• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How to use a ";"

CanadianCat

;however

;therefore

;as a result

These are common transition words that are used following semicolons. I don't normally use them, but they are acceptable and used quite often.

My point is you wouldn't use those in independent clauses. I guess you could with "as a result," but with singular transitional words I don't think it would work.

I think "however" should be used in the middle of one (semicolon-less) sentence: "Semicolons are easy to understand, however they can be tricky."

You're not supposed to lead a sentence with "however," and therefore I don't think it makes much sense to use it (and other transitional words) as the leading words for an independent clause after a semicolon.

I guess it is technically correct; I just think it comes down to a matter of style. I think some of those transitional words are pushed so heavily in high school that many people overuse them when trying to sound academic.

My point is you wouldn't use those in independent clauses. I guess you could with "as a result," but with singular transitional words I don't think it would work.

I think "however" should be used in the middle of one (semicolon-less) sentence: "Semicolons are easy to understand, however they can be tricky."

You're not supposed to lead a sentence with "however," and therefore I don't think it makes much sense to use it (and other transitional words) as the leading words for an independent clause after a semicolon.

I guess it is technically correct; I just think it comes down to a matter of style. I think some of those transitional words are pushed so heavily in high school that many people overuse them when trying to sound academic.

I concur dear sir.

I agree 100%.:thumbsup:

Archived