• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Contact Lens Question...

Johnny Rockets

So I recently took one step closer to admitting that I am getting old and went to the eye doctor for the first time in my life. I actually failed the eye exam 1 1/2 years ago when I went to renew my driver's license but they let me slide.

Anyway, I have a stigmatism and got some contacts that I have worn over the weekend. I have to go back for a checkup tomorrow and I will be getting a larger supply of lenses. I know that the type of lenses I need are a bit more expensive and the girl gave me an estimate of about $280 (with insurance) for a years supply of lenses and then there was a $60 rebate on top of that so it would be around $220 for a year. Sounds pretty good to me but is there a downside to ordering a years worth and should I look into ordering from the internet instead of through the doctor's office?

never had any experience with ordering on the internet, but I sure see them advertising lots. Can't see any downfall to that if you know exactly what you want.

$220 for a year doesn't sound too bad either really...but I have to go on what I pay up here of course. I wear glasses to work, so I buy daily contacts for occasional use and weekends so a three month supply lasts me a long long time!!! Last batch cost me $90 I believe, for 3 months, and I also have a stigmatism.

Internet is usually the same price plus you need to get the Dr's prescription to send to the company, easier to get them from the Dr. No real downside to order a year if you get that amount back unless your eyes do something crazy and get really bad within that year which is very unlikely.

I will be bringing you a present in 2 weeks after we return from Memphis old man! It should be large enough that you won't even need those contacts.:piggy:

JR, I have astigmatism too and I went the contacts route two years ago. I buy the year's supply and keep them in a drawer and change them out every two weeks. When I got them, the year's supply was a better deal with the rebate than the other plans that were available. The one upside to it (and this has happened to me) is when one tears, you have another one right there as a backup ready to go. If that happens and you run out at the end of the year, the doctor will usually give you a trial pair for free. At least my doctor here in Belmont does that.

Archived