• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Adam Schefter: Panthers could release Delhomme

DecrypticShadow

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/11/will-delhomme-return-to-carolina-next-season/

I honestly think we should do this. I have been a huge supporter of Jake since his first start in 03. I am still a supporter of him even after the performance last Saturday. However, I think about the team as a whole before I will side with an individual. Delhomme is already 34. He isn't getting any younger, or better. I think it is time that we start a new at the quarterback position. The media for a long time wanted to spin the fact that Delhomme's return from Tommy John Surgery was the reason the team clicked and succeeded this year. Wrong!!! It was the running game that John Fox and Co. base their offensive schemes on. We have never had a running game like we have had this year in the history of the franchise. Now we need a good quarterback to deal with the passing game. Delhomme is just AVERAGE... We need a GOOD quarterback.

Releasing Delhomme according to this blog by Adam Schefter would save the team 6.325 million on next seasons Cap. Jake is scheduled to make 11 Million next year!! Yikes.. Perhaps we could bring in a proven quarterback like an Anderson who is only 25.

I know many of you have been flaming Jake at will after our last game. This is not what this thread was intended for. Perhaps we could leave that all at the door and actually discuss how we could use that money to benefit the team.

Ok I understand whom he mentioned isn't a viable option to fit the team. Thus the reason his is not on staff with a franchise anywhere.. We all know that. Forget about whom he thinks we would go after for just a minute and take in the facts of the article.. Releasing Jake would free up over 6mil on the Cap for next season. If he was released how could we use the money and fill his position to rebound the team?

Ok I understand whom he mentioned isn't a viable option to fit the team. Thus the reason his is not on staff with a franchise anywhere.. We all know that. Forget about whom he thinks we would go after for just a minute and take in the facts of the article.. Releasing Jake would free up over 6mil on the Cap for next season. If he was released how could we use the money and fill his position to rebound the team?

Thus the same reason Gannt proposed in his article that Jake's contract should be reworked. There are several ways to skin a cat.

They could just as easily restructure the deal, pay him a bonus now for extending him one or two years and then reduce the cap hit over the next 3 years instead of all next season. That would be a win win all the way around and he doesn't have to be released.

Why would you want to extend someone who is 34 years old and could have lingering elbow problems?

Why would you want to extend someone who is 34 years old and could have lingering elbow problems?

Because he doesn't have elbow problems anymore, can be very good when he is on and has 2 or 3 years left to play. Look no further than Kurt Warner for your answer. last year he was injured and people said he was washed up. This year he is rejuvenated, all-pro and may be headed to the Super bowl.

Who is better right now who is available? Remember carr and Testeverde last year???

Nuff said!

Man, i think im depressed or something. As long as I've been a panther fan(since 01), I've been hoping carolina finds them a franchise qb, well i thought that was jake and was conviced since day 1 he played. Now i realize that Jake needs to be paid alot less, or be let go. I wanna see Matt Moore in there next season, and definitely not that bum anderson. Whatever happens Jake, I gotcha back and always will. Dont stop making those Bojangles commercials!!!!!!

Archived