• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Brown growing into job, literally

jbland

The bottom line is that if we hadn't traded for Brown last year and still had the #17 pick, our number one priority this year would be to use that first on a DE to replace Peppers. But the problem is that there is a real chance that none of the top tier DE's would be available at our pick. Or maybe we would have to take someone like JPP, who I have serious reservations about, and even in the best of circumstances probably won't be a major contributor his rookie year...much less contribute even a fraction of what a DE with a year's experience under his belt will provide.

As for where Brown would be picked in this year's draft, almost certainly in the first, and most likely, the mid-first. He was already projected there last year by many, and that was with a year less experience, about ten fewer lbs than he is currently at, and not as strong as he is now. His height was never really a major factor in him dropping, it was more his weight, which raised concerns about his ability to hold up in the run game, and lack of hip flexibility, which caused some to question how well he would do in coverage if moved to OLB.

No mention of this part?

He's also growing in a mohawk, which looks out of character on the mild-mannered second-year end.

But to the credit of his offseason training, the mohawk's not nearly the first thing you notice when he walks in a room.

Haven't had that on the team since Hartwig.

where would Brown be drafted this year? 3rd round? late 2nd?

You guys are joking right? Brown would have dominated the ACC and probably the #1 DE chosen. Don't down grade the guy based on playing against NFL Tackles vs College Tackles.

He clearly would have been a 1st rounder and probably gone before the 17th pick.

Considering we also go Goodson in the deal I would say we got the better end of the deal.

Go Panthers

derrick morgan is considered a lock for the first round and is only an inch taller than brown and just about the same weight at this point.

he's less than 10 pounds lighter than JPP and 3 inches shorter.

2 inches shorter than griffen and about 10 pounds lighter

4 inches and only about 15 pounds lighter than a bum like dunlap.

i'm liking the build. height isn't going to make a differnece. he's still going to be one of the quickest DEs in the league and he's going to be strong/big for his height.

don't get so stuck on the height. he's still going to be good. all the evidence so far is that he is worth the pick we gave up for him.

Oh yes, and not only that he was an extra draft pick last year, we did not use any of last years picks to get him. Basically we got this year's 1st round draft a year early and the whole year of learning and training to go with it. I loved the move last year picking 1st round talent a year early and paying at a 2nd round pay scale. It's brilliant if you really examine it . . . I'd do it again in a heart beat. In fact this year looks ideal for the same move.

If there is similar talent available in the 2nd round this year (as there should be with many players trying to get in before next years potential chaos) I would be wholeheartedly behind it. I think next year the draft pickings will be the slimmest in years. Though the front office may be trying to be conservative in front of the 2011 uncertainty. picking up first round talent at 2nd round pay is a good way to go in vein anyways.

Many Panther fans are thinking we could very conservative, reading the moves so far to lower cost and consolidation.

We may be surprised . . .

:party:

No one. I guess it just what you view as appropriate production and wheter or not he reaches is that. Considering we picked him at 17 overall he better turn out to be a probowler. But of course seeing as we are Panthers fans that accept medicority on a year in and year out bases most will probable say that doesn't matter. If he turns into a solid player thats all that matters.

Personally I think a 1st rounder is worth more then just a solid player. Look what we have been able to find there some of the best players in the league at the positions (Williams, Stewart, Otah, Gross, Beason, Gamble, etc.

jramsey one paragraph refutes the other make up your mind dude.

we are Panthers fans that accept medicority on a year in and year out bases

vs

Look what we have been able to find there some of the best players in the league at the positions (Williams, Stewart, Otah, Gross, Beason, Gamble, etc.

Oh yes, and not only that he was an extra draft pick last year, we did not use any of last years picks to get him. Basically we got this year's 1st round draft a year early and the whole year of learning and training to go with it. I loved the move last year picking 1st round talent a year early and paying at a 2nd round pay scale. It's brilliant if you really examine it . . . I'd do it again in a heart beat. In fact this year looks ideal for the same move.

If there is similar talent available in the 2nd round this year (as there should be with many players trying to get in before next years potential chaos) I would be wholeheartedly behind it. I think next year the draft pickings will be the slimmest in years. Though the front office may be trying to be conservative in front of the 2011 uncertainty. picking up first round talent at 2nd round pay is a good way to go in vein anyways.

Many Panther fans are thinking we could very conservative, reading the moves so far to lower cost and consolidation.

We may be surprised . . .

:party:

i wouldn't be all that opposed to doing the same thing myself. there's a lot of talent in the top three rounds, and if we can somehow get another 2nd round pick... say, picks 33-40, somewhere in there... we may be able to get golden tate, then a DL at 48. and call me crazy, but it'd be nice if we went with a second WR in the 3rd round, say Jacoby Ford, or Mardy Gilyard. then an OT in the 4th.

Archived