• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

cruise help?

Steve Smith

I could be mistaken but I think Norwegian does things a bit different than other cruise lines. I think they call it free style cruising. I'd be sure to find out what all is included in the price. I know a lot of cruise lines have food and such that is extra to the price so just double check that.

What islands are you going to?

You'll save a lot of money booking whatever you do on the island online before hand through locals than through the cruise ships. I like to at least once do an all inclusive day at the beach. Typically you get chairs, umbrellas, lunch and an open bar. Those days are always relaxing.

I took the Norwegian Pearl last year...

Cat is correct on the "Freestyle" cruising thing... but what it means is:

Food is pretty much included... The buffet is much more nicer and has a wider selection than the Royal Caribbean cruise I have been on...

However, they have some "specialty" restaurants on board that charge a cover fee... We went to one, and it is $25 a person and by reservation.... There is a dress code (granted, it is less strict than other lines (slacks and a polo will work, just no shorts)) but you get a full course meal with appetizers, entrees, and desserts, and you can order the whole menu if you want (every appetizer, entree, or dessert just for yourself) and not have to pay extra (although, some selections do carry an extra $10 or so charge (I think my wife got a fillet Mignon with lobster tail and it was an extra $10))...

Like most cruises, you'll pay for your alcohol and soda (although you can purchase a cup that is refillable with soda for your entire cruise for like $55 the first day)...

Norwegian is different from most other cruises, in that they automatically charge a flat "per diem" charge to your credit card for each day of the cruise that covers your tips to the staff members (your room attendant, servers, etc.)... I can't remember how much ours was, but I want to say it was in the range of $14-$24 a day per person... But it saves you the hassle of tipping people that you don't really deal with (head staff at specialty restaurants you don't go to, etc.)...

For the Bahamas, I hope you get to go to their private island (I think it is Great Stirrup Cay?)... It isn't much... they have a barbecue setup with free food, a straw market, and a snorkel shop... This was one of our most fun stops though, because you have the beach to yourself and your fellow shipmates, and the snorkeling is great! You can freely swim out to a depth of however deep you like and see all kinds of tropical wildlife (I got within 5 feet of a barracuda big enough to tear off my arm, and near a lion fish and a stingray...)...

On your other stops, I would do at least some sort of excursion just to see what they are like... On our last one (7 days) we only did one excursion, and the rest of the time just took a cab to the best beach... Some people even stay on the ship the whole time to enjoy the lesser crowd and relax in the pool or something...

You can't go wrong with a cruise really though... Go to some of the on-ship activities and shows (they had an adult (nothing too risque) gameshow after hours on ours that was a blast!)... Learn the buffet times the first day and make sure to hit them up when open... You can always get a burger and fries somewhere on the ship if you get too hungry at odd hours... We ate at 3 AM one night... lol

Don't drink too much, and stay away from seemingly shady areas (and the ganja) on the islands and you'll be fine... Most of the folks in the Bahamas, from my experience, are totally cool...

Norwegian's staff was awesome too, and don't be afraid to ask if you have questions about anything while you are with them...

Get to the port early too, as the line for departure can get pretty long... Make sure you have your passport and all that ready to go... Have a credit card ready to associate with your ship pass/room key...

Again, you can't go too wrong with a cruise, and I know you'll have a blast!

i'm looking to go on a cruise sometime in november to the bahamas. does anyone have advice?

i'm looking at a 5 day 4 night trip with norwegian cruise line on the norwegian sky

Can't go wrong with a cruise. My wife is a Travel Agent for Triple A, been a Travel Agent for 25 years. We've done a crap load of cruises. Prepare to have a good time.

Archived