• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Perhaps it's coincidental, but the OL falls in line with how I've suspected it should be built

TD alt

I said years ago that regarding the O-line, what I would do is focus on free agency and acquire established talent. I've always felt that this will bring about more consistent and desirous results. Now of course if you can draft a quality lineman where you can, it's always advantageous due to fiscal reasons, but if you want to stop spinning wheels with the protection of what is supposedly the most important position in team sports, then you're going to have to budget for it to varying degrees. But, in my mind, it needs to be a high priority and you should be willing to pay for it because it's so integral to the offense, and you really can't fake even a satisfactory offensive line.

It may have been coincidental, but I'll take it. I want to see what happens when most of your starting O-line consists of free agent acquisitions, decidedly well-paid, as opposed to homegrown draftees.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, TD alt said:

I said years ago that regarding the O-line, what I would do is focus on free agency and acquire established talent. I've always felt that this will bring about more consistent and desirous results. Now of course if you can draft a quality lineman where you can, it's always advantageous due to fiscal reasons, but if you want to stop spinning wheels with the protection of what is supposedly the most important position in team sports, then you're going to have to budget for it to varying degrees. But, in my mind, it needs to be a high priority and you should be willing to pay for it because it's so integral to the offense, and you really can't fake even a satisfactory offensive line.

It may have been coincidental, but I'll take it. I want to see what happens when most of your starting O-line consists of free agent acquisitions, decidedly well-paid, as opposed to homegrown draftees.

The OL is the most important unit on the team.  Full Stop.  They do not depend on the QB like the QB depends on them.  Without the OL, the punter stays busy, the Defense stays tired, the RBs stay injured,  The WRs get open too late, and the QB busts. 

Having said that, we need a plan to keep them stocked and not have to fill Guard positions that average $35m (together) per season in free agency.  We need to build through the draft so that we have 2 players on first contracts starting on the OL at any given time.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The OL is the most important unit on the team.  Full Stop.  They do not depend on the QB like the QB depends on them.  Without the OL, the punter stays busy, the Defense stays tired, the RBs stay injured,  The WRs get open too late, and the QB busts. 

Having said that, we need a plan to keep them stocked and not have to fill Guard positions that average $35m (together) per season in free agency.  We need to build through the draft so that we have 2 players on first contracts starting on the OL at any given time.

I’m with you. We have to stock through the draft. Look at 2021. Many in here (including me) wanted us to draft a ton of OL because Hurney had damn near ignored it and the OL was now poo. We took BC and the Deonte, who was dreadful at the Senior Bowl (worst OL). Many in here wanted Sewell or Slater if Sewell was gone and also a C like Humphrey in the 2nd and I know I pounded the table for Tre Smith, especially when he was still there in the 6th. KC has two back to back SB wins in part due to that great OL draft getting 2 long term starters for a 2nd and 6th.

I think not getting a C in this draft was probably my biggest issue, especially the ones still available on day 3.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

I’m with you. We have to stock through the draft. Look at 2021. Many in here (including me) wanted us to draft a ton of OL because Hurney had damn near ignored it and the OL was now poo. We took BC and the Deonte, who was dreadful at the Senior Bowl (worst OL). Many in here wanted Sewell or Slater if Sewell was gone and also a C like Humphrey in the 2nd and I know I pounded the table for Tre Smith, especially when he was still there in the 6th. KC has two back to back SB wins in part due to that great OL draft getting 2 long term starters for a 2nd and 6th.

I think not getting a C in this draft was probably my biggest issue, especially the ones still available on day 3.

I can live with them not choosing a center, particularly on day 3 because if AC can't at least be average, then the coaches have some real problems with evaluations. 

I wanted Sewell, but would've taken Slater as a consolation as well. When they stand out like they did in college, that just screams quality and consistency. But for Horn being injured all the time, I think that I would've been wrong. It's arguable, and Horn is injured all the time. For me, the bigger question was which free agent tackles (if any) were available that offseason. If I were managing, I'd try to keep some reserve cap, an allotment if you will, specifically for the O-line. It's that important to me. 

• Pie 1

If Morgan thought he had someone with NFL experience still under contract who has been preparing and practicing to play center as he plays guard right beside him, and he knows that BC and Cade Mays (Who was quoted during an interview: "I feel like I know the playbook better. I've been playing the majority (at) right guard and center, so I feel comfortable at those spots." ) While not ideal, I am guessing that they had to consider DL, CB, WR, LB, TE, and RB bigger needs.  I get it.  So in the draft, we probably are going to get the most bang for our buck by drafting WR, RB, DL, TE, LB x 2, and CB.