• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Potential logo and name.

PantherBrew

Total Votes: 6991

So, 78% of the people who dislike the Bobcats name and took the time to vote on an internet poll=78% of the total fanbase?

I'll give you credit for backing up the argument and I'm not opposed to the idea, I just don't see it as necessary. Plus, the Bobcats name and logo/color scheme has grown on me over the years.

Total Votes: 6991

So, 78% of the people who dislike the Bobcats name and took the time to vote on an internet poll=78% of the total fanbase?

I'll give you credit for backing up the argument and I'm not opposed to the idea, I just don't see it as necessary. Plus, the Bobcats name and logo/color scheme has grown on me over the years.

Well, it was the closest thing to a sample that there is.

Whether or not it is 80% of the fanbase, I am not sure. But I believe the poll has some reliablility and validity.

But the poll didnt ask if the people liked the name "Bobcats", the poll asked if the team should change the name. Small difference I know, but just wanted to clean it up.

Nah, a little bit bigger sample.

The almost 7000 people who voted on the online poll on charlotte observer.com

remember that most of the people who voted on the observer's website don't like the name either because they hate bob johnson or hate nba. this article points out the FACT that bobcats may have appealed to bob on a certain level but the name of the team came from a process that the nba and bobcats spent time on. flight failed because of the negative perception of the war in iraq and the fallout from sep. 11th. for a time you couldn't pay people to ride on a airplane and just about all of them either went broke or went bankrupt.if we were having this conversation today about naming a team, most would agree that flight makes the most sense and would have won out. IF YOU WON'T SUPPORT THE TEAM BECAUSE OF A SIMPLE THING AS NICKNAME THEN WE REALLY DON'T WANT OR NEED YOU!

remember that most of the people who voted on the observer's website don't like the name either because they hate bob johnson or hate nba. this article points out the FACT that bobcats may have appealed to bob on a certain level but the name of the team came from a process that the nba and bobcats spent time on. flight failed because of the negative perception of the war in iraq and the fallout from sep. 11th. for a time you couldn't pay people to ride on a airplane and just about all of them either went broke or went bankrupt.if we were having this conversation today about naming a team, most would agree that flight makes the most sense and would have won out. IF YOU WON'T SUPPORT THE TEAM BECAUSE OF A SIMPLE THING AS NICKNAME THEN WE REALLY DON'T WANT OR NEED YOU!

:shocked: Drama Queen.

I didnt say I didnt support the team because of the nickname, I think it is pretty obvious that if I didnt support the team then I wouldn't spend my time on this message board. Also, I wouldn't be wasting my time talking about changing the team name, if i didnt think it would garner more support from the fanbase and potential fanbase. Most of the time, More Support=more people care= more $=better team. Repeat.

I don't get the desire to change the name and logo. Has any pro sports team ever changed name/logo that didn't involve moving to a new city?

I know Jordan said he was open to the idea but does anyone really think he wants to change it? He couldn't have said no, it would have created a firestorm of controversy.

Washington did it 10 years ago or so, went from Bullets to Wizards.

Well i wonder why a NBA franchise wanted to change their name from BULLETS. That is different. That was obviously a change because of the negative connotation of those deadly things that come out of GUNS. Oh and the fact DC was a leader in murder per capita. SO i don't get why everyone can not just get behind our playoff bound team and stop trying to change nicknames and uni's. I like the orange and blue. I like the feline name it fits with the Panther's. I don't care to change nothing.

:shocked: Drama Queen.

I didnt say I didnt support the team because of the nickname, I think it is pretty obvious that if I didnt support the team then I wouldn't spend my time on this message board. Also, I wouldn't be wasting my time talking about changing the team name, if i didnt think it would garner more support from the fanbase and potential fanbase. Most of the time, More Support=more people care= more $=better team. Repeat.

i not directing my comments towards you if they don't apply, most of the fans and season ticket holders i know could care less about the name of the team, as long as the cats put a good product on the floor,have reasonable prices they are in. the people you refer to are shallow and need to grow up and and get over themselves IF THAT IS THE ONLY REASON THEY DON'T SUPPORT THE TEAM NOW. the name and logo didn't do much for me at first but has grown on me like the hornets did.

i not directing my comments towards you if they don't apply, most of the fans and season ticket holders i know could care less about the name of the team, as long as the cats put a good product on the floor,have reasonable prices they are in. the people you refer to are shallow and need to grow up and and get over themselves IF THAT IS THE ONLY REASON THEY DON'T SUPPORT THE TEAM NOW. the name and logo didn't do much for me at first but has grown on me like the hornets did.

There are plenty more reasons that people dont support the team, I'd say the name and logo are on the list.

What I dont get it is anger from the people who like the logo, and are not even remotely open to the change.

But, the stats don't lie.

Jordan is more savvy than he gets credit for, and he is smart enought to surround himself with smart people.

If it will help the Bobcats, then he is open and willing to do it.

I don't get the desire to change the name and logo. Has any pro sports team ever changed name/logo that didn't involve moving to a new city?

When the Washington Bullets became the Washington Wizards, that's the last time I can think of it happening.

Even when teams move, they usually take the name with them. The Supersonics obviously left the name with Seattle and brought the "Thunder" to Oklahoma City instead. BUT normally teams just take the name with them, regardless of how much, New Orleans wants their "Jazz" back.

Obviously, it comes down to the cost of rebranding a new team name. If it wasn't a factor - which it is - I'm sure more pro sports would enforce it and keep team names with their respected cities, where they've become legendary.

There are plenty more reasons that people dont support the team, I'd say the name and logo are on the list.

What I dont get it is anger from the people who like the logo, and are not even remotely open to the change.

But, the stats don't lie.

Jordan is more savvy than he gets credit for, and he is smart enought to surround himself with smart people.

If it will help the Bobcats, then he is open and willing to do it.

my point is I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE NAME OF THE TEAM, MJ CAN CHANGE IF HE WANTS TO AND I WILL STILL BE IN THE STANDS. if it is true that somebody wants to support the team but can't get past the NAME tells me alot about them. i can't/won't support a team because i don't like their name never mind that they have a playoff team,cheap prices,hot cheerleaders,eyecandy in the stands and allow you to have a good time without unleashing the FUN POLICE on you like the panthers but they still won't go. maybe it's just me but that makes little to no sense at all. speaking of MJ he might be open to the change but think it's silly that keeps people from attending games

Change name? Sure. Colors? I like the colors, let's keep those.

Unfortunately, the Hornets were the best name for this city, they hit the nail on the head when that was given. The city's nickname has been "The Hornet's Nest" forever, by a England general or w/e talking about how the citizens of this area attacked like a bunch of Hornets having their nest disrupted (also why there's a nest on Char-Meck PD cars).

Archived