• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Suprisingly, Connor not being asked to compete for starting SLB spot

scpanther22

Here's something I found interesting. According to the stats at Profootballfocus.com, last year Jon Beason was in on 1,046 snaps. The next highest on the team was James Anderson, who was in on 531. Davis had 417, Diggs 411, and Connor 75. Davis got a tackle or assist on 13.2% of the plays he was in for, Connor was next at 12.8%, then Beason at 12.7%, then Anderson at 9.8%, and finally Diggs at 8.3%. Connor had no missed tackles, Davis 1, Diggs 3, Anderson 7, and Beason 11.

We can argue stuff all day long, but it's pretty clear that the coaches like Anderson a lot, and it's kind of obvious why (if the stats mean anything) they let Diggs go.

http://profootballfocus.com/cstats.php?tab=by_team&season=2009&teamid=5&stype=a&stats=d

I'd like to see Eric Norwood line up next to Beason and Davis. But I think Fox is dead set on using him soley on passing downs( probably at DE mostly) and Special teams.

You think that its because he's a rookie and isn't good in coverage? It's not that Fox is "dead set" on him not being a starter, he's limiting Norwood's role so he can have some in-game success this year while he's working on his weak spots.

James Anderson playing the strong side is not going to work.

I believe the best three should be on the field and the best three includes Connor IMO.

How mnay practices have you attended and how much game film have you evaluated? This should be a surprise to no one who pays attention. We need a backup MLB and Connor is the best we have there. No one's opinion on this board matters for this team.

Slb position battle breakdown D Connors = dc is the best at run support and tackleing but he is the worst at pass coverage and pass rushing. DC is the slowest in this competition. J Anderson = is the fastest the best in pass coverage and good not great in rushing the passer. JA problem come on running plays and when teams run at him. He gets curshed when it comes too taking on tackles and guards so either he gets washed out of the play or over runs it getting out of position. E Norwood = Great pass rusher really good in stopping the run because he has no fear in taking on tackles and guards. Only hole in his game iss pass coverage because he was really never ask too do it but after watching flim on him I have no doubt he will excell in this as he does it more. Dude is just a play maker and if Ja or Dc don't improve on their faults he will be taking this spot.

How mnay practices have you attended and how much game film have you evaluated? This should be a surprise to no one who pays attention. We need a backup MLB and Connor is the best we have there. No one's opinion on this board matters for this team.

None. I just make this poo up on the fly.

Just because he's the starting SLB doesn't mean he can't back up Beason too. Obviously he has to be prepared for two roles in case something happens to Beason, but since he's currently a back-up he should be prepared for at least two roles anyways.

Just because he's the starting SLB doesn't mean he can't back up Beason too. Obviously he has to be prepared for two roles in case something happens to Beason, but since he's currently a back-up he should be prepared for at least two roles anyways.

Wharton is clearly the best backup left tackle, so the Panthers should pull him out of the starting LG spot so that he can be the backup.

Follow that logic?

You could say the same thing to all the people that are saying Connor is not a fit and is best as a backup for beason.

Archived