• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trust and Interference

Mr. Scot

I think the SOLE reason Marty was fired was AJ Smith's ego, but that's just me.

Look at how Smith has talked about LdT in the press if you want an example.

Can't agree, you don't fire Bill belichek because you don't like him unless the court of public opinion is at least partially on your side.

AJ handled that badly, LT again shows his stupidity. But huge numbers of fans wanted a change due to Schotty's inability to win in the playoffs. Ownership agreed and I suspect some players as well.

I think the SOLE reason Marty was fired was AJ Smith's ego, but that's just me.

Look at how Smith has talked about LdT in the press if you want an example.

The ego clash, but Spanos may have made the right move. I now shudder to think of the 07 Chargers with Shelmon as OC and Kurt Schottenheimer as DC.

The ego clash, but Spanos may have made the right move. I now shudder to think of the 07 Chargers with Shelmon as OC and Kurt Schottenheimer as DC.

That certainly played a part and the fact that AJ waited to can Schotty until after both his coordinators took other jobs was one of the reasons Norv Turner was all that was left.

Can't agree, you don't fire Bill belichek because you don't like him unless the court of public opinion is at least partially on your side.

AJ handled that badly, LT again shows his stupidity. But huge numbers of fans wanted a change due to Schotty's inability to win in the playoffs. Ownership agreed and I suspect some players as well.

Art Modell fired Belichick (IMO) due to his wishing he were better with the media and his own lack of football knowledge and ego. Of course, he fired Paul Brown as well...so that's a bad example. :D

If he fired Schotty due to fan opinion, I feel that was the wrong reason. People should be fired and hired based on their abilities...period. Including their ability to get along with managment sometimes. That just wasn't the case in SD with Schotty and Smith, for whatever reason. IMO I actually don't think Schotty was the reason the Chargers didn't beat the NYJ in the playoffs (2004?) either. His kicker missed a bunch of FGs. There was a LB on the NYJ named Barton who committed an absolutely EGREGIOUS penalty on Brees and had the Jets not won that game, HE might have been run out of town as the goat. And IMO Schotty sure wasn't the reason the Chargers didn't beat the Pats in 2006. I think Cats fans should know who the perceived goat of that one is...McCree.

I am not one to defend LdT because I don't think he was 100% in the "right" either with some of what he said, but one would hope that an executive of a team could show a bit more public restraint than a player could.

If he fired Schotty due to fan opinion, I feel that was the wrong reason. People should be fired and hired based on their abilities...period. Including their ability to get along with managment sometimes. That just wasn't the case in SD with Schotty and Smith, for whatever reason.

It just wasn't destined for the Bolts after GM John Butler, who built much of the roster in the early 2000s succumbed to cancer in 2003. Schotty was already the coach and Smith took over in 2003. Problems followed between the two maybe partly becuse Schotty was Butlers guy. Anyway, two "one and dones" in the playoffs with maybe the most talented roster in the AFC will get you canned.

Schottenheimer's MO long before he was the Chargers coach was "great regular season coach, folds in the playoffs".

Other coaches of similar pedigree (some who overcame, and some who didn't):

Dennis Green

Tony Dungy

Bill Cowher

Any recent coach of the Dallas Cowboys

If a DC or OC isn't getting it done to the expectations of the team, I fully expect the head coach to do something about it.

So I'm happy Trgo is gone. It's obvious he needed a fresh change, and not as much responsibility.

To answer your question, I'd like a DC that can get the job done, but if not, isn't going to be upset that a defensive minded head coach puts in his 2 cents.

Archived