• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Insight into Scherer's approach

Mr. Scot

Something that just came to mind was how a lot of reports stated that Jake felt like he had a completely new arm after the surgery. One would think that if he was playing through the pain for that long that some of his tendencies in his technique were due to the adjustment from the pain.

Like you said Mr. Scot, it doesn't seem that working on those accepts weren't focused on by McCoy. With Jake's "new" arm, a lot of his technique had to have need erred by the habits before.

Good deduction.

Scherer may have to approach Jake the way a physical therapist approaches a guy learning to walk again.

How can a QB coach teach a student how to use his his vision to scan the whole field and throw to the WR that is not double covered? Don't only look at one receiver.

How can a QB coach teach consistant accuracy? This is something a QB either has or he has not. How can a QB force the ball in if he is not accurate?

Sometimes you can teach an old dog new tricks and sometimes its just better to get a new dog.

Exactly Jake is average people

QB Coaching for Dummies...

A. Don't throw it to the other team.

B. Don't throw it to a guy thet draws triple coverage

B1. If player A has triple coverage, somebody has no coverage.

C. We generally have more than one WR on the field.

D. If nobody is open, throw it out of bounds.

QB Coaching for Dummies...

A. Don't throw it to the other team.

B. Don't throw it to a guy thet draws triple coverage

B1. If player A has triple coverage, somebody has no coverage.

C. We generally have more than one WR on the field.

D. If nobody is open, throw it out of bounds.

If you actually think it's that simple, you're dreaming.

Thinking back to the times I've seen training camp practices, when I watched the QBs, there are only a few basic things I remember.

- the barrel drill (spectator favorite)

- practicing 'drop back and pass'

- seven on seven/scrimmage

Although I won't claim to have looked for it every time, I can't recall seeing a time when someone was with Jake or any of the other QBs that looked like they were working on mechanics, reads, etc.

Maybe it happened other times. Maybe it didn't. Regardless, it makes me wonder.

we have a vet QB who hasn't properly been coached in years

Magnus...you aren't around here much but KK likes mainly to sling insults in lieu of any actual insight or opinion. He's mostly a denizen of the political forums and the lounge :)

I don't think it is a coincidence how much Jake raves about Mike McCarthy, the guy who coached him when he wasn't even a starter, and his influence and assistance with his development. He won't criticize anyone in the media ever, but I have to wonder how much coaching he has received from Henning/McCoy. I wouldn't expect him to get QB specific coaching from Davidson since Davidson has never coached QBs.

I don't think it is a coincidence how much Jake raves about Mike McCarthy, the guy who coached him when he wasn't even a starter, and his influence and assistance with his development. He won't criticize anyone in the media ever, but I have to wonder how much coaching he has received from Henning/McCoy. I wouldn't expect him to get QB specific coaching from Davidson since Davidson has never 0 5/coached QBs.

(I disavow any and all typos in this post because1 one of my parrots is suddenly fascinated with my keyboard)

Jake has generally been the star pupil in the John Fox School of How to Say Nothing, but he's still the pupil, not the master. As such, he occasionally let's a thing or two slip.

Talking about the offense back in 06, he said in a presser, "I know it seems like we're running the same plays over and over again." Truth be told, it did, and they were, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't on the approved list of comments. And it let you know that the issue was at least in the back of his mind too.

And then there's this, although technically this is Scherer quoting Jake and not Jake himself. You can clearly get the impression that Jake feels the need to work on these things, and the incident you pointed up adds fuel to the idea.

Scherer may not have enrolled in Foxspeak 101 yet. I don't know when the semester starts

(anybody got a calendar?)

Good post.

As an aside, I love how some of the same folks who complain that Jake locks onto Steve Smith too often turn around and say that Smith would have more catches if he had a different QB throwing to him. Too much, or not enough? Gotta pick one folks, it can't be both (and don't bother trying to negotiate it).

If there's one thing that seems to be continually misunderstood by many, it's the concept of reads. People think QBs are supposed to sit back and look over every single read and then make a decision. That's not how it works. Some plays there isn't even time to do that (hence why you have a "hot read" as a safety valve).

You go to your primary read first. If he's open, you throw it to him. That's how the play is designed. Only if he's not open do you move on to the next, and the next, etc.

The primary read on most Panther plays is going to be Steve Smith. And as has been alluded to, Smitty is always open.

Why do you think so many of Kurt Warner's passes come out so quick? His first read is generally Fitzgerald, and Fitzgerald knows how to get open. That's a prime reason why Philly got picked apart the way they did (us too).

Also watch the Colts. Same goes for Manning...looks like usually the first option gets it since it comes out so quick. He doesn't have to sit there looking...looking.....looking that much. Part of why he doesn't get sacked often.

Talking about the offense back in 06, he said in a presser, "I know it seems like we're running the same plays over and over again." Truth be told, it did, and they were, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't on the approved list of comments. And it let you know that the issue was at least in the back of his mind too.

If he said we WERE running the same plays I would agree. The "seems" makes me think he wanted to dispel that perception... at least to the press/fans....regardless of his actual feelings about it. I could be wrong but I think that he also went on to say things like it is up to the players to execute, etc. when queried about adjustments. I don't recall a single time I felt he was really being critical of Henning or his playcalling. I do think that he is very happy that Davidson has put more on his plate compared to Henning though because he has commented about that several times. I think that may have been the bigger issue with Henning.

If he said we WERE running the same plays I would agree. The "seems" makes me think he wanted to dispel that perception... at least to the press/fans....regardless of his actual feelings about it. I could be wrong but I think that he also went on to say things like it is up to the players to execute, etc. when queried about adjustments. I don't recall a single time I felt he was really being critical of Henning or his playcalling. I do think that he is very happy that Davidson has put more on his plate compared to Henning though because he has commented about that several times. I think that may have been the bigger issue with Henning.

I think it was a "back of his mind" thing, in part because I don't believe Jake follows the press or fan perceptions. I wondered if there wasn't some grumbling on the part of other offensive guys that made it's way into his head (similar to Wahle's "every play on one" comments).

I think it was a "back of his mind" thing, in part because I don't believe Jake follows the press or fan perceptions. I wondered if there wasn't some grumbling on the part of other offensive guys that made it's way into his head (similar to Wahle's "every play on one" comments).

Yeah I agree that he likely doesn't follow that, but it may have been opined to him by the media that it was their and fan perception and he was answering it. I don't think he brought it up on his own.

And your point about other players is a good one. I do recall Proehl's questioning the playcalling a bit in 2005 I think. If I recall correctly some thought was here that it may have been why they didn't bring him back in 2006 and Henning got to bring HIS guy in, Keyshawn.

Archived