it will be another 5-12 season at best... Givin our current situation its hard to be a panther fan in the next 2 years...reality.

The one bonus is that this draft is deep at WR so if we take the right one (not TMJ or Mingo), we would be drafting a WR at 33 who in other years would be taken 15-20. That’s the point of BPA and drafting to the strengths of the draft. Over time, you should have an above average talented roster. We on the other hand have been living in reach city with picks at weaker positions since 2018 and we witnessed where that has gotten us.

Other than WR, the only positions I can justify at #33 are Edge, CB or DL.  OL possibly, but a second round rookie isn't beating out any of our starters IF HEALTHY. We can ill afford to have pick #33 sitting on the bench even in a rotational situation.

28 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The problem being it's a super weak TE class.  I would normally be on board with this.  LaPorta has lived up to the billing where he was drafted, but Kelce an Kittle were late round gems.  Kinda like saying we are going to find our starting QB in the 6th or 7th round because Brady and Purdy are evidence it can be done.  We are going to have to find a TE in FA or hope a day 3 guy can turn into Kelce or Kittle lite.  Absolutely zero reason to draft a TE in the second or third round due to the positional weakness this draft cycle.

Kittle is a great example. He went in the 5th round but he was in a deep TE class like last year. Last year we should have taken a swing at a TE, not Hurst. Kittle went late but that year had 5 TEs in the first 45 picks. This draft is not like that. Even Kelce’s draft was deeper than this year. Ertz and Eifert went before Kelce and Reed went same round. If it weren’t for injuries, that would have been a solid TE draft. Eifert and Reed had talent but missed tons of games.

11 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Other than WR, the only positions I can justify at #33 are Edge, CB or DL.  OL possibly, but a second round rookie isn't beating out any of our starters IF HEALTHY. We can ill afford to have pick #33 sitting on the bench even in a rotational situation.

If we take the top IOL at 33, he damn well better beat someone out. That Powers guy from Oregon would be a great pick at 33. Our OL is not that talented. We had some great rushing games last year and that really made it seem like we solved out OL issues but how many teams would be knocking down our door to get Iky, BC, Bozeman and Corbett?

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

If we take the top IOL at 33, he damn well better beat someone out. That Powers guy from Oregon would be a great pick at 33. Our OL is not that talented. We had some great rushing games last year and that really made it seem like we solved out OL issues but how many teams would be knocking down our door to get Iky, BC, Bozeman and Corbett?

Icky had a down year after an impressive rookie campaign, but he's not going anywhere.  Heck, the entire OL had a down year. Moton is entrenched.  All three IOL are under contract and outside of BC, are owed a nice bit of money.  I don't doubt we draft an O-lineman, I just don't see it at #33.  Not completely out of the question, but unlikely with the other needs that will be sitting there and without the need to reach.

7 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Icky had a down year after an impressive rookie campaign, but he's not going anywhere.  Heck, the entire OL had a down year. Moton is entrenched.  All three IOL are under contract and outside of BC, are owed a nice bit of money.  I don't doubt we draft an O-lineman, I just don't see it at #33.  Not completely out of the question, but unlikely with the other needs that will be sitting there and without the need to reach.

Some good players will slip so we won’t know until the 1st round is done, but I do agree that I don’t see that marquee OL dropping. I just think when people look at potential picks at 33, 65 and 101 and talk about OL and depth, that worries me. We should be drafting BPA and legitimately be going for starters. Yes, they don’t all work out but we’ve got no position that can’t be upgraded. This is a deep OT draft and if one of the really top guys is there and BPA, I would be hard pressed to pass and move Iky inside.

We are just legit bad right now and we need upgrades at almost every position.

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Also, BC and Corbett are signed through 2024 and Bozeman is easily released after 2024 with only a $1.6M dead cap. None of them have shown the health or talent level to want to sign them long term. Again, we are in bad shape talent wise.

13 hours ago, ColumbusCounty said:

Canales being here brings a new change to an old program. His scheme alone should improve the offense. But honestly we could take a player at almost any position except safety with the holes we have. 

The most important would be a lineman imo. Canales will drill that release by 2.7 second theory into Bryce's head like he did Baker. The line has to be able to hold for those 3 seconds though. Also....an OL pick instantly improves every offensive position. 

If we address need in FA somehow, then BPA is the plan. Having the first pick in the 2nd round should get us alot of offers. Expect the trade down. 

I am very concerned about the A gaps and not as concerned about Ickey as everyone else is.  I think it is possible that BC and Ickey flip positions--if they do and it works out, then you have Bozeman and Corbett--can we upgrade that by next year?  I do not see it happening in the draft beyond pick #33.  As for depth, we have Mays, Zavala, and could use a G/C for depth.  ....  I think we trade back too, but if a first round talent falls to us, that could be when BPA kicks in and we can't afford not to take him.  I see that happening at WR or OL, so we are in a good spot.

1 minute ago, WhoKnows said:

Also, BC and Corbett are signed through 2024 and Bozeman is easily released after 2024 with only a $1.6M dead cap. None of them have shown the health or talent level to want to sign them long term. Again, we are in bad shape talent wise.

I got all of that, but they are under contract for THIS year.  You stated you didn't want depth and that's what would be drafted at #33 unless someone falls. I'm not about taking unnecessary dead cap hits either.  So let this season play out, draft a guy in maybe the 3rd or 4th round for the OL, and go from there. 

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I got all of that, but they are under contract for THIS year.  You stated you didn't want depth and that's what would be drafted at #33 unless someone falls. I'm not about taking unnecessary dead cap hits either.  So let this season play out, draft a guy in maybe the 3rd or 4th round for the OL, and go from there. 

If we focus on one need, such as oline, sure, we could use an upgrade, but I do not see that happening except at G or C, and we are decent there right now.  However, and this is why you and I are on the same page, you have to look at the big picture.  Realistically, with picks at 33 and 65, we are lucky if we upgrade one position.  With, in my view, multiple needs at WR and a draft that is as deep at WR as I have ever seen, sitting at 33 is likely that we take a WR if he falls--yes, 33 is a prime trade down spot if that does not happen. 

If we get an upgrade player at 65 and 33, we won the draft.   But finding rookies to replace established starters on the OL in the draft (or even free agency) is probably not a wise investment this year.  Do we need 3 players?  I think we grab a developmental OL late, but they really drop off after the top 100 players are gone. That would be nice, but I also think we could develop Mays and Zavala, as bad as they seemed at times.  I am totally down on Campen and did not see growth from any OL during his time here.  Nada.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

If we pick a C/G at 33, they will either be a starter or we again fuged up a pick. If we make a good C/G pick at 33, that player will be the best IOL we have on the team.

I’ll even go a step further and say that if we make a good pick at 65 on an IOL, I would expect him to start as well.

BC, Corbett and Bozeman are not that talented, period. A C/G picked at 33 or 65 that is an actual “good pick” is more talented. I don’t have faith in our picking right now as we picked TMJ over Humphrey and a long snapper over Tre Smith and Mingo over Dell, etc.