• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

who would you rather have, jake or eli?

tommy gun

I'll take Eli any day. He's still quite young, and he is indeed proven. I personally like Jake, but Jake has not improved his mechanics much since he took the helm in 2003. He doesn't sell the play action very well, and he rarely pump fakes effectively. His checks from one receiver to another are often spotty as well, and he ends up throwing into multiple coverage too often. I don't know if it is a matter of him being 'coachable', or if the QB coaches he has had are not up to the task. But as was proved this past Saturday night, for this season anyways, when Jake throws one pick, odds are that he will throw another, and another..etc. Thank God we were playing the Raiders when he threw the 4 picks then, any other team, including the Lions, would have ate us up. But he himself appeared to be deflated after that first pick, like the "oh crap, not again" mentality took over. The great ones throw a pick, and they want the ball back...NOW! I just don't see that in Jake.

One other thing about Jake, he's too excitable, not a good trait in a QB. He also leaves his guys 'exposed' after bad plays, gesturing and hollering at them when it happens. Again, not a good trait in a QB. I'll take Eli anytime. I truly believe he can be one of the greats in time. He is not to blame for the Burress situation which gutted the Giants the last part of the season.

Basically 6 of one, half dozen of the other. At this point in his career, Eli is no better than Jake. Both can be inconsistent, and both have trouble when you take their number one weapon away.

pretty much

although i think jake is a better qb without smith, which is the exact opposite of eli and plax

Eli Manning. Jake Delhomme is a poor man's Eli. Both QBs arent that good and need play action to be successful. But Eli's accuracy and ability to scan the field is far superior to Jake. Going by the "Jake is such a leader blah blah" logic, Eli must be a better leader than Jake because he's led his team to a Super Bowl win.

Eli Manning. Jake Delhomme is a poor man's Eli. Both QBs arent that good and need play action to be successful. But Eli's accuracy and ability to scan the field is far superior to Jake. Going by the "Jake is such a leader blah blah" logic, Eli must be a better leader than Jake because he's led his team to a Super Bowl win.

What QB doesn't need play action? The great ones execute it very well, always have, and always will. We have the running game to make play action more viable, what appears to be lacking is the play calling to take advantage of it. Our first offensive series against the Cards established the run, and what did we do? We abandoned it when we fell behind by 7 points! Play action is one of THE tickets for success for this team, IF it's done right.

That said, I still think Eli's mechanics are far superior to Jake's, thus, his potential is unlimited. But NO QB is going to realize his full maximum potential under a coach/coaching staff that doesn't KNOW HOW to develop a QB. And I think that's the knock on us. Pull film of Jake in 2003 and him now, and you won't see anything different, i.e., no improvement. He started good, and the case can be made that he has actually regressed, because while he hasn't improved his game, other teams now have the 'book' on him, and know his tendencies, traits, etc, and can prepare accordingly.

i don't think this is true. Much like ben in 05, eli just didn't mess the game up that time. No way he should have been the SB MVP IMO. The DL should have gotten it as a whole for keeping brady under pressure.

Archived