• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Official Huddle Beer Thread

CharlotteBeer.com

Definitely. I think Abita is one of most overrated breweries in the country. Them and Magic Hat. I feel like they locked up the hipster crowd using strong marketing as opposed to making a quality product.

Yep. Magic Hat is almost all marketing and pretty graphics. Their Roxy Rolles is okay, as is Howl (a Schwarzbier). Everything else I've had from them has been average to bad. I made the mistake of buying their summer sampler last year.

Others' mileage may vary, of course. :P

• 2 weeks later...

My current favorite is Unibroue Trois Pistoles. It's a nice double-fermented brew, I think it's 9 percent alcohol. There's a lot of flavors going on in there, it's one you just have to try yourself. It's tough to find down in the Carolinas, though, the brewery is in Montreal. I was surprised to find it in a Piggly Wiggly while on vacation near Pawley's Island a few weeks ago.

My current favorite is Unibroue Trois Pistoles. It's a nice double-fermented brew, I think it's 9 percent alcohol. There's a lot of flavors going on in there, it's one you just have to try yourself. It's tough to find down in the Carolinas, though, the brewery is in Montreal. I was surprised to find it in a Piggly Wiggly while on vacation near Pawley's Island a few weeks ago.

I think I saw Unibroue's Trois Pistoles at The Meat House, a new place over near Stonecrest on Rea Rd. I've never head that one, though I've enjoyed several of their other beers. I'll look for it.

I've had some great beers recently. A few standouts:

Great Divide 16th Anniversary Oak-Aged IPA

Duck Rabbit Rabid Duck

North Coast Brother Thelonious

Allagash Victoria

Last night I grabbed Ommegang Hennepin, which is one of my favorite saisons. For anyone looking for a beer that is refreshing without compromising flavor and complexity, this is it.

my brother in law....takes frozen marquerita mix and instead of using water, uses beer...then adds the tequila....it don't look really good...but when it's in a pitcher of ice...it's way tooo good and goes down oh so fast.

my brother in law....takes frozen marquerita mix and instead of using water, uses beer...then adds the tequila....it don't look really good...but when it's in a pitcher of ice...it's way tooo good and goes down oh so fast.

We did that for Cinco De Mayo. Used Tecate, Triple Sec, Tequila and frozen concentrate limeade. Delish.

I'm hooked on the Great Lakes beers. I've got the Dortmunder on tap right now. I see a few in here like it as well. When winter comes make sure you try their Christmas Ale. It is wonderful. Its one of the best winter beers ive had. It will put your dick in the dirt but it is very good.

I'm hooked on the Great Lakes beers. I've got the Dortmunder on tap right now. I see a few in here like it as well. When winter comes make sure you try their Christmas Ale. It is wonderful. Its one of the best winter beers ive had. It will put your dick in the dirt but it is very good.

I loved the four Great Lakes beers I tried in their sampler pack (Eliot Ness, Dortmunder, Edmund Fitzgerald and Burning River). The Edmund Fitzgerald is one of my favorite porters.

I also got to try their excellent Lake Erie Monster DIPA recently. Hopefully I can try the Blackout Stout when it's down here.

I loved the four Great Lakes beers I tried in their sampler pack (Eliot Ness, Dortmunder, Edmund Fitzgerald and Burning River). The Edmund Fitzgerald is one of my favorite porters.

I also got to try their excellent Lake Erie Monster DIPA recently. Hopefully I can try the Blackout Stout when it's down here.

I've got family in Cleveland so i have tried most of them but they had a beer tasting for Great Lakes a couple months back at Custom Home Pub which was nice. I think they had 6 different ones to try. I like the Dortmunder and i think it is the Burning River. If Burning river is their amber ale. The guy at Custom Home said we might not be getting the Christmas Ale because it's very popular in Cleveland but he was going to try. Going up at the end of the month so i will look for that Black Out stout because I'm pretty sure i haven't tried that one. I still need to hit the Arbo up and try that beer place you told me about that has the Duck Rabbit on tap.

Archived