• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dale Earnhardt Jr. back to the #3

Jackson 5

And he would do about as good as Dale Jr.! I can fully understand RC wanting him to do well, but a second coming of DE Sr. he is not! Not even close! I see im putting up comparable results to his father, Mike Dillion. He will be a mediocre Nationwide lifer at best. Honestly, I have not seen anyone in NNS or CWTS that looks to carry the SPRINT CUP torch anytime soon!

And he would do about as good as Dale Jr.! I can fully understand RC wanting him to do well, but a second coming of DE Sr. he is not! Not even close! I see im putting up comparable results to his father, Mike Dillion. He will be a mediocre Nationwide lifer at best. Honestly, I have not seen anyone in NNS or CWTS that looks to carry the SPRINT CUP torch anytime soon!

Austin is a slightly better driver than Dale Jr and only getting better. It is hard to tell how good he will be. He might be a mediocre Busch/Cup driver, or he might be a legitimate top 15 Cup driver.

Austin is a slightly better driver than Dale Jr and only getting better. It is hard to tell how good he will be. He might be a mediocre Busch/Cup driver, or he might be a legitimate top 15 Cup driver.

For the life of me i can't figure out what happened to Dale Jr.

He showed such promise winng 2 Busch titles and thewn ok with DEI.

But once he got with Hendricks a top organization he has not done anything.

Puzzling...

Puzzling...

Sticking with Tony Urury as his crew chief may have set him back.If he ever gets a crew chief that is top notch he may make a resurgance. Here's hoping he does get it together.

Puzzling...

The COT is more driver dependent. In the past, a sucky driver behind a really good car could run decent. Now, with the boxy, aerodynamically lacking COT, you really have to drive the thing to put it up front. Jr can't do that.

Puzzling...

Also let's not forget that Kyle Petty finished in the top 10 in points 4 times before falling completely off the earth. I don't think NA$CAR will allow that to happen to Jr, but the precedent is certainly there.

To answer an earlier question, Childress' grandson's name is Austin Dillon and he is PHENOMENAL on dirt tracks. If you ever have the opportunity to see him run, do it. The super late models that he runs usually have 20 car fields and on a typical straightaway, these bad boys can get up to 120 (which is impressive, because they are usually a quarter mile or so long).

On topic with discussion, Jr needs Pops Eury back. Eury Jr was the start of his downfall because he was so close with him, they knew how to make each other happy. Seems like it would work. But there relationship wasn't business. It was family and love. Pops Eury would tell Jr what's up and that's what he needs. Somebody who will say "quit being a puss and drive".

That's my problem with Jr. He showed early on he has the talent. And he's shown in the COT that he can drive it. Over the past few years, he's become scared. He'll give up spots to remain "comfortable". In racing, it isn't about "comfortable" its about doing what is necessary to get your ass to the front. My philosophy has always been race clean early. Then, in the last 100, slowly get more aggressive. By the last 20, its whatever it takes. Either win or wreck trying. That's why Jaws, Earnhardt Sr, and the Allison's won so much. You have to know when to flex your muscles. Jr doesn't. Kyle Busch does when he has the car to do it.

I will say I hate how, after NASCAR told the boys "get after it. Gloves are off" the media starts jumping all over guys who do what they have to do to win races. When Edwards got Keselowski loose a couple weeks ago in the Nationwide race, that was GOOD racing. He did enough to get him loose, Brad couldn't save it. It happens. In hindsight, most will say "that was pretty good". I loved it. Screw this "be nice" bull. Race clean the whole race, but get down and dirty when its crunch time.

To answer an earlier question, Childress' grandson's name is Austin Dillon and he is PHENOMENAL on dirt tracks. If you ever have the opportunity to see him run, do it. The super late models that he runs usually have 20 car fields and on a typical straightaway, these bad boys can get up to 120 (which is impressive, because they are usually a quarter mile or so long).

I was impressed with him in the Truck race at Darlington last week.

You mean that one that Todd Bodine destroyed the field in?

Yeah, you want to see a real driver, TB is a real driver. I am being dead serious too. He is just short, bald, ugly, and a Bodine, all strikes against you for making it big in the Cup series. People tend to forget that TB substantially outran Jimmy Johnson in the 92 car in the Busch series.

TB is twice the driver that JR is. That's no BS either.

You mean that one that Todd Bodine destroyed the field in?

Yeah, you want to see a real driver, TB is a real driver. I am being dead serious too. He is just short, bald, ugly, and a Bodine, all strikes against you for making it big in the Cup series. People tend to forget that TB substantially outran Jimmy Johnson in the 92 car in the Busch series.

TB is twice the driver that JR is. That's no BS either.

I'm an Onion fan to an extent. He's from a family deeply embedded in NASCAR and that earns respect in itself.

Not saying that I wasn't impressed with Bodine (who won two consecutive races with no major sponsorship) but Dillon put on a decent show as well. Kenny Schrader didn't do too bad either considering he had to start the race at the back of the field.

Funny story. I was at the dirt track in Cleveland County last Friday for a big time super late model race. I saw the black 3 that Austin Dillon drives. Had Dillon on the front of the top of the car and everything. They stop watching the gate to the pits (which are above the track) about an hour after races start. We just walked over to them. Found the car. Walked up and started chatting with the crew. His little brother was driving it. He finished top 5 in it. But we were asking "Where's Austin? We got all excited?" They said he couldn't be there because the truck race the next day. They did say the day before he showed up during testing with his girlfriend and didn't even say hey. Just said "can I take a couple laps in it?" They agreed. After 2 laps, broke the drive shaft. Took the slip joint at the transmission with it. Thought it was funny.

To answer an earlier question, Childress' grandson's name is Austin Dillon and he is PHENOMENAL on dirt tracks.

PHENOMENAL is a gross overstatement. Granted he garners descent results while racing his very well backed car against local yocal factory workers! Not saying he cant drive, but seriously look at what resources are at his disposal versus his competition. Just saying!

Denny Hamlin looked like a scrub in karts through late models alot of times with Dennis(his father) funding! He gets the resources behind him in the form of Jimmy Dean and goes onto take every win in late model thats not bolted down.

When evaluating racing talent, you absolutely have to look at what the "potential" star is working with. A young Tony Stewart would be winning both the WoO and Lucas championships if he had Dillon's resources in he beginning!

PHENOMENAL is a gross overstatement. Granted he garners descent results while racing his very well backed car against local yocal factory workers! Not saying he cant drive, but seriously look at what resources are at his disposal versus his competition. Just saying!

Denny Hamlin looked like a scrub in karts through late models alot of times with Dennis(his father) funding! He gets the resources behind him in the form of Jimmy Dean and goes onto take every win in late model thats not bolted down.

When evaluating racing talent, you absolutely have to look at what the "potential" star is working with. A young Tony Stewart would be winning both the WoO and Lucas championships if he had Dillon's resources in he beginning!

True. But you have to be able to drive them. Late models are a mother to drive (I tried a few years ago with a family friend's car...made it through 1 and 2 going maybe 50 and parked it on the back stretch. Fug that!) Dillon does get his results due to his funding (his shop is directly across the street from the RCR Cup shops...). But he can drive it to the front is my point. The kid knows how to put the nose of that car to you a little to get up front. But I follow your logic 100%. Well said.

Archived