• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Official Huddle Beer Thread

CharlotteBeer.com

For anyone in the High Point, NC area on the 10th of any month, Liberty Brewery and Steakhouse is celebrating their tenth anniversery by selling a special "Decade" brew only on those days. Haven't had it yet, but I've never had a bad beer there. Easily my favorite local brew, and the food is damn good to boot. Should be worth a glass if you get a chance.

I've had the Victory Hop Wallop, and you're right: it's very good. I also just tried Victory Storm King Stout -- that's a helluva beer as well.

I've had the regular Yeti, and a few weeks ago I got to try the Chocolate Oak-Aged Yeti on draft. I really enjoyed it, but I still think I like my Old Rasputin a bit better.

Vintner Wine Market is in south Charlotte, in the Arboretum shopping center between Pineville and Matthews (intersection of Hwy. 16 and Hwy. 51).

It's been a while since I've had an Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. The thing is that microbrews are coming so prevailant now tht it's had to cycle through them all without spending some serious dough. At one point a couple of years back, I had just about most that North Carolina and South Carolina had to offer to that point, may be GA. Now the market is wide open and with all the new micros opening and/or distributing nationwide, there's PLENTY I've yet to try.

I still have family on the east side, so the next time I have a visit, I'll try to make it out there to the Vinter Wine Market.

Have you been to any Flying Saucers, Taco Macs or Bailey's 'Berry? There's a Flying Saucer on Hwy 49 at University. About 100 beers on draft, and no macros. They don't even serve in chilled galsses. It pisses off the normal beer drinker. If the beer is good, the glass needs no chill.

Oh yeah, there are just so many good beers out right now. I rarely drink the same beers twice, no matter how good they are. There are a few beers that I'll buy again and again, though: Bell's Two Hearted, Old Rasputin, Dogfish 90-Minute, most Sierra Nevada offerings.

I've been to the Flying Saucer a couple times. I really enjoyed it, but it's a little bit of a drive for me. I haven't been to a Bailey's or Taco Mac, though I heard a Taco Mac is coming to South Park.

Cool! All Taco Macs except for one are located in GA (Chattanooga, TN the other), at least as of a year ago. I was wondering when they would expand outside GA. They are like a fusion of the Flying Saucer and Wild Wings. They have as many taps (or more) than Flying Saucer but with the sports bar feel of Wild Wings. There are only two Bailey's--Asheville and Greenville. Again 100+ taps, but with a more Mellow Mushroom, hippie, vibe to it; specializing in some killer pie.

Cool! All Taco Macs except for one are located in GA (Chattanooga, TN the other), at least as of a year ago. I was wondering when they would expand outside GA. They are like a fusion of the Flying Saucer and Wild Wings. They have as many taps (or more) than Flying Saucer but with the sports bar feel of Wild Wings. There are only two Bailey's--Asheville and Greenville. Again 100+ taps, but with a more Mellow Mushroom, hippie, vibe to it; specializing in some killer pie.

Ya taco mac is pretty nice. Been there a couple of times. When I first moved here I thought they were in competition with taco bell. LOL

Oh, you mean Barley's? I did go to Barley's in Asheville several times while going to school up there. I freakin' love that city. They've got something like nine breweries up there now (14 in Western North Carolina altogether).

Oh, you mean Barley's? I did go to Barley's in Asheville several times while going to school up there. I freakin' love that city. They've got something like nine breweries up there now (14 in Western North Carolina altogether).

Damn, yeah Barley's. Sorry, I got Barley's and Bailey's (sports bar) mixed up, my bad. Higlands brewery used to be about a block down from there. I don't know if they have relocted. Still my favorite NC microbrewery. Duck Rabbit is getting on up there, though. Their milk stout is really good.

Ya taco mac is pretty nice. Been there a couple of times. When I first moved here I thought they were in competition with taco bell. LOL

So did I. I think origianlly they were heavy with the Mexican items on the menu and once they got into the sports bar scene they had to diversify.

Damn, yeah Barley's. Sorry, I got Barley's and Bailey's (sports bar) mixed up, my bad. Higlands brewery used to be about a block down from there. I don't know if they have relocted. Still my favorite NC microbrewery. Duck Rabbit is getting on up there, though. Their milk stout is really good.

Completely understandable. I get Barley's and Brawley's (the beer store in Charlotte) confused all the time.

Highland is in a big warehouse off of I-240 a bit. I love their beers as well.

Duck Rabbit is one of the better NC breweries, too. If you can find their Rabid Duck Imperial Stout, pick it up. It's really good, especially if you like a lot of coffee flavor in your stouts.

I guess those are the two with the widest distribution. I wish some of these other NC breweries would start distributing (Foothills, Pisgah and Olde Hickory would be nice).

Just got back from Denver. Had an awesome vacation.

Went to Great Divide in downtown. I was there for their monthly Beer and Cheese tasting. They pair 6 beers with 6 cheeses. All were phenomenal. However, they didn't have any beers I hadn't had before, the best being the Hercules Double IPA and Oak-Aged Yeti.

I got some Russian Rivers. I had a Consecration, Damnation, and a Supplication which my brother had been aging for about year. Most excellent. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any Pliny this time. (Last time I was there I bought out a store and had to leave some clothes at my brothers house to bring them back in my suitcase).

I also had a lot of Odell's, their standard IPA is quite solid and would probably be my go-to IPA for casual drinking if I lived out there. Unfortunately, I didn't make it out to Oskar Blues. A little disappointed about that, but it's alright since you can find their beers pretty easily now days.

Went to Great Divide in downtown. I was there for their monthly Beer and Cheese tasting. They pair 6 beers with 6 cheeses. All were phenomenal. However, they didn't have any beers I hadn't had before, the best being the Hercules Double IPA and Oak-Aged Yeti.

I got some Russian Rivers. I had a Consecration, Damnation, and a Supplication which my brother had been aging for about year. Most excellent. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any Pliny this time. (Last time I was there I bought out a store and had to leave some clothes at my brothers house to bring them back in my suitcase).

I also had a lot of Odell's, their standard IPA is quite solid and would probably be my go-to IPA for casual drinking if I lived out there. Unfortunately, I didn't make it out to Oskar Blues. A little disappointed about that, but it's alright since you can find their beers pretty easily now days.

Envious!!! Oh well, I'm glad you had a good time.

That is awesome, man. I'd love to visit Denver (especially for GABF). I just had Great Divide's 16th Anniversary IPA and absolutely loved it. They've got another wood-aged IPA coming out soon in a month or so, and also a smoked porter.

I haven't had any Russian River beers, though I'd love to (especially Pliny).

Like NC Bobcat, I am envious. ;)

Right now I'm sipping on something that some beer drinkers might consider a sin: a beer float! This one's made with two scoops of coffee ice cream and a bottle of Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout.

If you haven't had that stout, go get it -- it's the best dollar beer you will ever find. It's actually contract-brewed by Goose Island out of Chicago.

Right now I'm sipping on something that some beer drinkers might consider a sin: a beer float! This one's made with two scoops of coffee ice cream and a bottle of Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout.

If you haven't had that stout, go get it -- it's the best dollar beer you will ever find. It's actually contract-brewed by Goose Island out of Chicago.

That sounds freaking awesome!

Have you ever had a chocolate covered raspberry? It's a pint of Young's Double Chocolate Stout with a shot of raspberry lambic stirred in it.

I just back off vaction and will have to do macros for a while if I want to drink at all. You don't realize how much money you spend until you get back from vacation. Heck, I even went on a 'budget' vacation and still spent a pant load.

Archived