• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sad but true statement from NFL.com about the QB situation

Brokenbad

nobody denies that jake got "franchise" treatment and appeared to be untouchable, but do we want to make the same mistake again? moore has the chance to start but he will have to stay on top of his game cause he has a extremely talented qb with a huge chip on his shoulder breathing down his neck

Yeah, I agree. I loved the pick of Clausen because our FO finally took time to invest in a future QB.

I think the main problem is people don't trust Fox.

I cannot believe even after Hurney and Fox explained how we got Clausen everyone wants to think it is because they don't have confidence in Moore.

I am sure most of you have seen or heard of the value chart. Each player has an overall Value. Clausen was at the top. VERY TOP.. Franchise QB TOP. We never in our minds believed he would fall anywhere near 48. Why discuss drafting a guy when he isn't supposed to be there. Then thru the course of the Draft Clausen falls to us. Fortunately for us when a player drops like that we don't pass we Pounce on it. Just like last year when we traded our 2010 for Brown. He fell to a point where we felt he was worth the position we chose him. Same thing goes for Pike. So instead of filling our depth issues with Veterans we fill them with Rookies.

I believe Clausen will pick up our offense quickly since it is very similiar to ND. I believe this is Moore's Job to lose.

Lastly and most importantly. We DID NOT Draft Clausen (or Pike for that matter) because we didn't have faith in Moore. We do have faith.

The FO isn't telling the media they have faith in Moore and then drafting a QB to contradict themselves. Our newly drafted QBs fell to us. We are just smart enough not to let good talent pass us by.

GO Panthers

That's exactly the explanation they gave for drafting Clausen and Pike-best players available regardless of position. And considering the inexperience we have at that position (2 guys that nobody else wanted), I'm surprised anyone is questioning those picks- the 2nd and 4th rated QBs in the draft. We got two players that were expected to go higher, and in a position of need as well.

As for the article's reason for Clausen falling to 48- "When one team that needs a player at a certain position passes on a guy, you'd be amazed at how many other teams will pass on him just because they assume that something must be wrong with the guy or else another team would have taken him. It happens a lot." - when you do that you're admitting that some other team's unknown reason for not drafting a player is better than your own evaluations and research. Kind of like saying 'well, I don't know why my buddy jumped off the bridge, but he must have had a good reason, so that was a good enough reason for me to jump too'. :rolleyes:

didn't say he was as"franchise qb" nor will i say that he will be, just that on talent level alone he clearly has the advantage over moore(doesn't mean he will develop it)

I would prefer to wait until I see him go up against NFL defenses as opposed to college defenses before I am willing to say that he has a talent advantage over Moore or any other NFL QB.

IMO, everybody is making way too big of a deal over John Fox being a so called lame duck coach. I just don't see that man doing anything differently, unless it's because of lessons he's learned in recent years. I doubt the lack of a contract next year will affect how he coaches at all. If anything, you would think he would want to win even more, because this year is an audition for him.

I think the picks of Clausen and Pike were simply for competition, not lack of confidence in Moore. The Moore/Clausen battles in camp should make for a good story and hopefully, end up for good production in regular season regardless of who ends up being the starter; as Fox and Hurney said in a press conference, competition brings the best out of people. As for the Pike pick, I think that was more of a reflection on how they feel about Cantwell; that maybe he isn't NFL ready even at the 3rd string spot... would make sense considering he couldn't beat out either Moore, McCown or Feeley throughout last season and stayed on the practice squad.

Archived